Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Converting windows 7 64 bit to 32 bit

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
November 26, 2012 4:23:18 PM

I have a system that is running on Window 7 64 bit operating system. I want to change to the 32 bit version. What do I do?
November 26, 2012 4:25:08 PM

Reinstall with WIN 7 32 bit.
m
0
l
a c 413 $ Windows 7
November 26, 2012 4:25:10 PM

You need to do a clean install.Most 32 bit software will still run on 64 bit OS.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 26, 2012 5:44:22 PM

Why would anyone want to change 64 bit to 32 bit?
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 5:46:34 PM

Knwosu said:
I have a system that is running on Window 7 64 bit operating system. I want to change to the 32 bit version. What do I do?


To answer your question, you would need to format your HDD and perform a clean install of Win 7 32-bit like has already been said.

The question of the day is: Why do you want to revert back to 32-bit?

m
0
l
November 26, 2012 5:51:58 PM

Per Microsoft you can not upgrade or downgrade a system form 32bit to 64bit or 64bit to 32bit. You will have to get a Windows 7 32bit version and do a clean install.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 26, 2012 7:03:28 PM

littleleo said:
Per Microsoft you can not upgrade or downgrade a system form 32bit to 64bit or 64bit to 32bit. You will have to get a Windows 7 32bit version and do a clean install.


Not exactly.^

You can freely change to/from 32 and 64 bit versions of windows without needing to buy a new license.

What they mean is that you need to do a clean install, not an upgrade install that preserves your apps.

To do this, you need a windows dvd of the appropriate 32/64 bit version to do a clean install.
You can borrow the dvd to make the change if you do not have one.
The activation code will be the same as the original 64 bit install.

One reason for 32 bit:
I have changed a laptop from 64 bit to 32 bit for the express purpose of being able to play civilization 2.42 while travelling
old 16 bit programs run on 32 bit windows but not 64 bit.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 26, 2012 8:08:23 PM

geofelt said:
Not exactly.^

You can freely change to/from 32 and 64 bit versions of windows without needing to buy a new license.

What they mean is that you need to do a clean install, not an upgrade install that preserves your apps.

To do this, you need a windows dvd of the appropriate 32/64 bit version to do a clean install.
You can borrow the dvd to make the change if you do not have one.
The activation code will be the same as the original 64 bit install.

One reason for 32 bit:
I have changed a laptop from 64 bit to 32 bit for the express purpose of being able to play civilization 2.42 while travelling
old 16 bit programs run on 32 bit windows but not 64 bit.



Hi :) 

You can only do what you did LEGALLY if you have a RETAIL VERSION OF 7 which comes with BOTH 32 and 64 bit discs....

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
!