XP Home to XP Pro

September 13, 2005 8:57:16 PM

Hi I have a new machine with XP Home on which I am going to upgrade to XP
Pro

Is it better to clean off drive and do a reinstall with XP Pro, or is it
possible to simply do an upgrade, and if so are their likely to be issues
down the line?

Cheers

More about : home pro

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 8:57:17 PM

It's all subjective, Fresh removes all traces of existing programs and
settings but takes longer to re-create a fully configured system. Doing
an upgrade is easier & quicker but always has the potential to carry
forward any issues present in the original setup. If your current setup
is working to your requirements, then Image it (As a fall-back measure)
and proceed with the upgrade. Regardless of the approach, I would
at the least make sure all your irreplaceable data is backed up. There
isn't a case I've found of having "Too" many backups.

"Alex H" <somone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi I have a new machine with XP Home on which I am going to upgrade to XP
> Pro
>
> Is it better to clean off drive and do a reinstall with XP Pro, or is it
> possible to simply do an upgrade, and if so are their likely to be issues
> down the line?
>
> Cheers

September 13, 2005 8:57:17 PM

The "NT to NT" upgrades fare a lot better than the ""DOS/Windows" to NT"
"upgrades". I would go with the upgrade but as mentioned by R.McCarty,
always have a current backup, in the case things go pear shaped.

Alex H wrote:

> Hi I have a new machine with XP Home on which I am going to upgrade to XP
> Pro
>
> Is it better to clean off drive and do a reinstall with XP Pro, or is it
> possible to simply do an upgrade, and if so are their likely to be issues
> down the line?
>
> Cheers

September 13, 2005 8:57:17 PM

Alex H wrote:
> Hi I have a new machine with XP Home on which I am going to upgrade to XP
> Pro
>
> Is it better to clean off drive and do a reinstall with XP Pro, or is it
> possible to simply do an upgrade, and if so are their likely to be issues
> down the line?

Clean install, but only if you have the CDs and Product Keys / Serial
Numbers / Activation Codes for all your installed software.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 8:57:17 PM

"Alex H" <somone@somewhere.com> wrote:

>Hi I have a new machine with XP Home on which I am going to upgrade to XP
>Pro
>
>Is it better to clean off drive and do a reinstall with XP Pro, or is it
>possible to simply do an upgrade, and if so are their likely to be issues
>down the line?

The Home to Pro upgrade will probably be the simplest and easiest OS
upgrade you'll ever do. It's always a good idea to back up data you
can't afford to lose before doing something like this, but I certainly
wouldn't bother scraping the disk and installing clean. Put the XP Pro
disk in the drive and choose "Upgrade".

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Thanks everyone.

As its a brand new laptop out of box, and has no data or programmes on it -
I'll go with the upgrade, and use the recovery disks if it all goes opear
shaped

Thanks for everyone's input
Alex
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:21:43 PM

In news:eWzgSfIuFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Alex H <AlexH@nospammer.mismet.co.uk> typed:

> Thanks everyone.
>
> As its a brand new laptop out of box, and has no data or
> programmes
> on it - I'll go with the upgrade, and use the recovery disks if
> it
> all goes opear shaped

Although that's normally the best plan, in your case it doesn't
much matter, since a clean installation isn't really much harder
than an upgrade if there are no programs or data on it.

But over and above the issue of "how," I'd like to address the
issue of "whether." Are you sure you want to do this? Are you
aware that XP Home and Professional are identical except that
Professional includes a few features (mostly related to security
and networking) missing from Home? Most home users don't need and
would never use these extra features and will see no benefits by
upgrading.

For details go to
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...

Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
connections, and Home only five.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:21:43 PM

"Alex H" <AlexH@nospammer.mismet.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks everyone.
>
>As its a brand new laptop out of box, and has no data or programmes on it -
>I'll go with the upgrade, and use the recovery disks if it all goes opear
>shaped
>
>Thanks for everyone's input
>Alex

One additional thought. What is the make and model of your laptop?

Did you check to see if the same model was available with XP Pro
preinstalled?

At least some manufacturers do offer XP Pro as an option with their
new machines, and getting it that way would be a lot less expensive
and far less hassle than purchasing a separate Pro Upgrade package.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:21:44 PM

In news:o K1RNuKuFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Alex H <AlexH@nospammer.mismet.co.uk> typed:

> Ken
>
> Thanks for your post, yes appreciate that, in fact I need to
> connect
> this laptop to our domain.

Good, then you do need Pro. I was just checking because
unfortunately a fair number of people want Pro because they
mistakenly think it's indefinably "better."

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Unfortunately, couldn't get the
> specification of Laptop with XP Pro,already installed - real
> bummer.
>
> I've c hecked with vendor and officially they state that they
> wont
> support any software issues due to change ofOS, as we have some
> 40 of
> their laptops across our company, they unofficially say it wont
> be a
> problem
September 13, 2005 11:53:45 PM

Alex H wrote:
> Hi I have a new machine with XP Home on which I am going to upgrade to XP
> Pro
>
> Is it better to clean off drive and do a reinstall with XP Pro, or is it
> possible to simply do an upgrade, and if so are their likely to be issues
> down the line?
>
> Cheers

Some people will recommend that you perform a clean installation,
rather than upgrade over an earlier OS. For the most part, I feel
that these people, while well-meaning, are living in the past, and are
basing their recommendation on their experiences with older operating
systems. You'd probably save a lot of time by upgrading your PC to
WinXP, rather than performing a clean installation, if you've no
hardware or software incompatibilities. Microsoft has greatly improved
(over earlier versions of Windows) WinXP's ability to smoothly upgrade
an earlier OS.

WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
important to you, back it up before proceeding.

The upgrade from WinXP Home to WinXP Pro, in particular, almost
always goes smoothly, as both operating systems use the same kernel.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 2:39:26 AM

Hi Ron

Thanks for your post

Yes we wanted the laptop with XP Pro, but not available with the spec we
wanted. Not really a problem since I have a dozen or soXP Pro licences
available. See my post to Ken above

C heers

Alex
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 2:23:35 PM

In article <#hQk48MuFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
bchambers@cable0ne.n3t says...
> Z wrote:
> > Alex H wrote:
>

> > Clean install,
>

> Why? There's certainly no technical reason to do so.

File Fragmentation, placement of the page file, left over artifacts that
are not needed, removal of old software that you really didn't need any
more or that you didn't know was installed. Even shrinking of the
registry.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in news:MPG.1d91c43da6d3a0b898a03a@news-
server.columbus.rr.com:

> In article <#hQk48MuFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
> bchambers@cable0ne.n3t says...
>> Z wrote:
>> > Alex H wrote:
>>

>> > Clean install,
>>

>> Why? There's certainly no technical reason to do so.
>
> File Fragmentation, placement of the page file, left over artifacts
that
> are not needed, removal of old software that you really didn't need any
> more or that you didn't know was installed. Even shrinking of the
> registry.

With a brand new system?
September 14, 2005 2:23:37 PM

Asher_N wrote:
>>> Why? There's certainly no technical reason to do so.

>> File Fragmentation, placement of the page file, left over artifacts
>> that are not needed, removal of old software that you really
>> didn't need any more or that you didn't know was installed. Even
>> shrinking of the registry.

> With a brand new system?

When I get a brand new system it's always got some stuff on it I don't
want - AOL or Earthlink offers, for example. Or McAfee 30-day / 90-day
trial software already installed. Ugh. And crippled Corel OEM s/w that
I'd rather just not have at all.

Uninstalling is an option, sure, but half the time the uninstall just
removes the hooks into the apps and the .dlls and many other remnants of
the s/w (Application Data trees, registry keys, etc) remain.

Also, the hard drive is never partitioned the way I want it (and I'm too
cheap to buy PM).
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 10:53:36 PM

Leythos wrote:

> File Fragmentation, placement of the page file, left over artifacts that
> are not needed, removal of old software that you really didn't need any
> more or that you didn't know was installed. Even shrinking of the
> registry.

None of which applies to either a properly maintained system or a new
system right out of the box.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: