Thumbnail view for mpg files

Hi. I have a fairly easy question:

I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2 XP
machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG extenstion.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about thumbnail view files

    Type in Start, Run:

    regsvr32 shmedia.dll

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "MKO" <MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. I have a fairly easy question:
    >
    > I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2 XP
    > machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG
    > extenstion.
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    Thanks Ramesh. I tried the run line command, but to no avail. Any other
    ideas? Thanks

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Type in Start, Run:
    >
    > regsvr32 shmedia.dll
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "MKO" <MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi. I have a fairly easy question:
    > >
    > > I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2 XP
    > > machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG
    > > extenstion.
    > > Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    MKO,

    See if you have this registry key:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

    (default) value being {c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}

    If the key is intact and the problem persists, then it might be due to a
    third-party codec?

    --

    > Thanks Ramesh. I tried the run line command, but to no avail. Any other
    > ideas? Thanks
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Type in Start, Run:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 shmedia.dll
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "MKO" <MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi. I have a fairly easy question:
    >> >
    >> > I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2
    >> > XP
    >> > machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG
    >> > extenstion.
    >> > Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:50:56 -0700, MKO
    <MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi. I have a fairly easy question:
    >
    >I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2 XP
    >machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG extenstion.
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated.

    Ramesh gave you some goood suggestions.

    I have a question though. Are you getting just a black picture for
    the thumbnail on them? If so then it just means that the first frame
    of the file is black. Pretty normal for most mpg files.

    Hi Ramesh. I checked the key and it is intact. Thanks again for the help.

    Hi Les. No the thumbnail is the standard/default windows media player icon.

    Perhaps, as Remesh suggested there is a 3rd party codec as the culprit.
    I'll have to try removing this codec if I'm brave.

    You could use MMCompView from www.nirsoft.net to disable Codecs temporarily.

    --

    > Hi Ramesh. I checked the key and it is intact. Thanks again for the
    > help.
    >
    > Hi Les. No the thumbnail is the standard/default windows media player
    > icon.
    >
    > Perhaps, as Remesh suggested there is a 3rd party codec as the culprit.
    > I'll have to try removing this codec if I'm brave.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> MKO,
    >>
    >> See if you have this registry key:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}
    >>
    >> (default) value being {c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}
    >>
    >> If the key is intact and the problem persists, then it might be due to a
    >> third-party codec?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "MKO" <MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks Ramesh. I tried the run line command, but to no avail. Any
    >> > other
    >> > ideas? Thanks

Microsoft Extension Windows XP