martin

I have a problem, my pc boots up ok, but all i get is the desktop background
picture, no icons, task bar or anything else!! I have tried "starting with
most recent settings that worked" and tried reinstalling from the original
cd-rom. But to no avail.
I think "Explorer" is corupt how can i re-install without losing all my data??

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Martin wrote:

> I have a problem, my pc boots up ok, but all i get is the desktop background
> picture, no icons, task bar or anything else!! I have tried "starting with
> most recent settings that worked" and tried reinstalling from the original
> cd-rom. But to no avail.
> I think "Explorer" is corupt how can i re-install without losing all my data??

You're post is a bit unclear. What exactly did you do right before the
problem started? Install any new hardware or software? Is the system
malware clean? How do you check for malware? Also what do you mean by
"tried reinstalling from the original cd-rom"? What exactly did you do
and what happened that it was "But to no avail"?

One cause of this sort of problem is a corrupt user profile. Try
creating a new user account. When the system boots do ctrl-alt-del.
Does that bring up the task manager. If so click the Applications tab,
then New Task. Type in explorer.exe and click ok. Does the desktop
start? If so go to control panel, user accounts and create a new
account, then restart and log into that account. Does it open ok?

If so copy the settings from the old profile to the new, then delete the
old.

How to Copy a User Profile
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783