Gateway Screwed Me UP

A couple of weeks ago my computer was have a problem recognizing a Roxio CD
Creator Program. I could not get the program to read my drive letter (D:).
So I called Gateway Tech Support (a paid service) and they had me delete the
Roxio program and reintall windows XP from the apllication CD that
accompanied the computer when purchased. In installed windows, but now I
have two start up operating systems: Windows and Winnt. I have deleted the
winnt, because it only runs another setup and stops when I can not supply a
password to proceed. The windows start up opens correctly, but when I log on
it starts and then the screen resets itself three times before stopping.
What does that?

Not to mention having lost all my files (My Docs, etc.,etc.) I had to reload
most of the programs I had on the machine. The display is not the same - I
used to be able to set resolution size just by sliding the button - now I
have to force it. Colors used to be many, now I am limited 16 & 32 bit. I am
confused and ready to throw this Gateway in the garbage. Can any one help me
understand?
6 answers Last reply
More about gateway screwed

    You were given bad/incompetent advice. ANYTIME you call tech support
    and are told to either Uninstall or Re-install, ask to be elevated to the
    next tier
    support. This sad/unfortunate episode happens literally thousands of times
    daily.
    I speak almost everyday to someone who just finished a call to one of these
    tech support "Out-Houses" and comes away mad. You've either overwritten
    or created a secondary copy of Windows. Without knowing your original XP
    setup it's hard to know which copy you've disabled. At this stage you
    probably
    have little choice but to continue setting up and configuring the XP
    instance
    that is running. For future issues, such as you described you should try to
    use
    System Restore which reverts a PC to it's condition from previous days.

    Pat Jones Wrote:
    > A couple of weeks ago my computer was have a problem recognizing a Roxio
    > CD
    > Creator Program. I could not get the program to read my drive letter
    > (D:).
    > So I called Gateway Tech Support (a paid service) and they had me
    > delete the
    > Roxio program and reintall windows XP from the apllication CD that
    > accompanied the computer when purchased. In installed windows, but now
    > have two start up operating systems: Windows and Winnt. I have deleted
    > the
    > winnt, because it only runs another setup and stops when I can not
    > supply a
    > password to proceed. The windows start up opens correctly, but when I
    > log on
    > it starts and then the screen resets itself three times before
    > stopping.
    > What does that?
    >
    > Not to mention having lost all my files (My Docs, etc.,etc.) I had to
    > reload
    > most of the programs I had on the machine. The display is not the same
    > - I
    > used to be able to set resolution size just by sliding the button - now
    > have to force it. Colors used to be many, now I am limited 16 & 32
    > bit. I am
    > confused and ready to throw this Gateway in the garbage. Can any one
    > help me
    > understand?

    In my opinion, you should just start all over again and do a CLEAN
    install. You will probably have to reinstall most of of your drivers
    again and if you don't have the CD's for it, look for them online. Hope
    you now know that you should never completely trust a tech support when
    they tell you to reinstall your OS.

    --
    Evolution54

    Did reinstall CD asked you to format hard drive?
    If it didn't you shouldn't loose any of your documents.
    They will be under your old profile, unless you deleted your old profile.
    Reinstalling windows on top of old one creates new profile and it will look
    like you lost your "My documents" folder.
    Open explorer and look under C:\Documents and Settings and check every
    folder for My documents.
    Once you locate them, back it up, and reinstall windows from scratch (means
    format hard drive)

    "Pat Jones" <Pat Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > A couple of weeks ago my computer was have a problem recognizing a Roxio
    CD
    > Creator Program. I could not get the program to read my drive letter
    (D:).
    > So I called Gateway Tech Support (a paid service) and they had me delete
    the
    > Roxio program and reintall windows XP from the apllication CD that
    > accompanied the computer when purchased. In installed windows, but now I
    > have two start up operating systems: Windows and Winnt. I have deleted
    the
    > winnt, because it only runs another setup and stops when I can not supply
    > password to proceed. The windows start up opens correctly, but when I log
    on
    > it starts and then the screen resets itself three times before stopping.
    > What does that?
    >
    > Not to mention having lost all my files (My Docs, etc.,etc.) I had to
    reload
    > most of the programs I had on the machine. The display is not the same -
    > used to be able to set resolution size just by sliding the button - now I
    > have to force it. Colors used to be many, now I am limited 16 & 32 bit. I
    am
    > confused and ready to throw this Gateway in the garbage. Can any one help
    me
    > understand?

    I found the folder in Windows Explorer under documents and setting;however,
    when I click on it I get a message that tells me "The folder is not
    accessible. Access Is Denied".

    I appreciate the attempt to help and thank you. Any other ideas?

    "zibby" wrote:

    > Did reinstall CD asked you to format hard drive?
    > If it didn't you shouldn't loose any of your documents.
    > They will be under your old profile, unless you deleted your old profile.
    > Reinstalling windows on top of old one creates new profile and it will look
    > like you lost your "My documents" folder.
    > Open explorer and look under C:\Documents and Settings and check every
    > folder for My documents.
    > Once you locate them, back it up, and reinstall windows from scratch (means
    > format hard drive)
    >

    > "Pat Jones" <Pat Jones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > A couple of weeks ago my computer was have a problem recognizing a Roxio
    > CD
    > > Creator Program. I could not get the program to read my drive letter
    > (D:).
    > > So I called Gateway Tech Support (a paid service) and they had me delete
    > the
    > > Roxio program and reintall windows XP from the apllication CD that
    > > accompanied the computer when purchased. In installed windows, but now I
    > > have two start up operating systems: Windows and Winnt. I have deleted
    > the
    > > winnt, because it only runs another setup and stops when I can not supply
    > > password to proceed. The windows start up opens correctly, but when I log
    > on
    > > it starts and then the screen resets itself three times before stopping.
    > > What does that?
    > >
    > > Not to mention having lost all my files (My Docs, etc.,etc.) I had to
    > reload
    > > most of the programs I had on the machine. The display is not the same -
    > > used to be able to set resolution size just by sliding the button - now I
    > > have to force it. Colors used to be many, now I am limited 16 & 32 bit. I
    > am
    > > confused and ready to throw this Gateway in the garbage. Can any one help
    > me
    > > understand?

    Take Ownership, #9 on this page:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    >I found the folder in Windows Explorer under documents and setting;however,
    > when I click on it I get a message that tells me "The folder is not
    > accessible. Access Is Denied".
    >
    > I appreciate the attempt to help and thank you. Any other ideas?

    Like someone elese said, take ownership of it.

Gateway Windows XP