Entering Network Password Box

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have the network password box pop up every few seconds all the time. It is
about to drive me up the wall. Does any one know a fix for this problem?
4 answers Last reply
More about entering network password
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    db wrote:

    > I have the network password box pop up every few seconds all the time.
    > It is about to drive me up the wall. Does any one know a fix for this
    > problem?

    Are you talking about a dialup networking logon box? If so, then
    something on your computer is trying to dial out. What is the
    virus/malware status of the computer? Be sure it is clean:

    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I am on broadband with Comcast cable. Virus protection is OK. I have had a
    "tech look at the problem and he doesn't know haow to fix it. I looking at
    the discussions it seems I am not the only one to have this problem. Any
    advise iwll be appreciated.

    "Malke" wrote:

    > db wrote:
    >
    > > I have the network password box pop up every few seconds all the time.
    > > It is about to drive me up the wall. Does any one know a fix for this
    > > problem?
    >
    > Are you talking about a dialup networking logon box? If so, then
    > something on your computer is trying to dial out. What is the
    > virus/malware status of the computer? Be sure it is clean:
    >
    > http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    db wrote:

    > I am on broadband with Comcast cable. Virus protection is OK. I have
    > had a "tech look at the problem and he doesn't know haow to fix it. I
    > looking at the discussions it seems I am not the only one to have this
    > problem. Any advise iwll be appreciated.
    >

    I'd be glad to give you advice if you would answer the questions I asked
    you. Now we know that you are on Comcast cable so you should not be
    seeing any network logon boxes, dialup or otherwise. But you haven't
    told us exactly what you're seeing and what the malware status of the
    computer is. Again, if you are seeing a dialup logon box, you have
    something trying to connect to the Internet that doesn't know you have
    cable access. That "something" could be an older but legitimate program
    or it could be malware. Check for malware:

    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

    If what you are seeing is *not* a dialup logon box, then please describe
    it exactly. Do the virus/malware troubleshooting before posting back
    and make sure to include the results.

    If this seems like more work than you'd like to do - and there is
    absolutely *nothing* wrong with deciding that - take the machine to a
    professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of
    BigStoreUSA).

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thank you for your response. I will read and digest the info and see if I can
    do this. If not I will take machine to a repair pro.

    "Malke" wrote:

    > db wrote:
    >
    > > I am on broadband with Comcast cable. Virus protection is OK. I have
    > > had a "tech look at the problem and he doesn't know haow to fix it. I
    > > looking at the discussions it seems I am not the only one to have this
    > > problem. Any advise iwll be appreciated.
    > >
    >
    > I'd be glad to give you advice if you would answer the questions I asked
    > you. Now we know that you are on Comcast cable so you should not be
    > seeing any network logon boxes, dialup or otherwise. But you haven't
    > told us exactly what you're seeing and what the malware status of the
    > computer is. Again, if you are seeing a dialup logon box, you have
    > something trying to connect to the Internet that doesn't know you have
    > cable access. That "something" could be an older but legitimate program
    > or it could be malware. Check for malware:
    >
    > http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
    >
    > If what you are seeing is *not* a dialup logon box, then please describe
    > it exactly. Do the virus/malware troubleshooting before posting back
    > and make sure to include the results.
    >
    > If this seems like more work than you'd like to do - and there is
    > absolutely *nothing* wrong with deciding that - take the machine to a
    > professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of
    > BigStoreUSA).
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Microsoft Windows XP