Sign in with
Your question

IIS (or other server) behind firewall

Last response: in Networking
December 14, 2001 2:16:36 PM

Hi all
tryying to run IIS behind a linux firewall, IIS starts fine, and can acces my site just fine locally, but no one outside the LAN can access it, I forwarded port 80 but still no joy, I dialled up on a modem thus bypassing the firewall, and all is well, so im 100% sure its the wall, has anyone any suggestions?

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

More about : iis server firewall

December 14, 2001 2:36:40 PM

Have you ever gotten anything else past the wall successfully (e.g. FTP, Telnet, etc.)?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
December 14, 2001 3:33:35 PM

Thanks for the quick reply,

Yes, telnet (port23), and ftp (ports 20/21) are forwarded from my firewall box to the box running the server(s) they work just fine, I forwarded port 80 in exactly the same way but it doesnt work :( 
btw my firewall/router is a p60 running redhat linux 7.1

Related resources
December 14, 2001 8:33:38 PM

Have you tried telnetting to port 80 from outside? At least to see if IIS picks up? This would eliminate some weird browser anomoly. Just wondering...

December 14, 2001 8:53:27 PM

just tried it now, not something that crossed my mind, it timed out, as I ran it on my modem before, it HAS to be my wall, I just dont understand it at all :( 

December 15, 2001 12:13:07 AM

Here's a thought - is your ISP possibly blocking port 80 (due to problems with code red, etc.)?

December 15, 2001 9:18:21 AM

hmm, possibility, as I said, I dialled up on a modem (different isp) and was fine, when I get home I'll connect my cable directly to the box running iis and see what happens, but im sure its the wall blocking it somehow.
Unfortunately I cant ask my isp as they dont allow web/ftp servers (not that they even know what one is!!)

December 15, 2001 12:30:31 PM

I'm a little confused about what the 2 different things you're doing (modem access vs. whatever the other access is). Can you explain in more detail?

December 15, 2001 1:07:25 PM

Port 80 blocking is EXTREMELY common...I know my ISP does it <grrr....>

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
December 15, 2001 2:57:16 PM

ok
trying to host my site on my pc
pc with site is windows, which is behind a linux firewall

setup iis, could connect local but no external could connect
plugged modem into windows box and went online, everyone able to connect- this just proved that iis was running fine.

Since then, I have plugged straight into the cable modem bypassing my linux firewall, and no probs at all, so port 80 isnt blocked by my isp so it has to be the wall, but as I said, port 80 is being forwarded, any suggestions.

December 15, 2001 10:47:21 PM

Run it on port 8080.

Apache is really easy to config like this, but I don't know about IIS.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
December 16, 2001 2:03:59 AM

When you test without the modem, how are you doing this? Getting a friend to try to connect? See, when you say you're dialing out with a modem, it would seem to me that you still have to come in via your ISP. Thats why I'm still confused.

December 16, 2001 11:00:42 AM

ok
when I dialed on the modem, I dialed direct from the box running iis, and disconnected the rj45 so this was basically a box running iis via a modem conection (used different isp so this was basically a box that could have been anywhere on earth)
connected from another pc on my cable conenction- just to prove that iis was setup and working corretly- which it was as I could view my site.
I've since tried it on port 8080 and its exactly the same, I really dont understand why, unless it needs another port - like ftp needs 20 as well as 21 ? Im lost for ideas :( 

December 16, 2001 5:44:47 PM

OK, so you're saying you connected your IIS server to the Internet via a ppp connection through a dialup ISP, then tried to reach your website via the cable connection? I see. That doesn't prove that the wall is at fault. New question: Is there any way to tell the linux firewall to log all incoming requests? This way maybe you can at least see th initial http request come in, and maybe get a clue as to why it's not being forwarded.

December 17, 2001 7:44:12 AM

I logged all traffic and it showed my ip accessing my box on port 80 and being accepted :( 
as for connecting on the modem, that totally bypassed the firewall and I connected fine, I've also tried other prts and the same happens :( 

December 17, 2001 8:14:13 AM

CALV, could you post the relevant sections from your config files and the log entries you mentioned? Just wondering what they look like. Thanks.

December 17, 2001 9:45:15 AM

i could, Im at work just now, will do it when I get home, thanks for the help.

!