Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

new Dell 8300

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 8:56:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk, DVD+R/RW,
512 MB RAM.

What about performance of current Dell PCs? Can the cope with other
manufacturers?

More about : dell 8300

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 8:56:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:

>I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk, DVD+R/RW,
>512 MB RAM.
>
>What about performance of current Dell PCs? Can the cope with other
>manufacturers?

Assuming you meant that to read "Can *they* cope with other
manufacturers?", two questions.

What do you mean by "cope?"

Other manufacturer's what? Programs? Hard Drives? Video Cards?
Internal/External Modems?

That was a rather nebulous, ill-defined, open-ended pair of
questions you asked there; for which, as written, there are no
possible answers.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 10:53:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Markus" <ma@online.de> wrote in message
news:o pr8y2g3xpkb9lad@dgnt.proses.local...
> I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk, DVD+R/RW,
> 512 MB RAM.

Scrape the DVD+R/RW and save what money you can. Then purchase
a DVD-R/RW/+R/+RW drive.

moncho
Related resources
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 9:27:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

moncho <moncho@NOspamameritech.net> coughed up the following:

> "Markus" <ma@online.de> wrote in message
> news:o pr8y2g3xpkb9lad@dgnt.proses.local...
>> I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk,
>> DVD+R/RW, 512 MB RAM.
>
> Scrape the DVD+R/RW and save what money you can. Then purchase
> a DVD-R/RW/+R/+RW drive.
>
> moncho


I agree----it seems like one of the more obvious things that I /didn't/
do when I bought my 8300. So I'll live with + for a while and see if I
eventually need to change to a +- later. But if you're buying now, punt
the dell + and buy your own +-.



--
Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 9:51:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

moncho wrote:
> "Markus" <ma@online.de> wrote in message
> news:o pr8y2g3xpkb9lad@dgnt.proses.local...
>
>>I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk, DVD+R/RW,
>>512 MB RAM.
>
>
> Scrape the DVD+R/RW and save what money you can. Then purchase
> a DVD-R/RW/+R/+RW drive.

Sounds like good advice to me, I'll 2nd Moncho's recommendation.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 7:34:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> What do you mean by "cope?"

Well, I read test reports in computer magazines and I know some boards
e.g. Asus et.al.

Dell seems to build own boards at least some hardware test-progs state
Dell as manufacturer. Maybe the boards are produced for Dell. I've no clue
to compare these boards with?
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 7:34:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:

>> What do you mean by "cope?"

>Well, I read test reports in computer magazines and I know some boards
>e.g. Asus et.al.
>
>Dell seems to build own boards at least some hardware test-progs state
>Dell as manufacturer. Maybe the boards are produced for Dell. I've no clue
>to compare these boards with?

They are built to Dell's specifications. Differences are pretty
much on peripheral things, connections to front USB/audio panel,
and the power setup /used/ to be proprietary, IIRC. You can look
up the board specs for a given Dell model on the web site. I
have never worried about specific motherboard comparisons, since
my computing is pretty much plain vanilla, and insensitive to
what Intel chipset is on the board.

But that /was/ the point of my post, getting you to state what
things you wanted to know. Is there a specific requirement
peculiar to the motherboard that any computer you buy has to
meet? That is not set out in the board specs available on the
Dell web site?
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 9:22:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Dell uses Intel-branded and -designed motherboards with a relatively special
Dell BIOS which identifies itself with Dell being the manufacturer. As to who
manufactures the Intel-branded boards now? Not Intel, but probably Foxconn, the
same company which manufactures the Dell cases.

For a long time it has been customary in the industry for a name-brand company
to use motherboards manufactured by a motherboard manufacturer. After all, with
the expertise needed to design and manufacture a mobo, why would a company
duplicate all the design, engineering and test resources, both people and
physical plant.

Also for a long time, Dell has insisted on a BIOS with a special Dell
look-and-feel. IBM has done the same almost forever. Gateway, HP and eMachines
(ugh!) all use a pretty standard generic BIOS from the board manufacturer, with
a custom splash screen graphic and a BIOS identifier code identifying the board
as made for a specific name brand... Ben Myers

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:34:25 +0200, Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:

>> What do you mean by "cope?"
>
>Well, I read test reports in computer magazines and I know some boards
>e.g. Asus et.al.
>
>Dell seems to build own boards at least some hardware test-progs state
>Dell as manufacturer. Maybe the boards are produced for Dell. I've no clue
>to compare these boards with?
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 2:49:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> things you wanted to know. Is there a specific requirement
> peculiar to the motherboard that any computer you buy has to

Well, the main task I use my computer for is rendering DVD Videos to SVCD
using Cinemacraft or TMPEgenc. The CPU and memory throughput are the most
important things for that, I guess.

At second place I use it for muxing/demuxing/editing of mpeg and avi
videofiles.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 3:21:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:

>> things you wanted to know. Is there a specific requirement
>> peculiar to the motherboard that any computer you buy has to

>Well, the main task I use my computer for is rendering DVD Videos to SVCD
>using Cinemacraft or TMPEgenc. The CPU and memory throughput are the most
>important things for that, I guess.
>
>At second place I use it for muxing/demuxing/editing of mpeg and avi
>videofiles.

Ooooookkkkkkaaaaaayyyyyyy. I'll just bow out right now, since I
don't do any of that. ;->

Except to say that there are those here who do, and who have
found the 8300s quite satisfactory for tasks like that.

You'll probably want to take it up to 1MB after delivery
[crucial.com et al will be less cost than getting it from Dell],
and might want to consider also buying your DVD burner
after-market. From what I have read in this news group, people
seem to have more complaints with the DVD+R/RW format than the
DVD-R/RW format, and Dell is locked into the DVD+ side.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
June 7, 2004 3:21:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 11:21:07 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
<oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:
>
>>> things you wanted to know. Is there a specific requirement
>>> peculiar to the motherboard that any computer you buy has to
>
>>Well, the main task I use my computer for is rendering DVD Videos to SVCD
>>using Cinemacraft or TMPEgenc. The CPU and memory throughput are the most
>>important things for that, I guess.
>>
>>At second place I use it for muxing/demuxing/editing of mpeg and avi
>>videofiles.
>
>Ooooookkkkkkaaaaaayyyyyyy. I'll just bow out right now, since I
>don't do any of that. ;->
>
>Except to say that there are those here who do, and who have
>found the 8300s quite satisfactory for tasks like that.
>
>You'll probably want to take it up to 1MB after delivery

One whole meg? Really? That much? But...but...but... Didn't Bill Gates
say that 640K should be enough for anyone?

(Okay, I'll stop being a smartass now. Obvious typo on your part. I
use an 8300 with a gig o'ram with no prob.)

>[crucial.com et al will be less cost than getting it from Dell],
>and might want to consider also buying your DVD burner
>after-market. From what I have read in this news group, people
>seem to have more complaints with the DVD+R/RW format than the
>DVD-R/RW format, and Dell is locked into the DVD+ side.


_________________________________________

"We're still flying."
----- Joss Whedon, June 3rd 2004

_________________________________________
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 3:55:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Avatar <avatar@donoteventhinkaboutit.com> wrote:

>Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>You'll probably want to take it up to 1MB after delivery
>
>One whole meg? Really? That much? But...but...but... Didn't Bill Gates
>say that 640K should be enough for anyone?
>
>(Okay, I'll stop being a smartass now. Obvious typo on your part. I
>use an 8300 with a gig o'ram with no prob.)

Hey, gimme a break! Late start today, and I'm not even on my
second cup of caffeine yet.

512MB has done fine by me, but then I don't do all the fancy
stuff our friend Markus wants to do with his computer. ;->
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
June 7, 2004 6:11:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:37:31 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Ogden Johnson
III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:
>
>>I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk, DVD+R/RW,
>>512 MB RAM.
>>
>>What about performance of current Dell PCs? Can the cope with other
>>manufacturers?
>
>Assuming you meant that to read "Can *they* cope with other
>manufacturers?", two questions.
>
>What do you mean by "cope?"

Ogden,

Rereading the posts in this thread, I think he meant "Can they COMPETE with
other manufacturers"; i.e., is their performance comparable to other brands.

That may clarify the discussion a bit.

(I don't think English is Markus' native language, but he certainly does
very well with it; far better than I can do with any other language. :)  )

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 6:11:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Nick <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote:

>Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:

>>>I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk, DVD+R/RW,
>>>512 MB RAM.
>>>
>>>What about performance of current Dell PCs? Can the cope with other
>>>manufacturers?

>>Assuming you meant that to read "Can *they* cope with other
>>manufacturers?", two questions.
>>
>>What do you mean by "cope?"

>Rereading the posts in this thread, I think he meant "Can they COMPETE with
>other manufacturers"; i.e., is their performance comparable to other brands.
>
>That may clarify the discussion a bit.
>
>(I don't think English is Markus' native language, but he certainly does
>very well with it; far better than I can do with any other language. :)  )

Indeed, and I was trying to elicit what he wanted to do with the
8300. Which he has answered, as you have probably seen by now.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 8:45:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Markus <ma@online.de> coughed up the following:

>> things you wanted to know. Is there a specific requirement
>> peculiar to the motherboard that any computer you buy has to
>
> Well, the main task I use my computer for is rendering DVD Videos to
> SVCD using Cinemacraft or TMPEgenc. The CPU and memory throughput are
> the most important things for that, I guess.

I'm guessing that PCI bandwidth (PCI-E, PCI-X) is gonna matter a lot
too.


>
> At second place I use it for muxing/demuxing/editing of mpeg and avi
> videofiles.

--
Onedoctortoanother:"Ifthisismyrectalthermometer,wherethehell'smypen???"
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 9:09:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> coughed up the following:

> Avatar <avatar@donoteventhinkaboutit.com> wrote:
>
>> Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> You'll probably want to take it up to 1MB after delivery
>>
>> One whole meg? Really? That much? But...but...but... Didn't Bill
>> Gates say that 640K should be enough for anyone?
>>
>> (Okay, I'll stop being a smartass now. Obvious typo on your part. I
>> use an 8300 with a gig o'ram with no prob.)
>
> Hey, gimme a break! Late start today, and I'm not even on my
> second cup of caffeine yet.
>
> 512MB has done fine by me, but then I don't do all the fancy
> stuff our friend Markus wants to do with his computer. ;->


Me too, and I'm glad you mentioned that number.

As a software engineer, I'm well aware of what causes demand-paging.
Well, it's demand.

I've been head to head with people saying over and over without regard
to the actual /usage/ of the machine that (paraphrase):

"Geez, if you really want a machine that screams, then why
did you order only 1 GB when you could have ordered 2 ???"

Basically, I often run the following concurrently in a mere 512MB, and
they're modest to fair heavy hitters in the memory category, but not
astronomical like video editing can be:

WinXP
Word 2000
Outlook
Outlook Express
Trillian
Eclipse (OI, this is one java IDE one that gobbles memory like
candy).

And I have yet to page as near as I can tell, and I watch it
continually.

Thomas

....[thwack]...


--
Onedoctortoanother:"Ifthisismyrectalthermometer,wherethehell'smypen???"
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 9:14:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Nick <tanstaafl@pobox.com> coughed up the following:

> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:37:31 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Ogden
> Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Markus <ma@online.de> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm considering to buy a Dell Dimension 8300, 120GB S-ATA Disk,
>>> DVD+R/RW, 512 MB RAM.
>>>
>>> What about performance of current Dell PCs? Can the cope with other
>>> manufacturers?
>>
>> Assuming you meant that to read "Can *they* cope with other
>> manufacturers?", two questions.
>>
>> What do you mean by "cope?"
>
> Ogden,
>
> Rereading the posts in this thread, I think he meant "Can they
> COMPETE with other manufacturers"; i.e., is their performance
> comparable to other brands.
>
> That may clarify the discussion a bit.
>
> (I don't think English is Markus' native language, but he certainly
> does very well with it; far better than I can do with any other
> language. :)  )


FWIW, English /is/ my native language, my /only/ language, and most
foreigners I know are better at it than I.

--
Onedoctortoanother:"Ifthisismyrectalthermometer,wherethehell'smypen???"
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 4:17:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi folks,

(misplaced my last posting ...)

thanks a lot for your patience.

Indeed, english is not my native language, I'm german (but I try to
improve and getting better...)


To be honest, I'm satisfied with the performance of my 8600 but as someone
already stated Dell is stuck in DVD+R/RW burner.

I flashed the NEC 2100AD with Dangerous Brothers' patched version of the
2500AD ...
!