Tech: Early Stern, lost 43 VDC

I repaired a flipper and reversed the power wires to the lugs when I
reinstalled it. Something blew, unfortunately it wasn't a fuse. No 43
VDC on the power distribution board (TA-100). Did I fry BR3 or maybe
the Varistor? Any way to test these?

"ze3e7b" wrote;
> I repaired a flipper and reversed the power wires to the lugs when I
> reinstalled it. Something blew, unfortunately it wasn't a fuse. No 43
> VDC on the power distribution board (TA-100). Did I fry BR3 or maybe
> the Varistor? Any way to test these?

Check both sides of the rectifier for power- the AC side, and the DC side.
If power is present on the AC side, but not DC, then the rectifier's open-
probably just weak and the reversal of current was enough to knock it out
permanently- these are fairly common replacement parts in these old games.
I replace all 3 at the same time- if one's gone, the others aren't far
behind.

The way the varistor blows is to short itself out- you usually get a big
"bang" and it leaves a smoke trail and looks it literally blew up- black and
charred. If it's still intact, then it's probably fine. You can remove one
leg from the board and do a continuity test- should read as open. If any
resistance or dead short, then remove/replace it. The MOV is just there as
a surge protector- you can run the game without it.

We have replacements for the VJ248 rectifiers available- see our website at:
www.actionpinball.com These are modern heavy-duty units that will far
outlast the originals- especially in home use. You may get some responses
recommending replacing with large 25a units that are mounted from the front,
but I think that is overkill- and a pretty ugly mod too- the original style
are more than enough for these games.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Resolved the issue. Replaced the bridge but it still didn't get the
43 volts back. Check for continuity from the fuse clip to rectifier leg
and got nothing. Reflowed the solder at the clip and leg and everything
is good again. Thanks for the help.