XBOX GOING 64 BIT! WOW

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I been meaning to post this, but i just been a bit busy. In my last CPU MAGAZINE (Computer Power USer)

they have a nice article in there about XBOX 2 Design and it says it will have THREE 64BIT CPU"S from IBM and that Microsoft are just gonna take the Design of the R500 from ATI and have it build by one of there designers...

also "the next xbox will not be compatible with the old one and isn't likely to have a hard drive unless SONY puts one into the PS3." "The Machine is expected to have 256mb of DRAM and will likely use Flash memory instead of a hard drive."

expect launch date = Fall of 2005. oh and the 3 processors are going to be similar to those used in Apple Computers' G5 powermac.

Sounds pretty damn good to me

Rob.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
256 isnt that much , if its going to be released in almost 2006....

man , wtf is taking them so long. the xbox is already quite outdated. and the PS2 just plain [-peep-] blows

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Mr. Blue better come up with some cool chips. I know some of the Power5s can get below 50w of heat, but having 3 chips, plus a high end graphic chip and bridge is going to require some serious cooling, not to mention power to drive um. My XBox is loud as it is.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
i have to say its very dissappointing really. i had heard about the 64bit power pc cpus adn using the r500 design for graphics, but the big thing is no backwards compatibility. it really makes me angry at microsoft, i mean i guess i shouldnt be suprised that they would do that, but still. in my book, its a big plus to run old games wihtout having two systems. hell i bet the ps3 will play ps1 games. i think its a big mistake that could come back ot huant them if this is indeed true. i mena i like the xbox, but i think its stupid for them to do that. all it is is about greed, forcing ppl to just drop their old games or buy 2 systems. i dont want to hear its just to difficult to impliment, its not and that is something everyone knows, playstation i bet you will have it, so microsoft will be stupid to leave it out. i can understand nintendo, they hcange formats every system lol, but xbox... oh well maybe it wont last as long as i thought it would. we will see how things go. i expect to see them all luanch in 2006, 2005 is way too early. no reaosn for ms to rush, since ps3 wont be ready, thier cell chips arent even ready for manufacturing.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
it won't be hardware compatible, but it should be fast enough to run xbox-1 games under some form of software emulation.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Hopefully it would be a shame if they weren’t somehow compatible.

Xeon

<font color=orange>Scratch Here To Reveal Prize</font color=orange>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
i see what your saying, but how many times are you gonna play Halo 1? when freggin the new HALO comes out. or GTA... if you already beat the game why play it more? the new ones will be out. But i do see what your saying and yes leave it to microsoft to drop there [-peep-] and have us keep wasting money on crap. I guess just beat the game, and then trade them in for X2 games.
I just thought it would be pretty sweet running a Game console that has 3 64bit cpus.. lol and the graphics are probley gonna be REDICULOUS.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

Carnivore

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2004
Come on. MS has always been abotu money, and regardless of all teh bashing people will continue to buy their stuff. They know this. So why not make more? Mr. Gates is teh richest man on earth for a reason. If I were in his position I would do the same thing. He was in it to win it from day one. Being a *deleted for content* is what got him where he is today. WHy change? I wouldn't. As a consumer i can not say that I am happy abotu it, but I understand it.

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
Well thats in the OS arena, this is a game console, a market taht sony owns and is its to loose or gain. It has control of how things progress. The thing about backwards compatiblity is for those games taht were only on xbox, like lets say crimson skies or ninja gaiden. Id like to be abl eot buy those and just pop them into my xbox 2. Will I still buy the xbox 2... depends, it certainly wont be as soon as it comes out like i did for the last one. If they do allow older games to be used, then I would change my mind, since I wouldnt need my old xbox anymore. As far as the xbox goes, I dont blame it for being from microsoft lol, its still a great console. Ill probably end up buying it someitme, but ms will loose some money, at least from me, if they take that out. but its true, this is like chump change to bill gates. the xbox lost hundreds of millions, bill didnt even blink. i dont think he is worried, he could buy out sony at anytime if he wanted lol.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
he cant buy sony because of law

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb pc3200 (3-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
LOL, MS would never be able to buy Sony.

A long long time ago, but I can still remember, how that music used to make me smile... <A HREF="http://www.nexus.hu/zonix/DIGGER.MID" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>Digger rulz</font color=blue></b></A>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
[brag, pompous bastard] The whole reason they're releasing it that late is because in 2005 I graduate and they need my l337 programming skillz. This way, I'll develop crazy games, cause I pwn j00 programmers. Hence the delay date- they need me!! [/brag, pompous bastard]

Yeahhhh (u have the right to slap me for talking in tags).

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
I doubt he could afford to buy sony without selling half of microsoft. Let alone the law.

dude, the mans own piggy bank could buy sony 2x over. let alone Microsofts expense account on top of that

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
someone should sniper him. *light bulb* brb, i gotta do something

-------

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
I'm not 100% sure, but Sony has more assets than MS.

All of MS's, and Billies, wealth comes from stock value. MS could never scrape up enough cash to buy Sony.

A long long time ago, but I can still remember, how that music used to make me smile... <A HREF="http://www.nexus.hu/zonix/DIGGER.MID" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>Digger rulz</font color=blue></b></A>

eden

Champion
LMAO, Flamey, the ironic thing is, this isn't the worst bragging you've ever done, and you call this an attempt at being a bad bragger? :lol:

Heheh, funny! :wink:

--
<i>Ede</i>
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>More updates and added sites as over <font color=red>62</font color=red> no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

Ganj

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Actually in the console world 256 megs is sweet kinda like 1 gig of ram to us PC users if im not mistaken.
Anyways bad decision by mister bill gates on switching from nvidia to ati in terms of the gpu and even worst decision with those CPUs,shiet im an AMD fan and I still think they should have at least put an itanium like processor in there,pfffft and they go and put in something related to the G5 CPU which doesnt even have true 64 bit extensions....
Good thing I stick with PCs for gaming,consoles are for kiddies :D

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
First, I think it's a really smart move to go 64Bits on consoles for a few reasons:
1. IBM have already made really good 64bit CPUs which were also good at 32Bit processing.
2. Why will the transition to 64Bits on PC take a while? because you need an OS that supports it, that means 64Bit drivers which takes a lot of time to programme. Also, you need game developers who are willing that only less than 5% of gamers will be able to run their game (actually, with no 64Bit OS available, it's closer to 0%).
These 2 drawbacks don't exist on consoles, the OS is minimal and all the systems are identicle.
I'm not sure, but wasn't Nintendo64 64Bit? I recall game's graphics a lot better (Zelda anyone?) but it failed due to great PR and an infinite choice of games from Sony's Playstation1.

Second, removing the HD only makes sense if:
MS wants to prevent people from hacking the console and installing their own apps on it even if it means crippling the gaming experience. I know that installing the chip in my Xbox was the smartest thing I've done for my Home Entertainment System - I can move anything over Ethernet (100Mbits) and use the Xbox to view or listen to it; TV shows, movies, photo albums... everything at top quallity and so easy to do. Naturally, with no HD where would these be stored? (I didn't use the default HD but I assum that there won't be a way to install a new HD in Xbox2)
2. MS wants to make more money by selling Flash memory for the box.

I know the HD was one of the reasons I chose Xbox over GC and PS2, saving games is a breeze and save files can be larger (in order to minimize the file size on consoles, sometimes you can only save at save-points). Also, until now the Xbox used a 2GB partition for virtual memory because reading files from the DVD can take a lot of time - I wonder what would be done in Xbox2.

<b>Buying Dell for tech-support is like buying Playboy for the articles.</b>