dvd burner

I bought a HP Pavilion a430n which has a built in DVD Burner this April.
I can burn CDs with it using NERO Burning Rom 5.5.10.42 but it wont
recognize any blank DVD. I contacted HP Help Center two times about it:
The first time they couldn't help me, the second time they didn't even
reply. Can anyone help me please?
Thanks in advance
Joshua Moore

"Joshua Moore" <doppely@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> I bought a HP Pavilion a430n which has a built in DVD Burner this
April.
> I can burn CDs with it using NERO Burning Rom 5.5.10.42 but it wont
> recognize any blank DVD. I contacted HP Help Center two times about
it:
> The first time they couldn't help me, the second time they didn't
even
> reply. Can anyone help me please?
> Thanks in advance
> Joshua Moore

You need to have the version of Nero that can burn DVD's. I have the
same Nero http://www.ahead.de and it burns cd/cd-r/rw and not DVD's.

I believe HP uses Roxio which can burn dvd's.

And the no help or support from HP is quite common. The have the
approach of building junk and then letting the customer work out the
hardware defects. You could get lucky and when you call the 800 number
for service (Make sure its still in warranty) the person on the other
end may say it needs to be replaced and have you ship it back. In this
case I believe its a software issue. You need the software to run the
hardware.

Elector

Elector schrieb:

> "Joshua Moore" <doppely@yahoo.de> wrote in message
>
>>I bought a HP Pavilion a430n which has a built in DVD Burner this
>
> April.
>
>>I can burn CDs with it using NERO Burning Rom 5.5.10.42 but it wont
>>recognize any blank DVD. I contacted HP Help Center two times about
>
> it:
>
>>The first time they couldn't help me, the second time they didn't
>
> even
>
>>reply. Can anyone help me please?
>>Thanks in advance
>>Joshua Moore
>>

> You need to have the version of Nero that can burn DVD's. I have the
> same Nero http://www.ahead.de and it burns cd/cd-r/rw and not DVD's.
>
> I believe HP uses Roxio which can burn dvd's.
>
> And the no help or support from HP is quite common. The have the
> approach of building junk and then letting the customer work out the
> hardware defects. You could get lucky and when you call the 800 number
> for service (Make sure its still in warranty) the person on the other
> end may say it needs to be replaced and have you ship it back. In this
> case I believe its a software issue. You need the software to run the
> hardware.
>
> Elector

Shouldn't they be giving me the software then? The system recovery thing
didn't even work in the first place, do you know of a possibility to get
all the *included* software from them on a different way?
Joshua Moore

"Joshua Moore" <doppely@yahoo.de> wrote in message
<snip>
> Shouldn't they be giving me the software then? The system recovery
thing
> didn't even work in the first place, do you know of a possibility to
get
> all the *included* software from them on a different way?
> Joshua Moore

Call HP support if the machine is still in warranty. There may be a
small cost for the needed disks. However if you have the full system
restore disks you may then reinstall correctly via directions from HP
or the manual. Where other manufacturers make it simple to restore the
HP people like you to start with Disk 2 and select full restore (That
is what they told me the day I bought my laptop) it should take a long
time to do a full reformat and restore. Over an hour with my unit and
then it was done.

There should also be an option in the notebook utilities which under
Windows XP is called Software Install where you can install just the
software that is missing or corrupt.

Since your posting from the .de maybe it would be better to just buy
the newest Nero Burning Rom and then upgrade that way. Also make sure
that the HP unit is actually a DVD burner.

Elector

Elector schrieb:
> "Joshua Moore" <doppely@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> <snip>
>
>>Shouldn't they be giving me the software then? The system recovery
>
> thing
>
>>didn't even work in the first place, do you know of a possibility to
>
> get
>
>>all the *included* software from them on a different way?
>>Joshua Moore
>>

> Call HP support if the machine is still in warranty. There may be a
> small cost for the needed disks. However if you have the full system
> restore disks you may then reinstall correctly via directions from HP
> or the manual. Where other manufacturers make it simple to restore the
> HP people like you to start with Disk 2 and select full restore (That
> is what they told me the day I bought my laptop) it should take a long
> time to do a full reformat and restore. Over an hour with my unit and
> then it was done.
>
> There should also be an option in the notebook utilities which under
> Windows XP is called Software Install where you can install just the
> software that is missing or corrupt.
>
> Since your posting from the .de maybe it would be better to just buy
> the newest Nero Burning Rom and then upgrade that way. Also make sure
> that the HP unit is actually a DVD burner.
>
> Elector

How do I know that is really is a DVD burner? Windows says that that
device calls itself a DVD Burner, the product itself says so too. Does
that mean it relly is one or are people at HP very, very mean?

Joshua

"Joshua Moore" <doppely@yahoo.de> wrote in message
<snip>
> How do I know that is really is a DVD burner? Windows says that that
> device calls itself a DVD Burner, the product itself says so too. Does
> that mean it relly is one or are people at HP very, very mean?
>
> Joshua

Again that is a question for HP.

Elector

If you determine that the reputed DVD burner identifies itself in the
motherboard BIOS as an HP-branded device, ask HP, as Elector says. If the
device has another brand-name, check with the device manufacturer's web site for
detailed specs.

If the computer is still under warranty and whatever paperwork you got with the
computer claims you got a DVD burner, then HP has an obligation under warranty
to provide whatever it takes to make the device burn DVDs. What is the sense of
selling a DVD burner without the software to allow it to do what it is supposed
to do? If you were in the US, this might be a situation that calls for
attention from a state attorney general as a fraudulent sale. Lacking the
software for the device to do its job is not much different than selling a car
without a transmission, except that you could test drive the car first. In the
computer business, test drives are not part of the game, so one ends up often
buying a pig-in-a-poke... Ben Myers

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:05:14 +0200, Joshua Moore <doppely@yahoo.de> wrote:

>Elector schrieb:
>> "Joshua Moore" <doppely@yahoo.de> wrote in message
>> <snip>
>>
>>>Shouldn't they be giving me the software then? The system recovery
>>
>> thing
>>
>>>didn't even work in the first place, do you know of a possibility to
>>
>> get
>>
>>>all the *included* software from them on a different way?
>>>Joshua Moore
>>>

>> Call HP support if the machine is still in warranty. There may be a
>> small cost for the needed disks. However if you have the full system
>> restore disks you may then reinstall correctly via directions from HP
>> or the manual. Where other manufacturers make it simple to restore the
>> HP people like you to start with Disk 2 and select full restore (That
>> is what they told me the day I bought my laptop) it should take a long
>> time to do a full reformat and restore. Over an hour with my unit and
>> then it was done.
>>
>> There should also be an option in the notebook utilities which under
>> Windows XP is called Software Install where you can install just the
>> software that is missing or corrupt.
>>
>> Since your posting from the .de maybe it would be better to just buy
>> the newest Nero Burning Rom and then upgrade that way. Also make sure
>> that the HP unit is actually a DVD burner.
>>
>> Elector
>>

>How do I know that is really is a DVD burner? Windows says that that
>device calls itself a DVD Burner, the product itself says so too. Does
>that mean it relly is one or are people at HP very, very mean?
>
>Joshua

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

The system (a430n) should have a DVD+RW drive and RecordNow 6.5 software.

If those are both present, then Joshua got what he bought. If the drive is
defective, then the system is still under the one year warranty. If the
software isn't there, then it can be restored with a system recovery. Joshua
may need to get the CDs from HP if the recovery partition has been removed.

However, suggesting that one goes to court for not understanding what he has
or how to use it is going a little far.

craigm

> If you determine that the reputed DVD burner identifies itself in the
> motherboard BIOS as an HP-branded device, ask HP, as Elector says. If the
> device has another brand-name, check with the device manufacturer's web
site for
> detailed specs.
>
> If the computer is still under warranty and whatever paperwork you got
with the
> computer claims you got a DVD burner, then HP has an obligation under
warranty
> to provide whatever it takes to make the device burn DVDs. What is the
sense of
> selling a DVD burner without the software to allow it to do what it is
supposed
> to do? If you were in the US, this might be a situation that calls for
> attention from a state attorney general as a fraudulent sale. Lacking the
> software for the device to do its job is not much different than selling a
car
> without a transmission, except that you could test drive the car first.
In the
> computer business, test drives are not part of the game, so one ends up
often
> buying a pig-in-a-poke... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:05:14 +0200, Joshua Moore <doppely@yahoo.de> wrote:
>

> >Elector schrieb:
> >> "Joshua Moore" <doppely@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> >> <snip>

> >> thing

> >> get

> >> Call HP support if the machine is still in warranty. There may be a
> >> small cost for the needed disks. However if you have the full system
> >> restore disks you may then reinstall correctly via directions from HP
> >> or the manual. Where other manufacturers make it simple to restore the
> >> HP people like you to start with Disk 2 and select full restore (That
> >> is what they told me the day I bought my laptop) it should take a long
> >> time to do a full reformat and restore. Over an hour with my unit and
> >> then it was done.
> >>
> >> There should also be an option in the notebook utilities which under
> >> Windows XP is called Software Install where you can install just the
> >> software that is missing or corrupt.
> >>
> >> Since your posting from the .de maybe it would be better to just buy
> >> the newest Nero Burning Rom and then upgrade that way. Also make sure
> >> that the HP unit is actually a DVD burner.
> >>
> >> Elector
> >>

> >How do I know that is really is a DVD burner? Windows says that that
> >device calls itself a DVD Burner, the product itself says so too. Does
> >that mean it relly is one or are people at HP very, very mean?
> >
> >Joshua

Maybe so. I merely suggested contacting the state attorney general's office,
not going to court. Implicit in my response also was the concept of Joshua's
finding out more about what he has. Sorry, but flim-flam has reached new highs
in the computer biz, even among name brands with reputedly good reputations.

.... Ben Myers

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:31:51 -0500, "craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote:

>The system (a430n) should have a DVD+RW drive and RecordNow 6.5 software.
>
>If those are both present, then Joshua got what he bought. If the drive is
>defective, then the system is still under the one year warranty. If the
>software isn't there, then it can be restored with a system recovery. Joshua
>may need to get the CDs from HP if the recovery partition has been removed.
>
>However, suggesting that one goes to court for not understanding what he has
>or how to use it is going a little far.
>
>craigm

>> If you determine that the reputed DVD burner identifies itself in the
>> motherboard BIOS as an HP-branded device, ask HP, as Elector says. If the
>> device has another brand-name, check with the device manufacturer's web
>site for
>> detailed specs.
>>
>> If the computer is still under warranty and whatever paperwork you got
>with the
>> computer claims you got a DVD burner, then HP has an obligation under
>warranty
>> to provide whatever it takes to make the device burn DVDs. What is the
>sense of
>> selling a DVD burner without the software to allow it to do what it is
>supposed
>> to do? If you were in the US, this might be a situation that calls for
>> attention from a state attorney general as a fraudulent sale. Lacking the
>> software for the device to do its job is not much different than selling a
>car
>> without a transmission, except that you could test drive the car first.
>In the
>> computer business, test drives are not part of the game, so one ends up
>often
>> buying a pig-in-a-poke... Ben Myers

>> >How do I know that is really is a DVD burner? Windows says that that
>> >device calls itself a DVD Burner, the product itself says so too. Does
>> >that mean it relly is one or are people at HP very, very mean?
>> >
>> >Joshua

Thanks for your advice, I just finished typing a mail to HP. I hope I
will get an answer soon, here is what I wrote, mabye you could tell me
your opinion about it:

1. The system recovery, didn't work at all, so I would like to get the
cds with the software I had to pay for when I bought the HP Pavilion a430n.
2. The DVD drive has never been working, my Burning software doesn't
recognize it. In several forums and newsgroups I was told that it does
work with NERO 6.0 and the software preinstalled on the computer.
I never had the software installed on the computer and I don't think I
have to buy NERO Burning ROM 6.0 if I could have the same result if the
product I bought would be operating as it should. Please send me the
software originally installed on the PC on CDs via mail and give me a
driver for my DVD burner.
3. The first time I wrote you I was not given any halp, the secodn time
I didn't get any reply at all. Another thing I recognized is that when I
called the German Support Center the woman on the phone was not able to
give me any number of an american Support center. She said she wouldn't
be able to help me because I bought the PC at AFEES. Please reply soon
Joshua Moore

So tell me, what do you think about it.
Greetings, Joshua Moore

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in news:sBzDc.255452$hY.189488
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

> "Joshua Moore" <doppely@yahoo.de> wrote in message
>> I bought a HP Pavilion a430n which has a built in DVD Burner this
> April.
>> I can burn CDs with it using NERO Burning Rom 5.5.10.42 but it wont
>> recognize any blank DVD. I contacted HP Help Center two times about
> it:
>> The first time they couldn't help me, the second time they didn't
> even
>> reply. Can anyone help me please?
>> Thanks in advance
>> Joshua Moore
>>

> You need to have the version of Nero that can burn DVD's. I have the
> same Nero http://www.ahead.de and it burns cd/cd-r/rw and not DVD's.
>
> I believe HP uses Roxio which can burn dvd's.
>
> And the no help or support from HP is quite common. The have the
> approach of building junk and then letting the customer work out the
> hardware defects. You could get lucky and when you call the 800 number
> for service (Make sure its still in warranty) the person on the other
> end may say it needs to be replaced and have you ship it back. In this
> case I believe its a software issue. You need the software to run the
> hardware.
>
> Elector
>

> Since we're talking dvd burning programs, I'd like to throw in my two
cents and recommend 123 Copy DVD. It's a very good and easy program, and
so far it's been able to burn everything I've thrown at it. I like that
it allows me to choose which features to copy over.

-Carl

"Carl Fischer" <marauder_carl@yahfooey.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> Since we're talking dvd burning programs, I'd like to throw in my
two
> cents and recommend 123 Copy DVD. It's a very good and easy program,
and
> so far it's been able to burn everything I've thrown at it. I like
that
> it allows me to choose which features to copy over.
>
> -Carl

Never heard of it? Who makes it? Where do you get it? How much does it
cost?

Elector

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in news:TawEc.180299$j24.179832
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

> Subject: Re: dvd burner
> From: "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp.hardware
>

> "Carl Fischer" <marauder_carl@yahfooey.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > Since we're talking dvd burning programs, I'd like to throw in my
> two
>> cents and recommend 123 Copy DVD. It's a very good and easy program,
> and
>> so far it's been able to burn everything I've thrown at it. I like
> that
>> it allows me to choose which features to copy over.
>>
>> -Carl
>>

> Never heard of it? Who makes it? Where do you get it? How much does it
> cost?
>
> Elector

It's $30, I got it on Download.com. There's a free trial, but I don't
think it can break encryption. If you get the full version, download the
free third-party plug-in from the company's site. That's the encryption
breaking component. It's hosted offshore to evade legal problems. I
believe company name is same as software name, but I'm not sure.

-Carl

"Carl Fischer" <marauder_carl@yahfooey.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> It's $30, I got it on Download.com. There's a free trial, but I
don't
> think it can break encryption. If you get the full version, download
the
> free third-party plug-in from the company's site. That's the
encryption
> breaking component. It's hosted offshore to evade legal problems. I
> believe company name is same as software name, but I'm not sure.
>
> -Carl

Thank You Carl I will look at it.

Elector