Sign in with
Your question

Your Theories on a CPU I Sold

Last response: in CPUs
March 5, 2004 2:18:27 PM

So I sold a working AMD XP 2800+ (1 year old Thouroughbread core) over at Ebay. Guy gets it and then emails me this:
-------------------------------------------
hello again.

finally got a chance to install this processor and have thus far concluded it
may be dead on arrival. that is not a final verdict, so dont take offense. i
would like the history of this processor if you wouldn't mind sharing.. if it
was professionally installed/removed, when it was to your knowledge last
used/working, etc. i will further attempt to verify it's integrity tomorrow.
----------------------------------------------

It's history is I bought it OEM a year ago and have used it since then and only took it out a month ago originally to put an XP 3200+ in, but I decided to go 64 bit. Now, I did not send a thermal pad and told him he would have to buy one. For now this is all I know. It was packed up very well and insured. What in the world could have possibly happened? Probably I will be forced to return his money and be stuck with a procesor that doesn't work (according to him anyway). This CPU doesn't OC well, do you think there is a chance he tried to OC and blew it? If it doesn't work and he sends it back, the only thing I can do is check for bent pins because I do not have a MOBO (socket 462) to test it on.
I want to do the right thing, but I don't want to be taken advantage of either.

your advice/theories?

XP 2800+ (thor B); Asus A7N8X Delux; Maxtor 40/120 gig ATA 133; AIW9700 RadeonPro; Corsair PC3200 (2X256); LiteOn CDRW; TDK 420N DVD+RW; Antec Case; Antec SL350; many many fans; WinXp

More about : theories cpu sold

March 5, 2004 2:40:46 PM

I'd ask the guy in what motherboard he is trying to install the CPU.

Could be he is not using a 166/333 Mhz capabable motherboard. Could be an old chipset. Could even be power issues.

Hopefully the guy is smart enough not to install the CPU without a heatsink.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/05/04 11:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 5, 2004 6:09:22 PM

Before he sends the cpu, ask him to use a digital camera and take pics of it...both sides, high quality and good resolution...2800+ tbreds are hard to come by so he would have to take a pic of YOUR cpu, my guess is he is just some dumb [-peep-]...but i wouldnt tell him if i were you.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy
Related resources
March 5, 2004 6:20:41 PM

Why not answer, but also ask him why he thinks it was DOA and to provide you with details on how he installed etc. Plus, like said above, details on system he's trying to install in.

He sounds like he's not too experienced and I sense doubt on his part. It may be OK, or it may be he screwed it up.

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE
March 5, 2004 6:42:25 PM

if its insured he should be able to get the money it was insured for. if its been too long its his own fault.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!
March 5, 2004 7:08:35 PM

I insured it for $100, but how in the world would I prove that (or even suggest) that it was damaged in shipping as opposed to his error in handling the CPU?

XP 2800+ (thor B); Asus A7N8X Delux; Maxtor 40/120 gig ATA 133; AIW9700 RadeonPro; Corsair PC3200 (2X256); LiteOn CDRW; TDK 420N DVD+RW; Antec Case; Antec SL350; many many fans; WinXp
March 5, 2004 7:12:43 PM

beats me, ive never had to claim somthing like that.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!
March 5, 2004 8:15:21 PM

at the very least he will have to send it back to me BEFORE he gets any money back and I will inspect it. I fear that if he burned it my eyes will not be good enough to spot it as I have never seen one before.

Also, I called a computer store and they told me something I had never heard of before (and I don't know it I believe it) but putting in a bad CPU in a MOBO, if I wanted to test it on its return, can damage a MOBO. REALLY?!!!

March 5, 2004 10:21:41 PM

im saying this so he doesnt try to cheat you in some way, so you are sure that the cpu he is sending you is in good phyiscal condition...

Its possible but not probable...

110% BX fanboy
March 5, 2004 10:30:14 PM

i am saying that when I sent it to him (the winning bidder) it was perfect. What he now holds in his hand I have no idea what condition it's in. It could be that it's fine and he's just a moron because his, for example, PSU is too weak. I don't know yet. more to come. His emialing has been rather slow.

March 6, 2004 12:08:47 AM

Yes, if the chip is shorted internally, it will take out the vregs on the board. Somewhere on there site, Amd has a simple resistance test that will say if it's safe to plug the chip in.
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2004 12:35:44 AM

There are several reasons he might be saying this, most involve dishonesty:
1.) He might have cracked it installing a sink
2.) He might have burned it
3.) He might have put it in the wrong board, realized his mistake, and now wants you to accept that and swallow the cost of the transaction (listing fees, etc).
4.) He might have burned out his own 2800+ by overclocking, and bought a replacement with intent to swap them and send the burned one to the original seller.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
March 6, 2004 12:47:59 AM

conspiracy ridden . . . I like it! :) 

March 6, 2004 1:23:00 AM

But we are not talking xp2800+ barton. This is a very rare chip. I doubt that he had one before. On the other hand, if he killed it, a lynching party may be needed.
March 6, 2004 1:34:06 AM

i have it.

March 6, 2004 1:34:38 AM

yes, i am kicking myself for selling it!

a c 100 à CPUs
March 6, 2004 2:47:15 AM

Well make sure he's aware that you have the SN, and if you get into a position that it gets sent back to you, make sure the SN matches the CPU you sent him, sometimes a switcheroo is possible, but hopefully he's a standup guy and wouldn't do anything like that.

<A HREF="http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?language=engl..." target="_new"><b><><</b></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=25..." target="_new">My Rig</A>
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2004 3:37:07 AM

Yes, well, I "knew this guy" who used to buy broken electronics from yard sales for next to nothing, then buy the same thing from the store, put the old (identicle) item in the new box, take it to the store and say "it quit working" thereby getting the new item at the price of the broken junk.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
March 6, 2004 9:00:14 AM

I wanted to that as a kid...

My mom would not let me...

A long long time ago, but I can still remember, how that music used to make me smile... <A HREF="http://www.nexus.hu/zonix/DIGGER.MID" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>Digger rulz</font color=blue></b></A>
March 7, 2004 4:16:16 AM

Here is his email to me:

Hey there again.

I personally and professionally installed this processor into my barely
4 month old abit at7-max. Upon insertion of the said 2800+, I discovered
that my rock solid motherboard is no longer a functioning motherboard.
After swapping every component in my custom system with spares,
including my original 2600+ that has functioned 24/7 for about 4 months
and NEVER had a problem also does not make my system post. Being a
repair technician, I can say this item is the cause of the problem,
considering every possible solution had been attempted only to get the
same results. An abit at7-max with the most current bios flash such as
mine fully supports a 2800+ but there is the possibility that this board
had a fluke that wasn't compatible with the processor and as a result
failed. I currently need to send my motherboard to abit for a
replacement at my expense which I am not pleased with at all but is
unavoidable since I am not willing to throw a $150 item in the trash.
But before I get to that I will be purchasing components for my new
system which includes an abit at7-max2. If I find this 2800+ to be
non-functioning again (ie: if it kills another board of mine) it will
need to be sent back to amd I expect at your expense. However, if it
works fine in the new motherboard, then I will proceed to test it with a
week long burn-in and once completed, I will inform you that it
functions excellent and our business will be concluded. I understand
problems can arise and have no intention of getting a refund, only if
required the 2800+ replaced.

Thank you.

------------------------------------------
my response:

I appreciate your efforts to resolve this on your own, 1) I wish to address what you have written and 2) I wish to appraise you of my position on this:

you may want to start off with by visiting this web page:

http://www2.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/test_report/AT7/...

As you can see, the XP 2800+ was never tested with this board. That may not be an issue, since I once purchased a Barton XP 2800+ that did not run with an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev. 1.4. It would only run at 333 Mhz FSB instead of 400 FSB.

--------------------------------
"Upon insertion of the said 2800+, I discovered
that my rock solid motherboard is no longer a functioning motherboard."
---------------------------------

I asked for details of this installation of which you have yet to give me. You have not, for example, told me if you used the thermal pad my ebay add tells you to use (AMD's recommended thermal pad). Should it come to this, I shall require proof that you did this.

------------------------------------------------------
"Being a repair technician, I can say this item is the cause of the problem,
considering every possible solution had been attempted only to get the
same results."
------------------------------------------------------

I am a computer builder, and I am aware of many potential problems. But you never gave me the specs like your PSU. But that aside, if this processor is now dead and damaged your MOBO, you can expect that it WON'T work in another MOBO.

-------------------------------------------------------
"An abit at7-max with the most current bios flash such as
mine fully supports a 2800+ but there is the possibility that this board
had a fluke that wasn't compatible with the processor and as a result
failed."
--------------------------------------------------------

again, visit the site I recommended. I could not find a "max," but only a regular AT7. As you can see, Abit says this board has not been tested with this CPU. See here:

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios_revision.php?c...

None of those BIOS revisions speak to the XP2800+. Even I would have assumed that it might work as it states working with "0.13micron" but it only gets to the 2600+.

------------------------------------------------
"I currently need to send my motherboard to abit for a
replacement at my expense which I am not pleased with at all but is
unavoidable since I am not willing to throw a $150 item in the trash."

I am truly sorry about this. Here http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti... you can get it for $40.

"If I find this 2800+ to be
non-functioning again (ie: if it kills another board of mine) it will
need to be sent back to amd I expect at your expense."

I am sorry, but this is not acceptable. I will not conver any expense on this CPU. Anyway, the T-bred CPU doesn't exist anymore and the Barton version is the only 2800+ out there.

"However, if it works fine in the new motherboard, then I will proceed to test it with a
week long burn-in and once completed, I will inform you that it
functions excellent and our business will be concluded."
----------------------------------------------------

Week long? Yo have till the 11th of this month per my Ebay add to figure this out. After the 11th, sadly our business is concluded.

-----------------------------------------------------
"I understand problems can arise and have no intention of getting a refund, only if
required the 2800+ replaced."
----------------------------------------------------

I don't understand this part of the email. This T-bred CANNOT be replaced as it doesn't exist anymore. I would say that if you get anything that doesn't work you should expect a refund, but on the other hand I know that what I sent you was working. What do I have to gain by sending you a broken item? Have you seen my feedback? It's perfect. But selling this item is a risk to me. It's a risk because I failed to take into account that their might be a problem with the installation by a winning bidder of a working CPU which may cause it to fail. That was my mistake. I would not offer a 10-day garuntee on a broken item. That's absurd! Here's my best advice: send me back the CPU. If I can confirm that it works and find no evidence that it was fried, then I will give you your money back. If you should send it to me and it is broken, then sadly I cannot give you your money back and the CPU will be sent back to you. But luckily physical evidence of incorrect installation normally exists and since I have photos of it prior to sending it to you (and my memory) then I will have a good idea of what has changed on the CPU. I am not a retail company, but even a retail company of computer components is not going to accept an item if it has been busted. FYI, for me to figure out if this CPU works, should you send it back, will cost me money too.

I hope that this isn't too bad of a response for you, but you are free to leave me negative feedback. I am saddened that I let this CPU get away from me, but even sadder that for some reason it no longer works.

Sincerely,

March 7, 2004 6:29:49 AM

you nailed him bud...

the at7 only supports a max of 266mhz fsb, he used the cpu in the wrong mobo, although this will not kill the cpu or mobo, i suspect he is trying to use you here.

110% BX fanboy
March 7, 2004 10:14:04 AM

oh yeah! you raped him buddy!

I am a small fat ginger kid and I lob cow pats at old people, please be my friend
March 7, 2004 1:05:04 PM

these are two BIOS revisions for that board:

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios_revision.php?c...

Support new 0.13micron process AthlonXP CPU-Throughbred.
HPT 374 BIOS Version 1.21.
BIOS Compile Date: 6/05/2002

and then later:

Support Athlon XP 2400+, 2600+ CPU. Please be noted that Athlon XP 2400+ and 2600+ CPU need AMD certified heatsink; otherwise, the system will be quite unstable or even fail to boot up. Please check AMD recommended CPU cooler in following URL.
http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/ComputingSolutions/
HPT 374 BIOS Version 1.21.
BIOS Compile Date: 8/22/2002

---------------------------------

the XP 2600 ran at 333 mhz like the T-bred XP2800. But like that whole Asus A7N8X board rev. 1.4 - 2.0 crap where a BIOS flash was supposed to "support" the news Barton 400 FSB, it never worked on my Asus rev. 1.4 using a Barton 3200+. Even so, his board was not tested with my CPU, and even so again there are no garuntees with BIOS updates. Some boards just were not meant for it. MOBO makers know this but also bank on the likelyhood that they will not upgrade the processor before they just buy a new MOBO altogether.

now my question becomes, can putting my CPU in his MOBO damage the CPU I sold him? As I noted that that board probably has no thermal diode ("AMD won't be requiring thermal protection for Athlon CPUs until June 10" [2002], and his board came out in April 2002).

March 7, 2004 3:41:52 PM

no

there is a version of the 2600 that runs 266mhz fsb, with this chipset it is the fastest cpu that this board can run. Tell him this and its settled he screwed up not you.

110% BX fanboy
March 7, 2004 4:15:53 PM

i see.

March 10, 2004 5:18:06 AM

his latest email to me:

i apreciate your evaluating me of your opinion on the matter. however sir your
obviously mistaken. the thoroughbred b core is no longer manufactured but if you
have a 3 year RETAIL warranty as per the auction claim than it will in fact not
be a problem. this 2800+ is of the barton series so it will be garanteed no
problems with a manufacturer exchange whatsoever. if you would be so kind as to
send me a copy of the reciept i can than on my own behalf when necessary contact
amd. if this is not suitable than tomorrow afternoon the 2800+ will be en route
back to you via cod.

thank you.

---------------------------------------------------

my response:

No. You have put that CPU with a FSB of 333 mhz into a MOBO designed to take a max of 266 mhz FSB. In all likelyhood you damaged the MOBO and CPU. Also, your MOBO is NOT compatible with the Barton core. You realize that Bartons run at 333 mhz FSB (except for the last 2 which run at 400 mhz). I can help you no more at this point. The CPU is yours blown or not. I hope that it is not blown so that it will work in another socket A (462) MOBO you may get in the future. I have no paper work to give you at this point. I considered taking back from you the CPU if it was in working condition, but I have decided the cost and hassle is too great. I will give you one more URL in case you STILL don't believe me about your board:

http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/generic/checkcpu.htm

Look at the very first board (AT7) there. It say max 266 mhz FSB. I hope that that CPU works. Perhaps only your MOBO was damaged. If the CPU is broken, it is because YOU broke it, not because it broke on its own. But do NOT send it back to me as I will refuse it. This concludes our business together.
Have a good night.

Sincerely,

p.s. this 2800+ is NOT the Barton core. Why do you keep saying that? It is a T-bred core.

March 10, 2004 6:22:40 AM

Has he replyed to that? Man this is like a soap opera.

[Insert witty comment here]
March 10, 2004 6:26:07 AM

I doubt he would have killed his cpu and mb by plugging in an incompatible cpu. The MB determines the fsb, not the cpu, so if his mb could not run @333 MHz, it would just run at 266Mhz, which should hurt neither the cpu nor the MB. It may or may not boot if doesnt recognize the core, but I don't really see how it would kill either unless the MB fed it some insane voltage, and even then.

I've not read the entire thread, but I suspect the cpu is still fine, and will work without a hitch using a correct motherboard. But you are of course right that you are not to blame for his stupidity or ignorance.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
March 11, 2004 12:14:21 AM

T-bred A- 266mhz FSB
T-bred B- 333mhz FSB
266mhz board only supports T-bred As not Bs of course it wouldn't work. This guy is a retard. I say tell him to get a life~~~

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D 
March 11, 2004 12:23:18 AM

Athlon 2600+ 2.13ghz 266mhz fsb processor is a T-Bred B as are the 2400+ and many other processors. Your table is incorrect. It has to do with is the revision process.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
March 11, 2004 3:12:14 AM

oops..... i was thinking about steppings......sorry about that...

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D 
March 11, 2004 3:39:39 AM

but the point is is it's not 333 mhz FSB.

March 12, 2004 1:59:07 PM

he has filed a complaint with PayPal and this is what he wrote:

Mordantly
Item recieved was not as described.. a different model of processor and
therefore caused my motherboard to fail and the item itself. Seller denied
me a refund, or a sales reciept as per the auction claim of a 3 year
warranty so I would be able to get a manufacturer exchange. I can't get an
exchange without said reciept, therefore a refund is the only option.
Seller attempted to lie by stating he doesn't "have a sales reciept to
offer," and that this processor "is mine [directed towards purchaser]." I
merely wanted to exchange the item but due to his decision to not fullfill
his agreement I have no choice but to seek your assistance in this matter.

March 12, 2004 5:29:15 PM

hey let him know you know a place where he can get help and point him to this baord lol, we cshould be able to knock some sense into him lol. that claim is ludicris, you have all the proof in front fo you. oyu have your listing, his info on the motherbaord, just throw in some links making your case and its sealed. personally, id give this guy negative feedback. either he is a moron or just an ass trying to get you to pay for his mistakes.
March 12, 2004 8:51:29 PM

Must....have....latest.....ebay CPU story fix......

What's going on?
*grabs popcorn, and finds best seat on the couch*

<font color=blue> "A man is not finished when he is defeated, he is finished when he quits" - President R.M. Nixon </font color=blue>
March 12, 2004 11:18:07 PM

Quote:
I don't really see how it would kill either unless the MB fed it some insane voltage, and even then.

That is even unlikely as to my knowledge amds VID standards have been the same since the k7 was first introduced. If he set the fsb to 266mhz via the onboard jumper and ran a higher multi he could get the cpu to run the right speed just with a lower fsb. If he wants tips on that tell him to post in this board, where he will be flamed and get none of my help.

110% BX fanboy
March 13, 2004 1:40:55 AM

amd tech support has said that chances of CPU hurting the MOBO because its FSB is 333 rather than 266 is next to NO chance.
IF the CPU is fried, it is because he failed to use the thermal pad OR grease.

March 13, 2004 4:36:04 AM

you're gonna love this even more. As it turns out, the guy thought he was buying a Barton! read the add. While I talk about the Barton, it is clear that I am selling the t-bred!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3462...

-------------------------------------------
now read his response to me (below) where I offered to give him half of what he paid to take back the damaged CPU. I wish to add at this point that I made mention to there being a 3 year warranty in the ebay add. I was wrong. It was an OEM that I bought from Newegg.com and I only bought the 1 year extended warranty. So I AM at fault for this. It is why I am willing to take the CPU back. It was an honest mistake, BUT that does not excuse him from screwing up the CPU?? The words "1 year warranty" or "3 year warranty" doesn't excuse him from the responsibility of buying the correct parts for his system AND installing them correctly. I feel like crap that I missed that. I guess I was confusing that CPU with the 2 I have since purchased full retail (w/ 3 year warranties). In fact, I don't think the XP 2800+ T-bred was ever a retail. I screwed up here. But does that mean I have to take back a damaged CPU and give him all his money back?? Here's his response (he is not yet aware of my messing up the warranty info because I figured since he was so confused over which CPU he bought it would just fuel his madness more). You see him mentioning "getting the paperwork for the CPU," but (now that you know of my error) note that in my add I mention "if I CAN [help w/ the warranty]." Also if he expected paperwork when getting the CPU in the first place, why not ask for it on receiving it and then I could say "I made an error, so send it back for a full refund" BEFORE he had a chance to damage the CPU? Also, the AMD warranty is non-transferable, and though it may seem misleading in my add almost EVERYTHING on Ebay that claims to be warrantied is in fact not covered by a given company as these sellers are not authorized dealers (w/ few exceptions). So though I may mention that something is warrantied, that does not mean that it is available to a bidder. I know . . . it's misleading of me. But it honestly was a mistake that I would never have got into intentionally.

---------------------------------------------------------
Let me apprise you of the situation.

"I can help you no more at this point. The CPU is yours blown or not."

I requested warranty information as per YOUR auction listing to possess.

"I have no paper work to give you at this point. I considered taking
back from you the CPU if it was in working condition, but I have decided
the cost and hassle is too great."

Why is it that you have lied to me? I take situations like this VERY
seriously as you will notice EBay and PayPal have been involved based on
your actions towards myself. I will ONLY accept a refund of $100 US
currency provided you pay the return shipping OR that you send me the
ORIGINAL proof of the purchase that will allow me to directly contact
AMD and invoke this alleged warranty on my own behalf. If one of the
above solutions is acceptable to you than and only than will I drop my
claims. Otherwise I will continue to pursue to the maximum extent both
of my complaints and or other legal action that will be taken against
you. Why would you think I will give you FREE money when YOU are at
fault? After verification of the model/serial numbers this is in fact
the sole 166 mhz t-bred b model manufactured by amd to date and is not a
barton xp. This was NOT stated in the auction and as a "system builder,"
you should be aware of that fact considering you personally used the
said processor. One would expect a peculiarity such as this to be
mentioned. It is quite obvious my motherboard was blown as a direct
result of your negligence, and this event was NOT averted as it would
absolutely have been. But I at no point did nor will I demand
compensation of the motherboard. I am an honest person and I expected
the same from you, but it appears you are not an honest nor respectable
individual. Unless you would like to "solve" the situation as stated, DO
NOT CONTACT ME AGAIN AS I HAVE NO FURTHER COMMENT FOR YOU DO TO MY
PENDING COMPLAINTS.

Thank You.

March 13, 2004 5:10:00 AM

Haye to say it, but you did warranty it for 3 years.
March 13, 2004 7:34:56 PM

I did say "if I can help." But any warranty, even "my warranty" that you are bottom lining, doesn't cover incorrect installation. do you agree?

When his emails to me showed he knew nothing of hardware, then I decided that "I can't" help him with this warranty. Besides, any help I was to give was contigent upon him giving me answers to my questions, but he was always evasive and hostile. So though it is 3 years listed in the add, though incorrect, that covers if the processor fails. If not, then people could just buy things and smash them up against a wall.

March 13, 2004 10:50:01 PM

The joys of ebay. Yeah, he made some errors for sure, and maybe even cracked the die. But then again you did guarantee it will work or his money back. Not to mention the 3 year warranty. Tough call for sure. You should not have to give him his money back, but it is what i would do. I just value my feedback and business dealings. But again, that doesn't mean YOU should do the same as you know the situation much better and he was clearly in the wrong in his beliefs.

One other note, is by stating the 3 year warranty, you really did lie (although unintentionally) about it. The retail boxed AMD's are the only ones that have the 3 year warrantee, and that warranty specifically mentions that you must use the supplied retail fan, which by the way has a serial # on it. Even if it was a true retail processor, without the retail fan, showing serial number and the use of the included thermal tape, the warranty is void. By telling him you used that other fan, you admitted right there that you voided the Warranty. He might not know that, but the proof is in your writing. :frown: Yes it's a rediculous technicality, but that is the way it is legally written. So using arctic silver, or an non-retail fan voids the warranty. I have never had one go bad. But if i did and sent back an unused cpu fan, I would suspect that they would void the warranty. I am not sure however how picky they are and how much they check that you used that cpu with that heatsink. Maybe your State has a law that prevents them from doing that. But since you had an oem anyway, no need looking into it as there is no warranty period now.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
March 13, 2004 11:27:17 PM

I garunteed it would work . . . . not that he could break it and get his money back.

i offered half of what he paid and the cpu back no questions asked. he refused.

i said if the processor had none of these problems http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/Downloadab...
then he could return it for a full refund no questions asked.

BUT HE WON'T ASNWER HIS EMAILS OR TELL ME ABOUT HOW THE CPU LOOKS!!!

And also, you value your feedback and would refund his money, but he has already given me a NASTY negative feedback.

March 14, 2004 1:06:07 AM

by putting a new amd cpu into a motherboard that doesnt officially support the cpu will technically void the warantee on the processor, it would probably fall under incorrect installation or something like that. Since this guy admited to using the cpu in a mobo that doesnt oficially support it he got screwed and lost any chance that he could have of getting a refund.

110% BX fanboy
March 14, 2004 2:42:37 AM

BUT, I did not give details of the warranty. What I DID do however is put myself as an acting "middle man" with the warranty claims, and in so doing decided that based on his story I would NOT help him. So essentially he was purchasing a warranty through me. But like I said, there is nothing in my add that indicates it is non-transferrable (though that is standard) nor accounting for incorrect installation. In other words, my ommissions favor him rather than help me.

the thing is, it is so obvious that he is being evasive. How can you help someone when they won't answer your questions?? Instead he wants some paperwork (we now know none exists), but I made it clear I would help if I can . . . and if any paperwork was expected he should have asked on receiving the item, no???

March 14, 2004 4:22:33 AM

well this is just insane lol. although i will say, your listing did get a bit confusing, you talked about the barton cpu a bit too much lol. anyway, this is a very sitcky situation. oyu may end up having to refund him the money unless you tell him that the warranty is voided anyway becuase he used it with the wrong motherboard, that is not your fault. he mentions it wasa 166fsb chip.... this sounds odd, since you knew it was 333, if oyu can prove taht, then you have him. what youll have to do is contact ebay and paypal and expalin your side of things, most of the time, these things lean towards protecting the buyer against fruadulent claims, and you certainly have several points to show he was at fualt. thats a thing i hate about ebay, you get ppl that mess up the thigns they buy and ask you to pay for thier mistake. hell ive bought ram and then noticed it wasnt the right type, but i didnt care, just delt with it.
March 14, 2004 5:19:13 AM

Yeah, that is why I said you know the situation more on what dealing with him has been like. Honestly I think you are making the right decision no matter which way you chose to go as you have shown you were very willing to offer help. When someone posts neg feedback before an issue is solved, or before giving you a chance to solve it, they have basically moved beyond the refund stage. I would only refund money at that time if your conscience tells you so. If you feel your mistake warrants a refund despite his actions and behavior. Instead, I would prepare your evidence in case you are notified by paypal or ebay. Be prepared to very kindly put into words what he technically did wrong and the steps you took to solve the issue. His Barton arguement means nothing as you spelled out that it wasn't a Barton. maybe he is a noob and it confused him. Even so, your item description clarifies that fully.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
March 14, 2004 12:43:52 PM

he says he is a MSCE.

:) 

i guess he could be a noob. i'm leaning toward giving him back his money, but he was just so difficult! And he was wrong. It's gonna make him think that he was right. He has already contacted PayPal and complained officially. I responded. Wouldn't it be funny if they denied his claim?? Then he complained to EBAY (he says) but I haven't heard from them. It seems to me if his complaints are as convoluted as his emails to me, that PayPal would basically go through the motions but ultimately deny him. Remember his complaints/claims to me (private eamils & PayPal)went in this strange order:
1) CPU was D.O.A.
2) warranty paperwork non-existent
3) your add "said" it was a Barton*
4) I never said what the FSB was in the add

on #4, it is up to the buyer to ask questions. He never did. I could simply put in my add "CPU for sale" and leave it at that! But, I provided links to AMD on this CPU and THG's article on it and the XP 2700+! As for talking about the Barton a lot in my add, I did it so that 1) I MADE SURE that a bidder didn't think he was buying a Barton 2800+ 2) he knew that this T-bred was NOT OC'able like the Barton 2500+ and 3) that by nature of not being OC'able I never even tried to OC it.

*in a way this is funniest of all, because since I know his MOBO (and apparently PAYPAL doesn't as he wisely learned from our correspondence NOT to reveal that) can't run anything above a 2600+ T-bred, why would he think it could run a Barton if it can't even run my T-bred CPU @ 333 mhz FSB?!!! lol I think I caught him in his lie . . . . or delusion anyway. If he was buying the CPU for another board, that would be one thing, but as soon as he got it he put it in his MOBO Abit AT7 Max[1] and nothing worked. He spoke about getting the AT7 Max 2 (which would have worked) but he did not have it yet. Moron!

!