Need Help Finding A College Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

locknload_17

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
1_What is your budget?
$2000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15 inch

3_What screen resolution do you want?
a good resolution for CAD/autodesk but not too high that it'll be impossible to read text/kill my fps

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
little bit of both, i want it to be portable to classes, but also able to also be there in my dorm for work

5_How much battery life do you need?
it will be plugged in most of the time im sure, but maybe 2-3 hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
CS:S -High
TF2 - Medium

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Ill be doing a lot of coding, modeling, rendering on it for my major (mechanical engineering). So ill probably be using CAD, Inventor, etc...
-Word Processing
-Video Editing

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Not sure, I think 256gigs would be enough for an OS and all of my programs. Ill really want to upgrade through and get a SSD to make the performance feel extra snappy. If I were to do that, id probably settle for only 128gigs of memory to save money.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
nope

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
atleast 4 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
just normal dvd read/write

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Ive been drawn to Apple for the MBP's aesthetics/OS but i find myself rebounding now to sony/acer to reduce the cost. I want to avoid any brand thats too flashy (alienware).

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I just want the best laptop I can get without breaking the bank haha. Something that looks good but also has some power under the hood. Maybe a PC version of a macbook pro with good graphics/processing power/SSD.

Thank you so much to anyone who has suggestions. It just so hard to bite the bullet and buy a laptop when there are so many things to consider :/

Hmm... Imo, if you are running CAD (ie Inventor, Solidworks,etc) you a better off getting a i7 930 based desktop for $1200-1300 and spending the rest on i3/i5 based laptop. An i3/i5 laptop can handle CAD models as long as you are not doing anything massively complex (ie doing a 1x1x1 mm square pattern with 3 mm spacing in an area of 550x600mm. :lol: )

Status
Not open for further replies.