This is windows XP pro build 2006 - SP1

From: "Ynot" <a_ursoNOSPAM@hotmail.com>

| I can't get a system to restart in DOS mode. I tried using MSconfig and
| setting "nogui" I tried interrupting a restart with F8 and going to
| safe/DOS prompt, even if I do a CHKDSK /F when the system restarts it will
| not do the DOS checkdsk function. Rather than going to DOS it does another
| restart during boot and goes to GUI mode.
|
| Any ideas or help is appreciated!
|
| This is windows XP pro build 2006 - SP1

There is no DOS in WinXP therefore you can't "...restart in DOS mode."

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

ynot

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

To be 100% technically correct I want to start in "safe mode with command
prompt"

I don't want a GUI interface, I want to be able to run CHKDSK with the "/F"
Parameter!

Now any help??

> From: "Ynot" <a_ursoNOSPAM@hotmail.com>
>
> | I can't get a system to restart in DOS mode. I tried using MSconfig and
> | setting "nogui" I tried interrupting a restart with F8 and going to
> | safe/DOS prompt, even if I do a CHKDSK /F when the system restarts it
> will
> | not do the DOS checkdsk function. Rather than going to DOS it does
> another
> | restart during boot and goes to GUI mode.
> |
> | Any ideas or help is appreciated!
> |
> | This is windows XP pro build 2006 - SP1
> |

> There is no DOS in WinXP therefore you can't "...restart in DOS mode."
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

when you say you interrupt the restart with F8, keep trying, sometimes
timing is everything. As soon as the screen goes black, tap that F8 key
repeatedly (rapidly)

"Ynot" <a_ursoNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> To be 100% technically correct I want to start in "safe mode with command
> prompt"
>

> I don't want a GUI interface, I want to be able to run CHKDSK with the
> "/F" Parameter!
>

> Now any help??

>> From: "Ynot" <a_ursoNOSPAM@hotmail.com>
>>
>> | I can't get a system to restart in DOS mode. I tried using MSconfig
>> and
>> | setting "nogui" I tried interrupting a restart with F8 and going to
>> | safe/DOS prompt, even if I do a CHKDSK /F when the system restarts it
>> will
>> | not do the DOS checkdsk function. Rather than going to DOS it does
>> another
>> | restart during boot and goes to GUI mode.
>> |
>> | Any ideas or help is appreciated!
>> |
>> | This is windows XP pro build 2006 - SP1
>> |

>> There is no DOS in WinXP therefore you can't "...restart in DOS mode."
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

You can install the Recovery Console and then every restart
will offer the boot option of either the Windows with GUI or
just the command-line interface.
see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

some support

"Ynot" <a_ursoNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| To be 100% technically correct I want to start in "safe
mode with command
| prompt"
|

| I don't want a GUI interface, I want to be able to run
CHKDSK with the "/F"
| Parameter!
|

| Now any help??
|
| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
message
| > From: "Ynot" <a_ursoNOSPAM@hotmail.com>
| >
| > | I can't get a system to restart in DOS mode. I tried
using MSconfig and
| > | setting "nogui" I tried interrupting a restart with
F8 and going to
| > | safe/DOS prompt, even if I do a CHKDSK /F when the
system restarts it
| > will
| > | not do the DOS checkdsk function. Rather than going
to DOS it does
| > another
| > | restart during boot and goes to GUI mode.
| > |
| > | Any ideas or help is appreciated!
| > |
| > | This is windows XP pro build 2006 - SP1
| > |

| > There is no DOS in WinXP therefore you can't "...restart
in DOS mode."

| > --
| > Dave
| > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
| > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

When you boot, start tapping the F8 key to get to the safe mode menu.
About 1 time per second.

"Ynot" <a_ursoNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> To be 100% technically correct I want to start in "safe mode with command
> prompt"
<Snip>

Someone

You might try tapping F5, which will give you a menu of options.

In news:%23aHFzHKuFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Ynot <a_ursoNOSPAM@hotmail.com> replied with a ;-)
> To be 100% technically correct I want to start in "safe mode with
> command prompt"
>

> I don't want a GUI interface, I want to be able to run CHKDSK with
> the "/F" Parameter!
>

> Now any help??

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Access Safe Mode
#12 on the FAQ list.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

ynot

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

Thanks, but I tried that, and I tried F8 while booting. I also tried
issuing a chkdsk /F which causes the message that the next reboot will do
the chkdsk. In all cases once the reboot starts, it automatically causes a
second reboot which goes to the GUI mode. I never get to a command prompt
and can't run a chkdsk /F

Any other ideas??? Or ideas on what would cause this?

PS... I have scanned with Norton anti-virus with up-to-date signatures.

"Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
> In news:%23aHFzHKuFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Ynot <a_ursoNOSPAM@hotmail.com> replied with a ;-)
>> To be 100% technically correct I want to start in "safe mode with
>> command prompt"
>>

>> I don't want a GUI interface, I want to be able to run CHKDSK with
>> the "/F" Parameter!
>>

>> Now any help??
>
> Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
> if using the web based newsgroup.
> Access Safe Mode
> #12 on the FAQ list.
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html
> --
> Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
> xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
> For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

I say again, install the Recovery Console.
see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654
How to install and use...
This will create dual boot system so you can boot GUI XP or
command prompt only XP.

some support

| Thanks, but I tried that, and I tried F8 while booting. I
also tried
| issuing a chkdsk /F which causes the message that the next
reboot will do
| the chkdsk. In all cases once the reboot starts, it
automatically causes a
| second reboot which goes to the GUI mode. I never get to
a command prompt
| and can't run a chkdsk /F
|

| Any other ideas??? Or ideas on what would cause this?
|

| PS... I have scanned with Norton anti-virus with
up-to-date signatures.

| "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in
message
| > In news:%23aHFzHKuFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
| > Ynot <a_ursoNOSPAM@hotmail.com> replied with a ;-)
| >> To be 100% technically correct I want to start in "safe
mode with
| >> command prompt"
| >>

| >> I don't want a GUI interface, I want to be able to run
CHKDSK with
| >> the "/F" Parameter!
| >>

| >> Now any help??
| >
| > Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into
the address box
| > if using the web based newsgroup.
| > Access Safe Mode
| > #12 on the FAQ list.
| > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html
| > --
| > Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
| > xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
| > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
| > For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.

TRENDING THREADS