the great transition

Okay; I've got to confirm some important things about migrating from my old
Dell XPS-T to my pending new 8400.

I'm using a crossover cable to transfer essential files (My Documents,
music, etc.) over to my new computer, and will then be reformatting the hard
drive of the XPS-T.

However, the XPS-T runs an upgrade version of Windows XP professional, so
the only way to fully and successfully reformat would be to use the full XP
Pro CD in the 8400's package, and figure out a way around the activation
process so I can use it "for real" on the 8400 later if I need to. There is
this program called Reset which is supposed to bypass the activation and
allow for a reformat without binding that CD to the computer it's installing
on. Anyone who knows the program's claims to be false should let know right
away.

Once essential files have been transferred, the XPS-T's hard drive has been
reformatted, and basic programs deleted during the format have been
reinstalled, I'm going to give the XPS-T away to my father, who already has
an old IBM Aptiva with a 2.5 GB hard drive. He's going to remove that hard
drive and install it as a slave in the XPS-T so that his current stored
documents won't be lost.

There is no particular magic to the Dell Windows XP CD other than it
bypasses activation when installed on an appropriate Dell computer.

You can use it to do a fresh install on your XPS-T, using the activation
code with the upgrade XP Pro you previously purchased. FWIW, you will
never need to use the activation code that comes with your new system on
your new system if the CD is only used for fresh installs booting
directly from the CD. In any case, the CD is not bound in any way to the
computer it is installing on -- I used my Dell XP Pro with SP1 CD which
came with my Optiplex GX60 to do a fresh install on my Dimension 8300
so as to avoid the separate SP1 install and had absolutely no problems
(nor was the activation code required).