can't execute .exe files without typing .exe

This just started happening. When I click START-RUN, I can no longer just
type in msconfig or cmd. I must type in msconfig.exe or cmd.exe. Even when I
get into the command prompt, I cannot just type in ping, i must type ping.exe
xxx.xx.xx.xx. Is there any way to fix this problem?

thanks

Wayne
1 answer Last reply
More about execute files typing

    Misty wrote:

    > This just started happening. When I click START-RUN, I can no longer
    > just type in msconfig or cmd. I must type in msconfig.exe or cmd.exe.
    > Even when I get into the command prompt, I cannot just type in ping, i
    > must type ping.exe xxx.xx.xx.xx. Is there any way to fix this problem?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Wayne

    Try Doug Knox's .exe association fix:

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

Command Prompt Msconfig Microsoft Windows XP