Not always Dells Fault

For my sins I am a person that works as a field engineer for Dell, and
whilst 99% of my calls are for genuine hardware failures their is the odd
occasion when its nothing to do with the H/W it's down to the customer,
today for eg. I went to a call to a brand new machine the user saying his
DVD writer would not work, I'd already guessed what the problem might be
before I knocked on the door and yep I was right he was using the wrong
media IE. using -RW instead of +RW now some might try and blame Dell saying
they should support both conventions, that maybe but they don't and so the
ownus is on the user to RTFM - Read The ****ing Manual
14 answers Last reply
More about dells fault

    "Fixer" <steve.h1m@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > For my sins I am a person that works as a field engineer for Dell, and
    > whilst 99% of my calls are for genuine hardware failures their is the odd
    > occasion when its nothing to do with the H/W it's down to the customer,
    > today for eg. I went to a call to a brand new machine the user saying his
    > DVD writer would not work, I'd already guessed what the problem might be
    > before I knocked on the door and yep I was right he was using the wrong
    > media IE. using -RW instead of +RW now some might try and blame Dell
    saying
    > they should support both conventions, that maybe but they don't and so the
    > ownus is on the user to RTFM - Read The ****ing Manual

    And prior to dispatching you, the moron and the Drll Help Desk did not
    confirm proper media was being used???

    Are you from India?
    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

    > "Fixer" <steve.h1m@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > For my sins I am a person that works as a field engineer for Dell, and
    > > whilst 99% of my calls are for genuine hardware failures their is the
    odd
    > > occasion when its nothing to do with the H/W it's down to the customer,
    > > today for eg. I went to a call to a brand new machine the user saying
    his
    > > DVD writer would not work, I'd already guessed what the problem might be
    > > before I knocked on the door and yep I was right he was using the wrong
    > > media IE. using -RW instead of +RW now some might try and blame Dell
    > saying
    > > they should support both conventions, that maybe but they don't and so
    the
    > > ownus is on the user to RTFM - Read The ****ing Manual
    > >

    > And prior to dispatching you, the moron and the Drll Help Desk did not
    > confirm proper media was being used???

    Now why would I be from India???? I said I was a Field Service engineer not
    a Call Technician (term used loosely) working in the Bangalore Call centre
    "Kevin M" <kman@msn.net> wrote in message
    > Are you from India?
    > "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Fixer" <steve.h1m@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > > For my sins I am a person that works as a field engineer for Dell, and
    > > > whilst 99% of my calls are for genuine hardware failures their is the
    > odd
    > > > occasion when its nothing to do with the H/W it's down to the
    customer,
    > > > today for eg. I went to a call to a brand new machine the user saying
    > his
    > > > DVD writer would not work, I'd already guessed what the problem might
    be
    > > > before I knocked on the door and yep I was right he was using the
    wrong
    > > > media IE. using -RW instead of +RW now some might try and blame Dell
    > > saying
    > > > they should support both conventions, that maybe but they don't and so
    > the
    > > > ownus is on the user to RTFM - Read The ****ing Manual
    > > >

    > > And prior to dispatching you, the moron and the Drll Help Desk did not
    > > confirm proper media was being used???

    Based on personal experiences, I guess I just associate Dell with
    incompetence and/or India.

    Kevin M wrote:

    > Based on personal experiences, I guess I just associate Dell with
    > incompetence and/or India.

    How kind of you. It is singularly unfortunate that
    the Western world has become one for the technically
    challenged who is no longer capable of maintaining
    the very devices that had made it so strong. But did
    not the Roman Empire and a lot of many others tumble
    because the populace needed to depend on the emerging
    worlds or the overwhelmed intelligentsia of its own
    to keep the technology going? It is frustrating all
    over. I am sure that the university-trained engineers
    and computer scientists in India and other third world
    countries would like to be doing other things for which
    they were educated if not for the need to earn a decent
    living and strive for better standards of living.

    Kevin M wrote:

    > Are you from India?

    Making house calls in the US? Doesn't seem like a good way to reduce
    expenses to me. ;)

    I think his point is should have never gotten to tech support if the user
    had bothered to open their eyes and read some documentation.

    "skids" <skids@skidmore.com> wrote in message
    > I think his point is should have never gotten to tech support if the user
    > had bothered to open their eyes and read some documentation.

    That still does not excuse the fact that after calling tech support THEY
    also did not find the solution. BASIC troubleshooting (even from a script)
    should have caught this.

    Similar for me - work for a company who contracts for Dell to do servicing.
    I was too stunned to answer one client who blamed Dell for not knowing the
    cause of her modem not working was because she had plugged the modem cable
    into her network card. Personally I felt like saying she was too stupid to
    own a computer as she couldn't read the large colour pictorial page they
    ship with a dimension showing where to plug in the cables.
    I probably get about one of those faults per month - even on laptops where
    the sockets are on different sides.

    "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Similar for me - work for a company who contracts for Dell to do
    servicing.
    > I was too stunned to answer one client who blamed Dell for not knowing the
    > cause of her modem not working was because she had plugged the modem cable
    > into her network card. Personally I felt like saying she was too stupid
    > own a computer as she couldn't read the large colour pictorial page they
    > ship with a dimension showing where to plug in the cables.
    > I probably get about one of those faults per month - even on laptops where
    > the sockets are on different sides.

    Again I ask....where was Dell Technical Support? This problam and that of
    the original poster should have been caught by them during 'BASIC'
    troubleshooting. So yep!, the fact you went on a service call was Dells
    fault. They did not properly troubleshoot and educate the customer.

    > > "Fixer" <steve.h1m@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > > For my sins I am a person that works as a field engineer for Dell, and
    > > > whilst 99% of my calls are for genuine hardware failures their is the
    > odd
    > > > occasion when its nothing to do with the H/W it's down to the
    customer,
    > > > today for eg. I went to a call to a brand new machine the user saying
    > his
    > > > DVD writer would not work, I'd already guessed what the problem might
    be
    > > > before I knocked on the door and yep I was right he was using the
    wrong
    > > > media IE. using -RW instead of +RW now some might try and blame Dell
    > > saying
    > > > they should support both conventions, that maybe but they don't and so
    > the
    > > > ownus is on the user to RTFM - Read The ****ing Manual
    > > >

    > "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > Similar for me - work for a company who contracts for Dell to do
    > servicing.
    > > I was too stunned to answer one client who blamed Dell for not knowing
    the
    > > cause of her modem not working was because she had plugged the modem
    cable
    > > into her network card. Personally I felt like saying she was too stupid
    > > own a computer as she couldn't read the large colour pictorial page they
    > > ship with a dimension showing where to plug in the cables.
    > > I probably get about one of those faults per month - even on laptops
    where
    > > the sockets are on different sides.
    >
    > Again I ask....where was Dell Technical Support? This problam and that of
    > the original poster should have been caught by them during 'BASIC'
    > troubleshooting. So yep!, the fact you went on a service call was Dells
    > fault. They did not properly troubleshoot and educate the customer.

    So without ever driving you buy a car, get behind the wheel & drive. Don't
    bother getting any lessons or reading road rules - yeh right.
    A bit like the people that never have the clock set on the VCR.

    Robert wrote:
    > So without ever driving you buy a car, get behind the wheel & drive. Don't
    > bother getting any lessons or reading road rules - yeh right.
    > A bit like the people that never have the clock set on the VCR.

    About driving a car --- I certainly hope not. But there
    is a lot of reality behind stories about the VCR. The US,
    among others, has become a country of illiterates. And,
    of course, there is Bill Gates and his vision of Windows
    and computers as "appliances", that just need to be turned
    on by dumbed-down users.

    "Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

    > Robert wrote:
    > > So without ever driving you buy a car, get behind the wheel & drive.
    Don't
    > > bother getting any lessons or reading road rules - yeh right.
    > > A bit like the people that never have the clock set on the VCR.
    > >

    > About driving a car --- I certainly hope not. But there
    > is a lot of reality behind stories about the VCR. The US,
    > among others, has become a country of illiterates. And,
    > of course, there is Bill Gates and his vision of Windows
    > and computers as "appliances", that just need to be turned
    > on by dumbed-down users.

    Exactly, and I as a Senior Support Tech for one of the worlds largest
    peripheral manufactures (no not Dell) deal with this everyday. Grandma and
    Grandpa walk into Worst Buy wanting what is needed to email pictures to
    little Jimmy and the salesman sends them out the door with a P4 3Ghz system
    with all the bells and whistles. Granted, once they have a problem and call
    in we get them going, but most are in fact clueless and this is where
    EXPERIENCE techs make the difference on the other end of the phone.

    Now the question is, can a Level 1 tech dispatch service at Dell, or did it
    take a Level 2 idiot to do this!?

Dell Internet Explorer Computers