Print setting in XP

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Just moved up (down?) to XP, and find that I have to go through a lot of
boxes to make sure my printing's in B&W.

Mac print software was very simple, everything in one box, but MS software
seems to make you click a lot of buttons just to set this.

Is there any way to set printing so its always B&W?

Cheers

Tony wrote:

>Just moved up (down?) to XP, and find that I have to go through a lot of
>boxes to make sure my printing's in B&W.
>
>Mac print software was very simple, everything in one box, but MS software
>seems to make you click a lot of buttons just to set this.
>
>Is there any way to set printing so its always B&W?
>

>Cheers

The drivers for your printer should have options including b/w or color
printing. Different drivers have different options in different places.
Right click on the printer and choose 'Printing preferences' if that is
available, or 'Properties' if that is not available. Should be in there
somewhere.

"Tony" <poipoipoi@poipoipoi.com> wrote in message
> Just moved up (down?) to XP, and find that I have to go through a lot of
> boxes to make sure my printing's in B&W.
>
> Mac print software was very simple, everything in one box, but MS software
> seems to make you click a lot of buttons just to set this.
>
> Is there any way to set printing so its always B&W?
>

> Cheers

start / settings / printers / right-click on printer icon / properties /
general tab / preferences button / paper quality tab / click b/w at bottom .

Stew

Assuming that the original poster is using an HP DeskJet or similar animal,
there is another way to do it. First, a comment.

If the printing is ALWAYS B&W, no problem using the one driver installed all the
time, 24/7. To switch easily back and forth between color and B&W, install the
driver a second time, set its properties to B&W and "rename" its icon, giving it
a label indicating that it is B&W only.

Historically, all DeskJets (and LaserJets) have used upward compatible PCL for
printing. If the printer driver's properties do not allow forcing it to always
print B&W, simply install the driver for an older B&W-only DeskJet like the 550.

Either approach should work well for non HP printers, too. Canon, Epson, and
Lexmark are not stupid either. None of them reinvents the wheel when it comes
to printer control languages... Ben Myers