Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Speaker/Amp combo advice please

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
April 15, 2012 2:42:11 PM

Hello, I have these speakers: Tannoy Reveal Near-Field Studio Monitors,One 1" Soft Dome Tweeter, One

6 1/2" Woofer, Bass-Reflex,
MFR: 65 Hz - 20 kHz, Sensitivity: 93 dB/w/m,
Impedance: 6 Ohms Nominal, Power: 30 - 100 Watts

Have just bought a NAD 2155 power amp - it has 8 or 4 ohm output - these speakers are 6ohm - which

setting do I choose? Should I consider a pre-amp or just control volume from the source (juno-g synth or

PC)

Hoping I have a good combination here, mainly for studio recording work, what do people think?
April 16, 2012 3:01:35 AM

stripe said:
Hello, I have these speakers: Tannoy Reveal Near-Field Studio Monitors,One 1" Soft Dome Tweeter, One

6 1/2" Woofer, Bass-Reflex,
MFR: 65 Hz - 20 kHz, Sensitivity: 93 dB/w/m,
Impedance: 6 Ohms Nominal, Power: 30 - 100 Watts

Have just bought a NAD 2155 power amp - it has 8 or 4 ohm output - these speakers are 6ohm - which

setting do I choose? Should I consider a pre-amp or just control volume from the source (juno-g synth or

PC)

Hoping I have a good combination here, mainly for studio recording work, what do people think?
Use the 8 ohm tap for your speakers.Also is this an integrated amp or regular amp? Tannoy and Nad a nice combo.
m
0
l
April 16, 2012 9:15:29 AM

Hi Marv, thanks for the reply. The NAD 2155 is a power amp, not integrated, (there's no volume knob). It's classic buddy would be the NAD 3155 integrated amp with pre out, but I can't find any of these. I am looking at a NAD 7240PE integrated amp instead.

I'm no expert and finding amp combination advice is very difficult due to all the permutations. Which is why I came here.

Could you be more specific on the ohm setting? I've read different settings lead to different power to the speakers, is 4ohms an option for more power, or is it a no-no because the amp could overheat?

Thanks
Dave

m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

April 16, 2012 7:27:23 PM

I believe that the NAD 2155 has an impedance switch on the back which is designed to make sure the amp is stable into the load that it sees. Either setting will probably be OK. If you set it at 4 ohms you get a little less power but a more stable amp, 8 ohms the reverse. I would set it at 4 ohms since your speakers are pretty efficient and you will be near field. Your synth volume control should be OK. Start with it all the way down and slowly bring it up to see what kind of volume range you have. If the full up position is not loud enough you will need a preamp which will have a volume control. If the volume gets loud to fast you will need to reduce the synth output with an inline attenuator.
Share
April 16, 2012 10:35:01 PM

An impedance switch is nothing more than a brick wall power filter.
m
0
l
April 17, 2012 3:21:00 AM

stripe said:
Hi Marv, thanks for the reply. The NAD 2155 is a power amp, not integrated, (there's no volume knob). It's classic buddy would be the NAD 3155 integrated amp with pre out, but I can't find any of these. I am looking at a NAD 7240PE integrated amp instead.

I'm no expert and finding amp combination advice is very difficult due to all the permutations. Which is why I came here.

Could you be more specific on the ohm setting? I've read different settings lead to different power to the speakers, is 4ohms an option for more power, or is it a no-no because the amp could overheat?

Thanks
Dave
Go to a website calledAudio Asylum which lists many used and preamps and other good audio gear for a decent price.Also go to the NAD website.
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 11:36:56 PM

Got the NAD 2155 today and gave it a run, fantastic punch and my speakers are finaly getting the treatment they deserve. If anything, this is too powerful for near field studio monitors, but I'll deal with it :)  Playback is going to be a treat from now on. The unit is very clean and cost me $300 AUD from ebay, (the going rate seems to be $350+)

Still in the market for a NAD integrated to give me more inputs and volume control, but not in any hurry, which will mean I can pay the right price.
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 3:07:15 AM

stripe said:
Got the NAD 2155 today and gave it a run, fantastic punch and my speakers are finaly getting the treatment they deserve. If anything, this is too powerful for near field studio monitors, but I'll deal with it :)  Playback is going to be a treat from now on. The unit is very clean and cost me $300 AUD from ebay, (the going rate seems to be $350+)

Still in the market for a NAD integrated to give me more inputs and volume control, but not in any hurry, which will mean I can pay the right price.
Good luck withy the Nad amp. Look for a 3120 C preamp Nad made years ago which was really great and it cost maybe now tops $100.Also Rotel is a good companion with NAD equipment.
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 11:35:26 AM

musical marv said:
Good luck withy the Nad amp. Look for a 3120 C preamp Nad made years ago which was really great and it cost maybe now tops $100.Also Rotel is a good companion with NAD equipment.


Thanks Marv, the Rotel may be a useful suggestion for me, because the NAD's are scoring top dollar all over ebay, it's very competitiive.
m
0
l
April 20, 2012 3:13:23 AM

stripe said:
Thanks Marv, the Rotel may be a useful suggestion for me, because the NAD's are scoring top dollar all over ebay, it's very competitiive.
You cannot ever go wrong with Rotel. I owned it years ago and it was good sounding and musical to listen to with my Martin Logan Sequel speakers.
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 8:13:13 AM

Thanks again for the advice, I have actualy picked up a NAD 3225PE integrated amp for about $120AUD, which is very clean and a reasonable price, it will give me plenty of inputs and volume control.

Thanks americanaudiophile for your advice on the 4ohm thing - yes, more stable is better, as I am definately not lacking power!
m
0
l
April 27, 2012 8:16:48 AM

Best answer selected by stripe.
m
0
l
!