P4 800FSB vs P4M and PM for laptops

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Alright, I have been hearing different versions of the differance between these processors and all of them contradict each other, I need to know the truth.

In a laptop what are the differances in these cpus

Pentium 4-M: runs ~50% slower then the Pentium M and eats up battery life much faster.
Pentium M: Runs 50% faster than Pentium 4-M Proccessors and has a much longer battery life

Pentium 4 800FSB: Problem
The problem is that I have been told that the new Pentium 4 800fsb cpus with hyper threading. Have the same technology as the Pentium Ms thus there is no perfomance differance and the battery life is pretty much the same. But the clock speeds are much higher and thus I should buy them instead as they are a p4 800fsb 2.8 is about $100 more than a 1.6 Pentium M.
So whats the truth?
Thanks

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
You have been told wrong. P4 800 MHz FSB and Mobile P4 are based on same architechture. P-M is a completely different architecture (improved version of P2/P3 architecture).

I can give you a quick idea how P-M and P4s compare in performance.

P-M 1.6 GHz = P4 2.4B GHz (533 MHz FSB)
P-M 1.7 GHz = P4 2.4C GHz (800 MHz FSB)

P4 2.8C (800 MHz FSB) is somewhat faster than P-M 1.6 GHz, but not that much. OTOH, you can use faster 7200 rpm drives in desktop, which can give P4C system extra advantage over P-M based laptops in HDD access intensive apps

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
The problem is that I have been told that the new Pentium 4 800fsb cpus with hyper threading. Have the same technology as the Pentium Ms thus there is no perfomance differance and the battery life is pretty much the same.
If that's what the guy at Dell has said to you, then that's an important enough reason for me to stay as far away from these guys as possible. By saying this they clearly show that they are either ignorant about computers, or they simply only care selling their products, even if that involves lying now and then to customers!

Anyway, don't make things too much complicated because they are not! P-M is a whole different architecture than any P4 CPU. In general it is valid to say that a P-M performs equally to a 50% higher clocked P4-M. And finally, P-M HAS a much better battery life. On the other hand if you take a laptop using a 3.0GHz P4-M CPU and put in a 10lbs battery then it will of course have the same battery life as a P-M notebook that of course weighs less than 5lbs, and that's talking about the whole laptop.

If you care about size, weight, heat, battery life .. go for the P-M. If you only care about performance and want the best that's out there, go for a P4.