Hi. I have a fairly easy question:

I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2 XP
machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG extenstion.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Type in Start, Run:

regsvr32 shmedia.dll

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"MKO" <MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I have a fairly easy question:
>
> I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2 XP
> machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG
> extenstion.
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks Ramesh. I tried the run line command, but to no avail. Any other
ideas? Thanks

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Type in Start, Run:
>
> regsvr32 shmedia.dll
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MKO" <MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. I have a fairly easy question:
> >
> > I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2 XP
> > machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG
> > extenstion.
> > Any suggestions will be appreciated.

MKO,

See if you have this registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

(default) value being {c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}

If the key is intact and the problem persists, then it might be due to a
third-party codec?

--

> Thanks Ramesh. I tried the run line command, but to no avail. Any other
> ideas? Thanks
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Type in Start, Run:
>>
>> regsvr32 shmedia.dll
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "MKO" <MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi. I have a fairly easy question:
>> >
>> > I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2
>> > XP
>> > machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG
>> > extenstion.
>> > Any suggestions will be appreciated.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:50:56 -0700, MKO
<MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi. I have a fairly easy question:
>
>I cannot get *.MPG files to show a thumbnail. This is occurring on 2 XP
>machines; the *.WMV extension shows the thumbnail but not a *.MPG extenstion.
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ramesh gave you some goood suggestions.

I have a question though. Are you getting just a black picture for
the thumbnail on them? If so then it just means that the first frame
of the file is black. Pretty normal for most mpg files.

Hi Ramesh. I checked the key and it is intact. Thanks again for the help.

Hi Les. No the thumbnail is the standard/default windows media player icon.

Perhaps, as Remesh suggested there is a 3rd party codec as the culprit.
I'll have to try removing this codec if I'm brave.

You could use MMCompView from www.nirsoft.net to disable Codecs temporarily.

--

> Hi Ramesh. I checked the key and it is intact. Thanks again for the
> help.
>
> Hi Les. No the thumbnail is the standard/default windows media player
> icon.
>
> Perhaps, as Remesh suggested there is a 3rd party codec as the culprit.
> I'll have to try removing this codec if I'm brave.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> MKO,
>>
>> See if you have this registry key:
>>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}
>>
>> (default) value being {c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}
>>
>> If the key is intact and the problem persists, then it might be due to a
>> third-party codec?
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "MKO" <MKO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Ramesh. I tried the run line command, but to no avail. Any
>> > other
>> > ideas? Thanks

Latest posts