Dx11 on a dx10 gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubergamer

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Hello,i am really stuck with this issue:i use my old nvidia geforce 9600gt card and i am currently making it run with win vista sp1 x86 ultimate.with the superb reviews of windows7 floating,i am thinking of upgrading my OS to win 7.......

MY QUESTION:will i be able to run all my older applications and games requiring dx9 and dx10 on a dx11 based OS?...and will my GPU support dx11(since me not knowing the backward compatibilty).??....please help me out with this :(

Solution
Windows vista and 7 are not that different from each other. Basically if your program works on vista it will work on 7. The differences are much bigger with XP and vista/7. Also if you plan to move from 32-bit to 64-bit environment there might be some issues with older programs that don't support 64-bit.
Personally though i have to say that the compatibility with windows 7 and older operating systems is great. I haven't had any problems running older programs with the Win7 64-bit and i migrated from windows xp 32-bit to my current Win7.
Directx is backwards compatible. So if your card supports directx 10 it supports any directx upto that version but not directx 11. You just can't run any programs in DX11 mode. This is not an issue...

shubham1401

Distinguished
Yes those apps will run even if you have a DX10 card.
I'm running my games (newer and older) wit my 9800GT on Windows 7 and they all work fine(Very very few might have compatibility issue).

Even my old Geforce 6200 was running all the games perfectly fine on Windows 7.

Nowa

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Windows vista and 7 are not that different from each other. Basically if your program works on vista it will work on 7. The differences are much bigger with XP and vista/7. Also if you plan to move from 32-bit to 64-bit environment there might be some issues with older programs that don't support 64-bit.
Personally though i have to say that the compatibility with windows 7 and older operating systems is great. I haven't had any problems running older programs with the Win7 64-bit and i migrated from windows xp 32-bit to my current Win7.
Directx is backwards compatible. So if your card supports directx 10 it supports any directx upto that version but not directx 11. You just can't run any programs in DX11 mode. This is not an issue since there are presently no programs that REQUIRE directx 11 it is just an optional enhancement and the program / game usually just uses whichever you have available. Even games that require DX10 are very rare. The operating system itself does not need a card that is compatible with directx version "X". It's the programs that may need a card that is compatible with say directx 10.

Solution

ubergamer

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

thanks a lot for your earlier reply.so i will finally migrate from vista now...thanks a ton mate

ubergamer

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

thanks buddy....thanks a ton for that reply.i will now be switching on over win 7 hopefully :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS