mup.sys problem with old disk and new machine

Greetings. I placed a working 60 Gig WD HDD drive running XP Pro from a P4
1.7Ghz machine with minor mobo problems into a machine with a 2.93Ghz
Celeron. The HDD will not boot and under safe mode - I get MUP.SYS as the
last line. This machine works fine with fresh copy of XP Professional on an
new 80 Gig WD HDD. The only thing I can think of is that the 60Gig drive was
upgraded from Me (so it is a FAT32 disk for sure) whereas the 80Gig drive has
only had XP on it (I formatted the 80Gig as FAT32). Thanks for your time, Dave
PS: Next task is to copy the 60Gig to the 80Gig using Acronis if I can. TXDS
2 answers Last reply
More about problem disk machine

    The mup.sys was the last thing that loaded correctly. You will need to
    do a repair install at minimum.

    DavidS wrote:

    > Greetings. I placed a working 60 Gig WD HDD drive running XP Pro from a P4
    > 1.7Ghz machine with minor mobo problems into a machine with a 2.93Ghz
    > Celeron. The HDD will not boot and under safe mode - I get MUP.SYS as the
    > last line. This machine works fine with fresh copy of XP Professional on an
    > new 80 Gig WD HDD. The only thing I can think of is that the 60Gig drive was
    > upgraded from Me (so it is a FAT32 disk for sure) whereas the 80Gig drive has
    > only had XP on it (I formatted the 80Gig as FAT32). Thanks for your time, Dave
    > PS: Next task is to copy the 60Gig to the 80Gig using Acronis if I can. TXDS

    You've changed the motherboard (because it's a new PC) so poor XP has no
    clue what has happened. It's having too many problems trying to identify
    the new chipset. Perform a Repair Installation and then install the
    motherboard chipset drivers...

    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "DavidS" <DavidS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings. I placed a working 60 Gig WD HDD drive running XP Pro from a P4
    > 1.7Ghz machine with minor mobo problems into a machine with a 2.93Ghz
    > Celeron. The HDD will not boot and under safe mode - I get MUP.SYS as the
    > last line. This machine works fine with fresh copy of XP Professional on
    > an
    > new 80 Gig WD HDD. The only thing I can think of is that the 60Gig drive
    > was
    > upgraded from Me (so it is a FAT32 disk for sure) whereas the 80Gig drive
    > has
    > only had XP on it (I formatted the 80Gig as FAT32). Thanks for your time,
    > Dave
    > PS: Next task is to copy the 60Gig to the 80Gig using Acronis if I can.
    > TXDS

Hard Drives Windows XP