Sign in with
Your question

[SOLVED] TP-Link Gigabit PCI network card

Last response: in Windows 8
June 11, 2012 3:17:41 PM

Hello all,

This is my first question on here, so go easy on me, lol.

I have a gigabit network card that I use now in my system because my onboard is a bit on the fritz, losing connection and getting very slow speeds. Unfortunatly i do not have the exact model number of the card i have on my since im currently at work and do not have access to the TP-Link website (but they give me access to this one.. ya..). There are only two models on their site, mine is the lower model number that comes up.

it has up to win7 64-bit obviously, just wondering if anyone else has tried using this network card with win8 release preview 64-bit?

Here is what i have done so far:
- tested both PCI slots on board
- manually installed driver
- un-installed both mainboard and add in nic drivers and disabled onboard nic
- for kicks, tried vista driver and 32-bit driver
- tried auto update for driver

May have missed something in what i have done, but that is the just of it.

also now the card will not come up in device manager after uninstalling it. I have dual boot to win7 and it works perfect with that OS.

any suggestions would be awesome

and if system specs are needed they should appear in my signature.... or not...

here they are:
Asus M4A88TD-V Evo/USB3 / Phenom II X4 955 / corsair vengence 8gb 1866mhz / Power Color HD6950 2GB Dual Fan / 4 X 1TB Seagate HDD / 500GB Seagate HDD / ThermalTake TR2X 1000W PSU Modular / Cooler Master Hyper 212+ / Cooler Master Haf 932 Advanced case / w
a b \ Driver
a b * Windows 8
June 11, 2012 3:36:23 PM

Hi there,

I actually have the same adapter in my desktop. The adapter actually uses a standard Broadcom chip (I think, I'm not there to check) and Windows has the necessary drivers included already. It should show up automatically and install itself if you do a "scan for new hardware"
m
l
June 11, 2012 3:40:20 PM

I had tried that, mine has the realtek chip
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2012 3:40:59 PM

If it works on windows 7 it will work with windows 8. In win 8 does device manger see any unrocognized devices? Are there any unknown devices with a red ? or a yellow!. If it is just not there then you have some other conflict with the way win8 installed other board resources.

See if you can use your on board network card long enought to let windows search for updates. Set it just to notify and not down load all updates yet. The driver might be under optional updates.

TP link uses realtek network controllers so you could use the generic driver from realtek if you like.

Look at your card and match the part number on the chip with the crab on it to one of these and get the corrisponding driver. http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?...

If the driver is an .exe you may need to run the installer in compatibility mode.

m
l
June 11, 2012 3:46:39 PM

I'll try the realtek driver when I get home, I had tried auto updates, it had a realtek driver and it installed but still did not work.

I'll update later if this other driver works

EDIT - for some reason when i booted the PC again with the ethernet cable plugged in to the tp-link adapter, it now works
m
l
!