I have a network that uses a cable modem, a router, and a switcher and 3 XP
Home computers.
The three computers each get to the network via the router, that is there is
not one special computer. They are all equal.
All three can access the Internet OK.
Two see each other and share folders and printers.

The other one, when I do "View workgroup computers" I get the error dialog
saying:
Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network
resource...
List of servers for this workgroup is not available.

Also NetworkPlaces is empty.

If I do IPCONFIG/All on one of the working computers the listing includes
the statement:
DNS Suffix Search List...

If I do IPCONFIG/All on the non-working computer the listing does not
include that statement.

I been comparing any network/connection property on the two computers I can
find and they are the same except for the one mentioned above and of course
the ip addresses (I think they are 192.68.1.100, 192.68.1.101,
192.68.1.102).

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:58:10 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com>
>
>| I have a network that uses a cable modem, a router, and a switcher and 3 XP
>| Home computers.
>| The three computers each get to the network via the router, that is there is
>| not one special computer. They are all equal.
>| All three can access the Internet OK.
>| Two see each other and share folders and printers.
>|
>| The other one, when I do "View workgroup computers" I get the error dialog
>| saying:
>| Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network
>| resource...
>| List of servers for this workgroup is not available.
>|
>| Also NetworkPlaces is empty.
>|
>| If I do IPCONFIG/All on one of the working computers the listing includes
>| the statement:
>| DNS Suffix Search List...
>|
>| If I do IPCONFIG/All on the non-working computer the listing does not
>| include that statement.
>|
>| I been comparing any network/connection property on the two computers I can
>| find and they are the same except for the one mentioned above and of course
>| the ip addresses (I think they are 192.68.1.100, 192.68.1.101,
>| 192.68.1.102).
>|

>Make sure NetBIOS over IP is enabled on all platforms.
>
>Use NBTSTAT to check all peers systems for NetBIOS information from the POV of all systems.
>Example;
>in a Command prompt window enter..
>nbtstat -A 192.68.1.100
>nbtstat -A 192.68.1.101
>
>Make sure all platforms have the same Username and Passwords.
>
>As always I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on any SOHO Router.

There is absolutely no need to run NetBIOS over IP. All that is
needed it TCP/IP and all will be fine, IF the network protocols are
set properly.

From: "NobodyMan" <none@none.net>

| There is absolutely no need to run NetBIOS over IP. All that is
| needed it TCP/IP and all will be fine, IF the network protocols are
| set properly.

But things aren't fine are they ? Ergo, the post.

NetBIOS over IP gives diagnostics capabilities that plain SMB doesn't.
Now if he can get all computers to communicate properly and resolve this issue then the OP
can decide if he/she needs to use just plain SMB.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Do you have a suggestion as to what might produce that error message or what
I can do to proceed?

Thanks

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:58:10 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>>From: " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com>
>>
>>| I have a network that uses a cable modem, a router, and a switcher and 3
>>XP
>>| Home computers.
>>| The three computers each get to the network via the router, that is
>>there is
>>| not one special computer. They are all equal.
>>| All three can access the Internet OK.
>>| Two see each other and share folders and printers.
>>|
>>| The other one, when I do "View workgroup computers" I get the error
>>dialog
>>| saying:
>>| Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the
>>network
>>| resource...
>>| List of servers for this workgroup is not available.
>>|
>>| Also NetworkPlaces is empty.
>>|
>>| If I do IPCONFIG/All on one of the working computers the listing
>>includes
>>| the statement:
>>| DNS Suffix Search List...
>>|
>>| If I do IPCONFIG/All on the non-working computer the listing does not
>>| include that statement.
>>|
>>| I been comparing any network/connection property on the two computers I
>>can
>>| find and they are the same except for the one mentioned above and of
>>course
>>| the ip addresses (I think they are 192.68.1.100, 192.68.1.101,
>>| 192.68.1.102).
>>|

>>Make sure NetBIOS over IP is enabled on all platforms.
>>
>>Use NBTSTAT to check all peers systems for NetBIOS information from the
>>POV of all systems.
>>Example;
>>in a Command prompt window enter..
>>nbtstat -A 192.68.1.100
>>nbtstat -A 192.68.1.101
>>
>>Make sure all platforms have the same Username and Passwords.
>>
>>As always I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on
>>any SOHO Router.
>
> There is absolutely no need to run NetBIOS over IP. All that is
> needed it TCP/IP and all will be fine, IF the network protocols are
> set properly.

Thanks for the suggestions