Sign in with
Your question

emergency please respond

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 4, 2004 5:44:24 AM

ok i got a serious problem here. I know this is not the right place but I need this answered as soon as possible and posting in win2000 section just isn't gonna cut it. Basically im working on this job with my cousin and we ran into some trouble. We built a 21 pc LAN Gaming setup and we choose win2k for the OS. The problem is setting up a User account on each PC with extremely restricted access. We want an Admin account to go in and have full access and also 1 user or guest account with extremely high restrictions.

the real problem now for me is my cousin is very sick and now im stuck here by myself and now i got to get this fixed extremely quick.

If someone can explain in awesome detail how i would go about this step by step it would be greatly appreciated.

all we need is for the kids to have a guest account with password they would log in to access the desktop but have no options except to click on the desktop ICONS we WANT. Some Game icons like Steam and game shortcuts, other then that, no my documents, no programs, no hard drives, no My Computer. no right click and be able to add new folders and stuff like that...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

ROB.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

More about : emergency respond

March 4, 2004 5:53:32 AM

dont think there is a real easy way of doing this, but the first thing that comes to my mind is just to use the local admin access for unrestricted access. and just make a user for every one else to log onto, and use explicit deny settings for everything you dont want them to use. in win2k as a non admin they shouldnt be able to do a whole lot, but some things they can do. the best option would be, if it was on a domain that is, is to use group policies to restrict access, you can get pretty freaking detailed with that, right down to taking away the start button. not sure if that can be done outside a domain, let me do some experimenting and get back to you in a few.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!
March 4, 2004 6:01:23 AM

start/run gpedit.msc. that snap in shoul allow you to do everything you want, im not 100% sure, but it shouldnt affect the administrator accounts.

Related resources
March 4, 2004 6:24:55 AM

WOW MAN thanks a TON.... WHEN I GET to the GPEDIT.msc what would i do to basically take away everything from the user account group

wow you are so much help man..thanks a lot

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
March 4, 2004 6:42:49 AM

everything you need to look at is in the administrative templates. do just go off disabling everything, run some tests, make sure it doesnt affect the adminsitrator account. just do what you need, if you get rid of the stuff in the taskbar, get rid of the stuff on the desktop, the only way of getting anywhere is by the taskmanager (you can run new tasks from there), by windows shortcut keys, and creating shortcuts on the desktop, but im pretty sure theres ways around those things in the gpedit.

March 4, 2004 6:43:56 AM

just checked, yea its all in there.

March 4, 2004 6:44:56 AM

man, now you got me curious about some things, might have to build a new box to experiment on with that. ive never had to lock down a computer before, might try and see just how locked down it can get.

March 4, 2004 7:06:08 AM

thank for you help. but i found a 10 times better way to do this and if you wanna lock down your computer insanely download 1st security agent. It allows you to lock EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING you can think of. It's like the TWEAK XP of security, thank you so much for you input and help, but thank god i found this. Basically you just load the application and select the user and go down a HUGE!!! list of what you want to disable

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
!