Al

I've 'locked' my desktop icon locations, but every time my screen resolution
changes (which my system seemingly does by itself every few days - another
problem) the icon order is changed. Suggestions?

--
Al

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Al wrote:
> I've 'locked' my desktop icon locations, but every time my screen resolution
> changes (which my system seemingly does by itself every few days - another
> problem) the icon order is changed. Suggestions?

Run the edit on Kelly's site at
Line 188: Add Save & Restore Desktop Layout to Menu

When this edit is run it will create two new options in the context menu
that appears when right clicking on a blank area of the desktop - Save
Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout.

See the top of the page for info on running the edit.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've 'locked' my desktop icon locations, but every time my screen
> resolution
> changes (which my system seemingly does by itself every few days - another
> problem) the icon order is changed. Suggestions?
>
> --
> Al

Any time changes are happening to your computer without your permission or
input, the first thing to do is find out why. It sounds like virus
behaviour to me.

I'd start with a good virus scan, and see if anything turns up. Once it's
clean, then a adware scan, then maybe a defrag is in order.

Al

Thank you Jone. I DID have a virus, cleaned it, did a total scan and the
problem (screen resolution changing) recurred subsequently. Now, that
doesn't necessarily mean I'm virus-free! What is an adware scan? Presumably
looking for pop-ups planted by some vendor? What software does that?
--
Al

"Jone Doe" wrote:

> "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've 'locked' my desktop icon locations, but every time my screen
> > resolution
> > changes (which my system seemingly does by itself every few days - another
> > problem) the icon order is changed. Suggestions?
> >
> > --
> > Al
>
> Any time changes are happening to your computer without your permission or
> input, the first thing to do is find out why. It sounds like virus
> behaviour to me.
>
> I'd start with a good virus scan, and see if anything turns up. Once it's
> clean, then a adware scan, then maybe a defrag is in order.

Al

Thanks, Rock, I'll do it!
--
Al

"Rock" wrote:

> Al wrote:
> > I've 'locked' my desktop icon locations, but every time my screen resolution
> > changes (which my system seemingly does by itself every few days - another
> > problem) the icon order is changed. Suggestions?
> >

> Run the edit on Kelly's site at
> Line 188: Add Save & Restore Desktop Layout to Menu
>
> When this edit is run it will create two new options in the context menu
> that appears when right clicking on a blank area of the desktop - Save
> Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout.
>
> See the top of the page for info on running the edit.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Al wrote:

> Thank you Jone. I DID have a virus, cleaned it, did a total scan and
> the
> problem (screen resolution changing) recurred subsequently. Now, that
> doesn't necessarily mean I'm virus-free! What is an adware scan?
> Presumably
> looking for pop-ups planted by some vendor? What software does that?

See here:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers