Using existing hard drive

Earnwald

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2004
Have a question for you guys. I am upgrading to a power PC from my 5 year old Pentium II 400. I plan on buying a Pentium IV 3 gig, new Asus motherboard, new ram, new graphics card, and new case but I want to use my existing two year old, 40 gig hard drive. Is there a way to use this hard drive with its existing load with the new computer so I don’t have to reload all my software? My current OS is Windows 98. Thanks in advance.

endyen

Splendid
Before you turnoff the P11 for the last time, go into device manager and uninstall everything. Then when you start the new system,you will have to load all the new drivers. It would be a good idea to load the mobo cd onto your hdd, as when you restart, you may not have the cd player working. ( no ide driver)

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Please check back with the HDD forum thread you started as well. I have linked you to the information you will need to do this process.

Xeon

<font color=orange>Scratch Here To Reveal Prize</font color=orange>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Under 98 it's not too dificult. First copy the chipset drivers to your hard drive from the CD. Also copy the Win98 directory from your CD to C: Then go into safe mode and remove everything from device manager. Now switch the parts.

The best thing to do next is reinstall 98 over your old installation, that will configure stuff for you so you don't get redundant devices, and won't harm any of your data. To do this, I suggest you start (with your new parts in place) to "Command Prompt Only" using the F8 key just before boot. In DOS mode cd c:\win98, setup. Then install the chipset drivers from the place you stored them, so you can get use of your CD-ROM back.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>