new Dell 8300

I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk, DVD+R/RW,
512 MB RAM.

What about performance of current Dell PCs? Can the cope with other
manufacturers?
17 answers Last reply
More about dell 8300

    Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:

    >I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk, DVD+R/RW,
    >512 MB RAM.
    >
    >What about performance of current Dell PCs? Can the cope with other
    >manufacturers?

    Assuming you meant that to read "Can *they* cope with other
    manufacturers?", two questions.

    What do you mean by "cope?"

    Other manufacturer's what? Programs? Hard Drives? Video Cards?
    Internal/External Modems?

    That was a rather nebulous, ill-defined, open-ended pair of
    questions you asked there; for which, as written, there are no
    possible answers.
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

    "Markus" <ma@online.de> wrote in message
    > I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk, DVD+R/RW,
    > 512 MB RAM.

    Scrape the DVD+R/RW and save what money you can. Then purchase
    a DVD-R/RW/+R/+RW drive.

    moncho

    moncho <moncho@NOspamameritech.net> coughed up the following:

    > "Markus" <ma@online.de> wrote in message
    >> I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk,
    >> DVD+R/RW, 512 MB RAM.
    >
    > Scrape the DVD+R/RW and save what money you can. Then purchase
    > a DVD-R/RW/+R/+RW drive.
    >
    > moncho

    I agree----it seems like one of the more obvious things that I /didn't/
    do when I bought my 8300. So I'll live with + for a while and see if I
    eventually need to change to a +- later. But if you're buying now, punt
    the dell + and buy your own +-.

    --
    Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

    moncho wrote:
    > "Markus" <ma@online.de> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk, DVD+R/RW,
    >>512 MB RAM.
    >

    > Scrape the DVD+R/RW and save what money you can. Then purchase
    > a DVD-R/RW/+R/+RW drive.

    Sounds like good advice to me, I'll 2nd Moncho's recommendation.

    > What do you mean by "cope?"

    Well, I read test reports in computer magazines and I know some boards
    e.g. Asus et.al.

    Dell seems to build own boards at least some hardware test-progs state
    Dell as manufacturer. Maybe the boards are produced for Dell. I've no clue
    to compare these boards with?

    Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:

    >> What do you mean by "cope?"

    >Well, I read test reports in computer magazines and I know some boards
    >e.g. Asus et.al.
    >
    >Dell seems to build own boards at least some hardware test-progs state
    >Dell as manufacturer. Maybe the boards are produced for Dell. I've no clue
    >to compare these boards with?

    They are built to Dell's specifications. Differences are pretty
    much on peripheral things, connections to front USB/audio panel,
    and the power setup /used/ to be proprietary, IIRC. You can look
    up the board specs for a given Dell model on the web site. I
    have never worried about specific motherboard comparisons, since
    my computing is pretty much plain vanilla, and insensitive to
    what Intel chipset is on the board.

    But that /was/ the point of my post, getting you to state what
    things you wanted to know. Is there a specific requirement
    peculiar to the motherboard that any computer you buy has to
    meet? That is not set out in the board specs available on the
    Dell web site?
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

    Dell uses Intel-branded and -designed motherboards with a relatively special
    Dell BIOS which identifies itself with Dell being the manufacturer. As to who
    manufactures the Intel-branded boards now? Not Intel, but probably Foxconn, the
    same company which manufactures the Dell cases.

    For a long time it has been customary in the industry for a name-brand company
    to use motherboards manufactured by a motherboard manufacturer. After all, with
    the expertise needed to design and manufacture a mobo, why would a company
    duplicate all the design, engineering and test resources, both people and
    physical plant.

    Also for a long time, Dell has insisted on a BIOS with a special Dell
    look-and-feel. IBM has done the same almost forever. Gateway, HP and eMachines
    (ugh!) all use a pretty standard generic BIOS from the board manufacturer, with
    a custom splash screen graphic and a BIOS identifier code identifying the board
    as made for a specific name brand... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:34:25 +0200, Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:

    >> What do you mean by "cope?"
    >
    >Well, I read test reports in computer magazines and I know some boards
    >e.g. Asus et.al.
    >
    >Dell seems to build own boards at least some hardware test-progs state
    >Dell as manufacturer. Maybe the boards are produced for Dell. I've no clue
    >to compare these boards with?

    > things you wanted to know. Is there a specific requirement
    > peculiar to the motherboard that any computer you buy has to

    Well, the main task I use my computer for is rendering DVD Videos to SVCD
    using Cinemacraft or TMPEgenc. The CPU and memory throughput are the most
    important things for that, I guess.

    At second place I use it for muxing/demuxing/editing of mpeg and avi
    videofiles.

    Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:

    >> things you wanted to know. Is there a specific requirement
    >> peculiar to the motherboard that any computer you buy has to

    >Well, the main task I use my computer for is rendering DVD Videos to SVCD
    >using Cinemacraft or TMPEgenc. The CPU and memory throughput are the most
    >important things for that, I guess.
    >
    >At second place I use it for muxing/demuxing/editing of mpeg and avi
    >videofiles.

    Ooooookkkkkkaaaaaayyyyyyy. I'll just bow out right now, since I
    don't do any of that. ;->

    Except to say that there are those here who do, and who have
    found the 8300s quite satisfactory for tasks like that.

    You'll probably want to take it up to 1MB after delivery
    [crucial.com et al will be less cost than getting it from Dell],
    and might want to consider also buying your DVD burner
    after-market. From what I have read in this news group, people
    seem to have more complaints with the DVD+R/RW format than the
    DVD-R/RW format, and Dell is locked into the DVD+ side.
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 11:21:07 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
    <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:
    >
    >>> things you wanted to know. Is there a specific requirement
    >>> peculiar to the motherboard that any computer you buy has to
    >
    >>Well, the main task I use my computer for is rendering DVD Videos to SVCD
    >>using Cinemacraft or TMPEgenc. The CPU and memory throughput are the most
    >>important things for that, I guess.
    >>
    >>At second place I use it for muxing/demuxing/editing of mpeg and avi
    >>videofiles.
    >
    >Ooooookkkkkkaaaaaayyyyyyy. I'll just bow out right now, since I
    >don't do any of that. ;->
    >
    >Except to say that there are those here who do, and who have
    >found the 8300s quite satisfactory for tasks like that.
    >
    >You'll probably want to take it up to 1MB after delivery

    One whole meg? Really? That much? But...but...but... Didn't Bill Gates
    say that 640K should be enough for anyone?

    (Okay, I'll stop being a smartass now. Obvious typo on your part. I
    use an 8300 with a gig o'ram with no prob.)

    >[crucial.com et al will be less cost than getting it from Dell],
    >and might want to consider also buying your DVD burner
    >after-market. From what I have read in this news group, people
    >seem to have more complaints with the DVD+R/RW format than the
    >DVD-R/RW format, and Dell is locked into the DVD+ side.

    "We're still flying."
    ----- Joss Whedon, June 3rd 2004

    Avatar <avatar@donoteventhinkaboutit.com> wrote:

    >Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>You'll probably want to take it up to 1MB after delivery
    >
    >One whole meg? Really? That much? But...but...but... Didn't Bill Gates
    >say that 640K should be enough for anyone?
    >
    >(Okay, I'll stop being a smartass now. Obvious typo on your part. I
    >use an 8300 with a gig o'ram with no prob.)

    Hey, gimme a break! Late start today, and I'm not even on my
    second cup of caffeine yet.

    512MB has done fine by me, but then I don't do all the fancy
    stuff our friend Markus wants to do with his computer. ;->
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:37:31 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Ogden Johnson
    III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk, DVD+R/RW,
    >>512 MB RAM.
    >>
    >>What about performance of current Dell PCs? Can the cope with other
    >>manufacturers?
    >
    >Assuming you meant that to read "Can *they* cope with other
    >manufacturers?", two questions.
    >
    >What do you mean by "cope?"

    Ogden,

    Rereading the posts in this thread, I think he meant "Can they COMPETE with
    other manufacturers"; i.e., is their performance comparable to other brands.

    That may clarify the discussion a bit.

    (I don't think English is Markus' native language, but he certainly does
    very well with it; far better than I can do with any other language. :) )

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    Nick <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote:

    >Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:

    >>>I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk, DVD+R/RW,
    >>>512 MB RAM.
    >>>
    >>>What about performance of current Dell PCs? Can the cope with other
    >>>manufacturers?

    >>Assuming you meant that to read "Can *they* cope with other
    >>manufacturers?", two questions.
    >>
    >>What do you mean by "cope?"

    >Rereading the posts in this thread, I think he meant "Can they COMPETE with
    >other manufacturers"; i.e., is their performance comparable to other brands.
    >
    >That may clarify the discussion a bit.
    >
    >(I don't think English is Markus' native language, but he certainly does
    >very well with it; far better than I can do with any other language. :) )

    Indeed, and I was trying to elicit what he wanted to do with the
    8300. Which he has answered, as you have probably seen by now.
    --

    Markus <ma@online.de> coughed up the following:

    >> things you wanted to know. Is there a specific requirement
    >> peculiar to the motherboard that any computer you buy has to
    >
    > Well, the main task I use my computer for is rendering DVD Videos to
    > SVCD using Cinemacraft or TMPEgenc. The CPU and memory throughput are
    > the most important things for that, I guess.

    I'm guessing that PCI bandwidth (PCI-E, PCI-X) is gonna matter a lot
    too.

    --
    Onedoctortoanother:"Ifthisismyrectalthermometer,wherethehell'smypen???"

    Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> coughed up the following:

    > Avatar <avatar@donoteventhinkaboutit.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>> You'll probably want to take it up to 1MB after delivery
    >>
    >> One whole meg? Really? That much? But...but...but... Didn't Bill
    >> Gates say that 640K should be enough for anyone?
    >>
    >> (Okay, I'll stop being a smartass now. Obvious typo on your part. I
    >> use an 8300 with a gig o'ram with no prob.)
    >
    > Hey, gimme a break! Late start today, and I'm not even on my
    > second cup of caffeine yet.
    >
    > 512MB has done fine by me, but then I don't do all the fancy
    > stuff our friend Markus wants to do with his computer. ;->

    Me too, and I'm glad you mentioned that number.

    As a software engineer, I'm well aware of what causes demand-paging.
    Well, it's demand.

    I've been head to head with people saying over and over without regard
    to the actual /usage/ of the machine that (paraphrase):

    "Geez, if you really want a machine that screams, then why
    did you order only 1 GB when you could have ordered 2 ???"

    Basically, I often run the following concurrently in a mere 512MB, and
    they're modest to fair heavy hitters in the memory category, but not
    astronomical like video editing can be:

    WinXP
    Word 2000
    Outlook
    Outlook Express
    Trillian
    Eclipse (OI, this is one java IDE one that gobbles memory like
    candy).

    And I have yet to page as near as I can tell, and I watch it
    continually.

    Thomas

    ....[thwack]...

    --
    Onedoctortoanother:"Ifthisismyrectalthermometer,wherethehell'smypen???"

    Nick <tanstaafl@pobox.com> coughed up the following:

    > On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:37:31 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Ogden
    > Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk,
    >>> DVD+R/RW, 512 MB RAM.
    >>>
    >>> What about performance of current Dell PCs? Can the cope with other
    >>> manufacturers?
    >>
    >> Assuming you meant that to read "Can *they* cope with other
    >> manufacturers?", two questions.
    >>
    >> What do you mean by "cope?"
    >
    > Ogden,
    >
    > Rereading the posts in this thread, I think he meant "Can they
    > COMPETE with other manufacturers"; i.e., is their performance
    > comparable to other brands.
    >
    > That may clarify the discussion a bit.
    >
    > (I don't think English is Markus' native language, but he certainly
    > does very well with it; far better than I can do with any other
    > language. :) )

    FWIW, English /is/ my native language, my /only/ language, and most
    foreigners I know are better at it than I.

    --
    Onedoctortoanother:"Ifthisismyrectalthermometer,wherethehell'smypen???"

    Hi folks,

    (misplaced my last posting ...)

    thanks a lot for your patience.

    Indeed, english is not my native language, I'm german (but I try to
    improve and getting better...)

    To be honest, I'm satisfied with the performance of my 8600 but as someone
    already stated Dell is stuck in DVD+R/RW burner.

    I flashed the NEC 2100AD with Dangerous Brothers' patched version of the
    2500AD ...

Dell Performance Dimension Computers