Gateway Screwed Me UP

September 13, 2005 7:25:01 PM

A couple of weeks ago my computer was have a problem recognizing a Roxio CD
Creator Program. I could not get the program to read my drive letter (D:) .
So I called Gateway Tech Support (a paid service) and they had me delete the
Roxio program and reintall windows XP from the apllication CD that
accompanied the computer when purchased. In installed windows, but now I
have two start up operating systems: Windows and Winnt. I have deleted the
winnt, because it only runs another setup and stops when I can not supply a
password to proceed. The windows start up opens correctly, but when I log on
it starts and then the screen resets itself three times before stopping.
What does that?

Not to mention having lost all my files (My Docs, etc.,etc.) I had to reload
most of the programs I had on the machine. The display is not the same - I
used to be able to set resolution size just by sliding the button - now I
have to force it. Colors used to be many, now I am limited 16 & 32 bit. I am
confused and ready to throw this Gateway in the garbage. Can any one help me
understand?

More about : gateway screwed

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:52:53 PM

You were given bad/incompetent advice. ANYTIME you call tech support
and are told to either Uninstall or Re-install, ask to be elevated to the
next tier
support. This sad/unfortunate episode happens literally thousands of times
daily.
I speak almost everyday to someone who just finished a call to one of these
tech support "Out-Houses" and comes away mad. You've either overwritten
or created a secondary copy of Windows. Without knowing your original XP
setup it's hard to know which copy you've disabled. At this stage you
probably
have little choice but to continue setting up and configuring the XP
instance
that is running. For future issues, such as you described you should try to
use
System Restore which reverts a PC to it's condition from previous days.

"Pat Jones" <Pat Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A couple of weeks ago my computer was have a problem recognizing a Roxio CD
> Creator Program. I could not get the program to read my drive letter
> (D:) .
> So I called Gateway Tech Support (a paid service) and they had me delete
> the
> Roxio program and reintall windows XP from the apllication CD that
> accompanied the computer when purchased. In installed windows, but now I
> have two start up operating systems: Windows and Winnt. I have deleted
> the
> winnt, because it only runs another setup and stops when I can not supply
> password to proceed. The windows start up opens correctly, but when I log
> on
> it starts and then the screen resets itself three times before stopping.
> What does that?
>
> Not to mention having lost all my files (My Docs, etc.,etc.) I had to
> reload
> most of the programs I had on the machine. The display is not the same -
> used to be able to set resolution size just by sliding the button - now I
> have to force it. Colors used to be many, now I am limited 16 & 32 bit. I
> am
> confused and ready to throw this Gateway in the garbage. Can any one help
> me
> understand?
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 7:36:24 AM

Pat Jones Wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago my computer was have a problem recognizing a Roxio
> CD
> Creator Program. I could not get the program to read my drive letter
> (D:) .
> So I called Gateway Tech Support (a paid service) and they had me
> delete the
> Roxio program and reintall windows XP from the apllication CD that
> accompanied the computer when purchased. In installed windows, but now
> have two start up operating systems: Windows and Winnt. I have deleted
> the
> winnt, because it only runs another setup and stops when I can not
> supply a
> password to proceed. The windows start up opens correctly, but when I
> log on
> it starts and then the screen resets itself three times before
> stopping.
> What does that?
>
> Not to mention having lost all my files (My Docs, etc.,etc.) I had to
> reload
> most of the programs I had on the machine. The display is not the same
> - I
> used to be able to set resolution size just by sliding the button - now
> have to force it. Colors used to be many, now I am limited 16 & 32
> bit. I am
> confused and ready to throw this Gateway in the garbage. Can any one
> help me
> understand?

In my opinion, you should just start all over again and do a CLEAN
install. You will probably have to reinstall most of of your drivers
again and if you don't have the CD's for it, look for them online. Hope
you now know that you should never completely trust a tech support when
they tell you to reinstall your OS.

--
Evolution54
September 14, 2005 12:30:23 PM

Did reinstall CD asked you to format hard drive?
If it didn't you shouldn't loose any of your documents.
They will be under your old profile, unless you deleted your old profile.
Reinstalling windows on top of old one creates new profile and it will look
like you lost your "My documents" folder.
Open explorer and look under C:\Documents and Settings and check every
folder for My documents.
Once you locate them, back it up, and reinstall windows from scratch (means
format hard drive)

"Pat Jones" <Pat Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A couple of weeks ago my computer was have a problem recognizing a Roxio
CD
> Creator Program. I could not get the program to read my drive letter
(D:) .
> So I called Gateway Tech Support (a paid service) and they had me delete
the
> Roxio program and reintall windows XP from the apllication CD that
> accompanied the computer when purchased. In installed windows, but now I
> have two start up operating systems: Windows and Winnt. I have deleted
the
> winnt, because it only runs another setup and stops when I can not supply
> password to proceed. The windows start up opens correctly, but when I log
on
> it starts and then the screen resets itself three times before stopping.
> What does that?
>
> Not to mention having lost all my files (My Docs, etc.,etc.) I had to
reload
> most of the programs I had on the machine. The display is not the same -
> used to be able to set resolution size just by sliding the button - now I
> have to force it. Colors used to be many, now I am limited 16 & 32 bit. I
am
> confused and ready to throw this Gateway in the garbage. Can any one help
me
> understand?
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 7:10:02 PM

I found the folder in Windows Explorer under documents and setting;however,
when I click on it I get a message that tells me "The folder is not
accessible. Access Is Denied".

I appreciate the attempt to help and thank you. Any other ideas?

"zibby" wrote:

> Did reinstall CD asked you to format hard drive?
> If it didn't you shouldn't loose any of your documents.
> They will be under your old profile, unless you deleted your old profile.
> Reinstalling windows on top of old one creates new profile and it will look
> like you lost your "My documents" folder.
> Open explorer and look under C:\Documents and Settings and check every
> folder for My documents.
> Once you locate them, back it up, and reinstall windows from scratch (means
> format hard drive)
>

> "Pat Jones" <Pat Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > A couple of weeks ago my computer was have a problem recognizing a Roxio
> CD
> > Creator Program. I could not get the program to read my drive letter
> (D:) .
> > So I called Gateway Tech Support (a paid service) and they had me delete
> the
> > Roxio program and reintall windows XP from the apllication CD that
> > accompanied the computer when purchased. In installed windows, but now I
> > have two start up operating systems: Windows and Winnt. I have deleted
> the
> > winnt, because it only runs another setup and stops when I can not supply
> > password to proceed. The windows start up opens correctly, but when I log
> on
> > it starts and then the screen resets itself three times before stopping.
> > What does that?
> >
> > Not to mention having lost all my files (My Docs, etc.,etc.) I had to
> reload
> > most of the programs I had on the machine. The display is not the same -
> > used to be able to set resolution size just by sliding the button - now I
> > have to force it. Colors used to be many, now I am limited 16 & 32 bit. I
> am
> > confused and ready to throw this Gateway in the garbage. Can any one help
> me
> > understand?

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 8:16:11 PM

Take Ownership, #9 on this page:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

>I found the folder in Windows Explorer under documents and setting;however,
> when I click on it I get a message that tells me "The folder is not
> accessible. Access Is Denied".
>
> I appreciate the attempt to help and thank you. Any other ideas?
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 11:47:16 AM

Like someone elese said, take ownership of it.

!