Best strategy for testing an application across Win2K, XP,..

First, if this is not the appropriate forum please point me to the proper
one.

We have a Clinical application (client/server architecture, although quite a
few single computer installations) that we need to validate across our
targeted supported operating systems. I have searched the MSDN knowledgebase
for information (hopefully a matrix of differences between the different
operating systems)... unfortuanately I haven't found anything useful to
date.

Our belief is that these operating systems are essentially equivalent [at
least as far as the kernel/sdk functionality we use], but we are having one
heck of a time "proving" it.

We would obviously prefer not to have to "brute force" the validation using
all the combinations and permutations of these operating systems (service
packs, languages - 16 so far, mainly Latin code page).

Does anyone have guidance on how they have approached this kind of issue?

Regards, Mike Niemann

Mike Niemann wrote:

> First, if this is not the appropriate forum please point me to the proper
> one.
>
> We have a Clinical application (client/server architecture, although quite a
> few single computer installations) that we need to validate across our
> targeted supported operating systems. I have searched the MSDN knowledgebase
> for information (hopefully a matrix of differences between the different
> operating systems)... unfortuanately I haven't found anything useful to
> date.
>
> Our belief is that these operating systems are essentially equivalent [at
> least as far as the kernel/sdk functionality we use], but we are having one
> heck of a time "proving" it.
>
> We would obviously prefer not to have to "brute force" the validation using
> all the combinations and permutations of these operating systems (service
> packs, languages - 16 so far, mainly Latin code page).
>
> Does anyone have guidance on how they have approached this kind of issue?
>
> Regards, Mike Niemann

What type of clinical application? Medical device? Information
Systems? Medical Records? Patient billing? That is, the scope of
the validation may already be restricted to a limited number of
platforms or OS's.

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> Mike Niemann wrote:
>
> > First, if this is not the appropriate forum please point me to the
proper
> > one.
> >
> > We have a Clinical application (client/server architecture, although
quite a
> > few single computer installations) that we need to validate across our
> > targeted supported operating systems. I have searched the MSDN
knowledgebase
> > for information (hopefully a matrix of differences between the different
> > operating systems)... unfortuanately I haven't found anything useful to
> > date.
> >
> > Our belief is that these operating systems are essentially equivalent
[at
> > least as far as the kernel/sdk functionality we use], but we are having
one
> > heck of a time "proving" it.
> >
> > We would obviously prefer not to have to "brute force" the validation
using
> > all the combinations and permutations of these operating systems
(service
> > packs, languages - 16 so far, mainly Latin code page).
> >
> > Does anyone have guidance on how they have approached this kind of
issue?

> > Regards, Mike Niemann
>

> What type of clinical application? Medical device? Information
> Systems? Medical Records? Patient billing? That is, the scope of
> the validation may already be restricted to a limited number of
> platforms or OS's.

Yes this application is an accessory to a Medical device, and has medical
records and billing support.

What I am hoping to do is find a comprehensive "differences" matrix for the
OS's we support, so that mitigations can be developed, or specific testing
testing done to confirm the application operates as expected in each
environment. At the superficial level, all these OS's should be functionally
equivalent (since they are based on NT), but there are differences...
However, we have been unable to find such an official "differences list" on
the Microsoft web site(s).

Regards, Mike Niemann