Kezzy

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2004
I am not home right now so ill try to be as specific as possible.

I just bought a new case/powersupply a intel p4 2.8e processor and a new Asus p4p800 mobo.

First boot I make after mounting the board in the bios I went from 44C to 50C beforer turning it off...It freaked me out because even my AMD ran at around 37C the first time i used them.

So I replaced the heatsink that came with the intel processor which is recommended by Intel. I even decided to add some artic silver for good measure since it looked good.

helped a little but still ran very hot. Around 48 idle and over 50 under medium load. That is with an open case and a commercial fan blowing straight on the board. had I closed case it would have been worse.

I tested a new video card and removed useless hardware like sound card. no go. I updated bios to 1016 which is most recent update...nogo. I tried my friend's intel 2.3 i think and it ran at about 43.

I disabled power management from bios as per intel recommendation in one of their script for heat problems. I use asus probe while in windows to monitor.

I tried a different cpu fan in case it was that one.

I exchanged the processor to the shop for a new one and the new one idles at 50-52C and goes up to 54-56C while in medium load.

The case temp never goes higher then 34 (nothing to do with it I even tried with the mobo on a piece of cardboard outside of case)

Does anyone know if there is a bug that would make this board report wrong temp? or a way I could fix this issue? I dont think the extreme processors are supposed to run that high because I see people with 3.0e oerclocking them like crazy and they get less temp in full load then i get in idle.

Mine is not overclocked. I also tried to set the fan speed for the cpu fan on auto or on manual at top speed...nohing changed. if I touch my heatsink its not buring its just light warm. I dont feel excesive heat coming out of it.

Voltage for VCORE is at 1.4v which is whats recommended (max) on processor box. It usually sits a little under 1.4 at around 1.395 i think.

sSpec: sl79k (not sure if thats usefull info)

Any help would be appreciated.

JoeB

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2003
WHY DID YOU BUY A PRESCOTT?!?

Honestly, that processor isn't as good as a northwood running at the same speed. The prescott is also notoriously HOT... It is known to have run at 70Celsius and higher.

BTW: 50 Celsius is normal (heck, it's even low) for a prescott....

Kezzy

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2004
Is it recommended then to buy a bigger a la AMD type fan? At the cost of more noise would it make a noticeable difference? anyone aware?

What I dont get tho is that you say its normal and I read reviews of people who bought p4 3.0e and overclock them at 3700 and they say it idles at 43c and go around 51 in high load?? thats less then mine in idle state...Im really confused.

Water cooling might be your best bet, but frankly, 50c isn't high enough to be concerned about. In summertime, my p4 routinely gets above 50c when I'm not running the a/c. I let it get up to 80c while waiting on a replacement heatsink, and noticed no long term affects.

Kezzy

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2004
Whats scaring me is yours "routinely " gets over 50 in the summer...Im still having cold temperature where I am...and I am getting 52 stable in BIOS....so nothing running....so routinely ill probably be around 10c more then you in average with a brand new processor and heatsink/fan....why this huge difference?

Kezzy

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2004
It "seems" to run fine but I havent tested it enough yet ran out of time. I only played magic online and counter-strike which are not that demanding so Ill probly run 3dmark 2003 tonight and try the unreal tournament 2004 demo to push it more.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
try running Prime or SuperPI for 30 minutes if you have the balls. I'm taking bets it will get pretty close to 70°C.

There is not a whole lot you can do about it either; if you can replace your 2.8E with a 2.8C, by all means, do it. You'll get a cooler and faster chip that costs exactly the same ammount of money. You will also have much better chances of overclocking the P4C without blowing the fuses of your PSU or melting your motherboard.

If you can't return it.. well, tough luck. Next time, do some research before you buy. The "good" news is Prescott seems to be able to handle those high temps, so you shouldnt worry too much though it remains to be seen how long the cpu will last at those temps. It can not be beneficial in the long run...

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
If the CPU is not ramping down, it means it is not too hot - "as far as intel is concerned anyway".

One important precaution to note, that a lot of people don't know, is - do not touch the CPU or Mainboard pin contacts as corrosion/high resistance can occur over time and produce HOT JOINTS. This fault can cause other problems too.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

JoeB

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2003
do not touch the CPU or Mainboard pin contacts as corrosion/high resistance can occur over time and produce HOT JOINTS. This fault can cause other problems too.
hmm, never knew that, good advice.

whompiedompie<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by joeb on 03/12/04 03:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>