I'm reinstalling my old printer following a reformat. Why does XP
insist you use the manufacturer's installation disk? My printer came
with a floppy labelled "Printer driver for Windows 3.1 & MS-DOS".
Surely it would be better to use XP's own driver (as I think I did
originally)?

TIA,

--
Martyn Tindall
Leeds, England, United Kingdom

(To reply, please remove "spamfree.".)

IF printer drivers are included with XP, then the printer manufacturer's
website will tell you that. If the printer is as old as 3.1/DOS, there may
not even be drivers available for XP. Your first port of call MUST be the
manufacturer's website. XP CANNOT use drivers for DOS/Windows3.0/3.1,
95/98/98se or ME.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Martyn B Tindall" <martyn@mbtindall.spamfree.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message news:4326897f.36596312@news.freeserve.net...
> I'm reinstalling my old printer following a reformat. Why does XP
> insist you use the manufacturer's installation disk? My printer came
> with a floppy labelled "Printer driver for Windows 3.1 & MS-DOS".
> Surely it would be better to use XP's own driver (as I think I did
> originally)?
>
> TIA,
>

> --
> Martyn Tindall
> Leeds, England, United Kingdom
>
> (To reply, please remove "spamfree.".)

Assuming you now have a flavour of XP, your disk would be very much out of
date. XP doesn't have a true MS-DOS any more, so you would be far better
off going to the website for the manufacturer.