Using an LED/PLASMA TV as monitor

PopeParty

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Hello all I am wondering what kind of information you can give on the quality of picture you get when using a LED/PLASMA tv as your monitor.

LED HDTV is simply a LCD HDTV with LED backlight.

Assuming the HDTV looks good for movies and TV, then it should also look fine as a monitor. Text on a HDTV will not look as sharp as text on a LCD monitor because the pixels are arranged more for shapes than text. You will need to play around with the sharpness to find something that's good for you.

I have no experience with plasma.

I haven't had a plasma display either, but since it's emissive (LCD is transmissive), it can offer much better static contrast ratio, and response time is a non-issue for plasma displays. However, they tend to be 42 inches or larger, which is impractical for most desk setups - you'll probably want to be able to situate it 3-5 feet away. Also, many of them are listed as 600Hz, but that's only internal - they still only take 60Hz signals, so they probably interpolate the extra frames, adding to the input lag.

A 600Hz Plasma TV pulses 10 times each Hz cycle (or frame); so 60Hz x 10 pulses per Hz = 600Hz. This is known as Sub Field Drive. Think of pulses as a form of refreshing or updating the pixels. The more pulses per second the less ghosting and image blur there should be.

It has nothing to do with video frame interpolation.

TRENDING THREADS