CaPtAiN_InSaNo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
I just rebuilt my computer (except video card) last sept. I am just now experimenting with OCing. I have a P4 2.6c, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, 512mb OCZ DDR533 dualch. I haven't been able to get the cpu anywhere past 3.1GHz. And it i just started experienceing lockups at that speed, so i lowered it to 3.0. Not that i'm complaining, but is it just luck on how high a CPU will oc??? My CAS latency are all on auto, and it runs at about 39 to 41 c on a full load (prime 95). Would the additional cooling power of a water cooler help me gain higher clock speeds???

OverKill is not defined by the power you use, but by the power you have to spare....
P4 2.6c@3.1, 512mb OCZDDR533, GF4Ti4400(will be replaced soon), Asus P4C800 Deluxe

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
the temps you are getting seem wrong...39-40 full load with stock cooler (per your above post) is too low. I would expect around 50c from that setup. What program are you getting your temps from? My guess is your stock HS is holding you back.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy

Ubiquity

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
bad temps eh?

I run my 2.6c at 2.9gig with kingston hyper x dual channel pc3500. i've never seen my temp from asus probe, pc wizard, or ai booster get more than the low 30 C. i get lock ups and errors on prime at at 230-235 ram/fsb, so that is just under 3 gig on my processor. all stock cooling with only one antec fan in the sonata case. i also run my voltages at 2.75 for vcore, and 2.85-2.75 volts for my ram. I always thought that i needed faster ram to get the processor higher and keep the 1/1 ratio, and that was the only thing holding me back. i am a virgin oc'er though.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
The P4C800 is a fair overclocker at best. I had trouble getting stability running my 2.8C over 3.1GHz. It didn't seem to matter what the VCore was and it didn't handle an increase in DDR voltage well. I was unable to run it at 1:1. I swapped the P4C800 with an MSI Neo-LSR and I'm able to run at 3.36 and 1:1 completely stable.

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
yep...everyone seems to get low temps with the p4c800, the poster, you, i know crashman did... having delt with a 2.6c on stock cooling running on a 4pca3+ (epox) and many other sources around the net low 30's on stock cooling overclocked is just crazy.

Plus i dont know how valid the info your providing is, 2.75 vcore? even 1.75 would be ludicris on stock cooling.

110% BX fanboy

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
what is your ram brand and model? is the msi the best for 2.6c?

Kingston HyperX PC4000.

I'm not saying the MSI is the best. I can only tell you my experieces with these two boards.

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Black_Cat on 03/06/04 09:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Ubiquity

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
my bad, I meant 1.75. I have pushed 1.74 and 1.78 with those same temps. I'll hit the low 30's VERY seldom on my processor, but it's not uncommon for my mobo to hit 35 or even 40. *shrugs* with no oc, right now I get 24C processor and 26C mobo with asus probe and ai booster. they could no doubt be wrong I guess though.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
first off...you are crazy....second you need to use a little common sense...

1.75 volts and 24c idle overclocked. Lets say your ambient temp is 20c. That yeilds a delta T of only 4c, so on stock cooling your p4 which is probably now putting out around 90w of heat but is running cooler than pIIs, piiis etc did on aftermarket cooling. It totally makes 0 sense. Download MBM5 check your temps there, make sure anal probe is off when you are running mbm.

Next you are crazy for putting 1.75 through a northwood...unless you are running a Vapo...which you are not you are in extremely high risk of killing your chip (even then it would be considered risky). Google northwood sudden death syndrome (who the [-peep-] made up that name anyhow too damn long).

110% BX fanboy

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
ok dont beleive me. If anyone else thinks those temps are wrong for a p4 on stock cooling running 1.75 vcore a post would be welcome to back me up. BTW scott (writer of guide) has killed 2 or 3 p4c's in about 4 months. Also this guide is intended for people with an aftermarket cooling solution. But of course what do i know, i only know about piii's so ill be on my way then.

110% BX fanboy

endyen

Splendid
Watts=heat. Your processor is putting out as much heat as an 80 watt lightbulb. Can you think of anything that would keep an 80 watt lightbulb at room temperature?
The "thermometer" for your chip is a field wired device. It uses a software interface. It has never been calabrated. The likelyhood of it reading incorrectly is close to 99.9%. In the case of an asus board, even less, as they are designed to make you feel safe.
To a person like me, when you say that your chip is cooler than ambient, it's like saying that the element is cooler than the oven. It just aint so. Even with a water cooling system, the water is at best as cool as ambient, so it cant cool the chip that low.
Just a very basic leason in physics.

Ubiquity

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
didn't say I don't believe you or anyone is wrong on here. I just said don't be an ass because of your remarks earlier.

I do believe you guys, and it does make sense. Those temps aren't when oc'd(voltage is set to auto=1.55 or 1.6), but like you said it's wacked out anyways. I wonder if it's a malfunction in my mobo or even the processor? I do appreciate the feedback I am getting though, thank you. =)

I guess an external sensor would be the only real solution???

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ubiquity on 03/07/04 03:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
nothing is broken, the thermal sensors that are being used in cpus and mobos are cheepo 20 cent components plus every sensor is slightly diffrent and since they are not calabrated each one will get slightly diffrent to very diffrent readings. I also have a feeling asus wanting to make their mobos look somehow better fudges the readings a little bit to make the temps seem lower (asus likes to do things like this to make them look like they have an edge, they purposly overvolt and slightly overclock cpus at supposidly default speeds to make them look faster and more stable).

If you really feel a need to get semiacurate temps, get an external temperature sensor assembly, and put a thermal probe touching one of the sides of the heat spreader.

110% BX fanboy

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
i'm gonna say you meant 1.75vcore, but that on an intel system running at 30c, and stock cooling. There's something not right there. If it's locking up then it's most likely heat.
The probe/sensors under the cpu must be jacked up. 30c is impossible with a 1.75vcore on stock cooling. Unless of course you have your computer outside in the real freezing cold winter.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1752623717" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1752623717</A>
45.5k mark? 85 dollars went a long way. So did that extra 15 dollars for cooling my video card.

endyen

Splendid
The best temp test is stability. So long as it can run prime95 without failing, it's cool enough. Just as all sensors dont read the same, all chips do not deal with heat the same. Rather than spending money on some high fangled thermostat, buy a better hsf. That way you can keep your chip cooler, and maybe even be able to get more speed.