Thumbnail view for mpg files

September 13, 2005 6:50:56 PM

Hi. I have a fairly easy question:

I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2 XP
machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG extenstion.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 12:45:29 PM

Type in Start, Run:

regsvr32 shmedia.dll

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"MKO" <MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I have a fairly easy question:
>
> I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2 XP
> machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG
> extenstion.
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 12:45:30 PM

Thanks Ramesh. I tried the run line command, but to no avail. Any other
ideas? Thanks

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Type in Start, Run:
>
> regsvr32 shmedia.dll
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MKO" <MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. I have a fairly easy question:
> >
> > I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2 XP
> > machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG
> > extenstion.
> > Any suggestions will be appreciated.

September 14, 2005 11:43:10 PM

MKO,

See if you have this registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

(default) value being {c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}

If the key is intact and the problem persists, then it might be due to a
third-party codec?

--

> Thanks Ramesh. I tried the run line command, but to no avail. Any other
> ideas? Thanks
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Type in Start, Run:
>>
>> regsvr32 shmedia.dll
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "MKO" <MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi. I have a fairly easy question:
>> >
>> > I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2
>> > XP
>> > machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG
>> > extenstion.
>> > Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 9:33:02 AM

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:50:56 -0700, MKO
<MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi. I have a fairly easy question:
>
>I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2 XP
>machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG extenstion.
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ramesh gave you some goood suggestions.

I have a question though. Are you getting just a black picture for
the thumbnail on them? If so then it just means that the first frame
of the file is black. Pretty normal for most mpg files.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:00:07 PM

Hi Ramesh. I checked the key and it is intact. Thanks again for the help.

Hi Les. No the thumbnail is the standard/default windows media player icon.

Perhaps, as Remesh suggested there is a 3rd party codec as the culprit.
I'll have to try removing this codec if I'm brave.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> MKO,
>
> See if you have this registry key:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}
>
> (default) value being {c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}
>
> If the key is intact and the problem persists, then it might be due to a
> third-party codec?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MKO" <MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Ramesh. I tried the run line command, but to no avail. Any other
> > ideas? Thanks
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Type in Start, Run:
> >>
> >> regsvr32 shmedia.dll