Format hard drive and install XP without all the discs.

Moving far away and planning on transferring my pc to my nieces. I want to
delete everything from it. Would like to format the hard drive and start
anew for them but I don't have any discs. The machine came with Windows 2000
on it and I upgraded to XP using just the upgrade disc.

Thank you folks!
5 answers Last reply
More about format hard drive install discs

    In news:CB097177-56DD-4547-BB27-FCDC4D4D22CF@microsoft.com,
    jagapat <jagapat@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Moving far away and planning on transferring my pc to my
    > nieces. I
    > want to delete everything from it. Would like to format the
    > hard
    > drive and start anew for them but I don't have any discs. The
    > machine came with Windows 2000 on it and I upgraded to XP using
    > just
    > the upgrade disc.

    The requirement to use an upgrade version is to *own* a previous
    qualifying version's installation CD, not to have it installed.
    When setup doesn't find a previous qualifying version installed,
    it will prompt you to insert its CD as proof of ownership. Just
    insert the previous version's CD, and follow the prompts.
    Everything proceeds quite normally and quite legitimately.

    So you can use your Upgrade CD as long as have an installation CD
    of a previous qualifying version (Windows 95, 98, 98SE, Me, or
    2000). If you (or she) don't have one of these, you should be
    able to buy a one used very cheaply.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    No qualifying media, no install. Try ebay?

    jagapat wrote:

    > Moving far away and planning on transferring my pc to my nieces. I want to
    > delete everything from it. Would like to format the hard drive and start
    > anew for them but I don't have any discs. The machine came with Windows 2000
    > on it and I upgraded to XP using just the upgrade disc.
    >
    > Thank you folks!

    You're looking at $90
    http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/details~productID~1717.asp

    Donny Broome
    donny AT broomeman DOT com
    Kill Spyware! Visit:
    http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/

    jagapat <jagapat@discussions.microsoft.com> replied with a ;-)
    > Moving far away and planning on transferring my pc to my nieces. I
    > want to delete everything from it. Would like to format the hard
    > drive and start anew for them but I don't have any discs. The
    > machine came with Windows 2000 on it and I upgraded to XP using just
    > the upgrade disc.
    >
    > Thank you folks!

    If you don't have qualifying media,[even a Win 95 cd will work] you can
    reinstall. This will replace the Windows folder and Documents and Settings
    folder. You can then delete all the other folders and files you added from
    programs installed. A reinstall replaces all the registry settings, My
    Pictures, My Documents, My Music, email accounts, etc. Basically it is a
    clean install with all files and folders not in the Windows and Documents
    and Settings folder left intact.
    You can use applications to securly delete the left over files.
    I would consider this a less than optimal option, but it would accomplish
    the task. Your neices would be in trouble if they needed to reinstall in the
    future.
    Use the steps in the Repair Install web page, but take the option to
    reinstall not to repair.
    Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    Repair Install
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com