Sign in with
Your question

Which OP Sys

Last response: in Windows XP
October 6, 2002 3:53:33 PM

Hi,
Building another comp for gaming. Looking to get opinions on whether to use Win 98 or Win XP Pro SP1. Going high end on this one so I really want to get the right OS. Thanks!!
Jack

More about : sys

October 6, 2002 4:59:14 PM

There have been tons of threads and even some (weak) articles on the subject.

First off, you probably mean 98se right?

Get WinXP Pro SP1. If you value stability and don't mind a FPS less in certain games, and a FPS more in certain games, it's the OS to use.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>
October 6, 2002 5:36:13 PM

Yes, 98SE. Some say this is still the best to use while others go for XP. I do know my Sidewinder will only work with 98 =:(  Are you using XP?
Jack
Related resources
October 7, 2002 3:08:43 AM

Go for a duel boot system - XP & 98SE.[partition tool on Windows CD at install]. A lot of games and other software two years and older run better and only on 98. Don't worry about driver support for 98, as WinME drivers run OK on 98 and will be available for years. [re:Toms Hardware article, OS Comparison - On Which Operating System Do Games Run Best?]
October 7, 2002 3:15:26 AM

duel? they fight it out eh?

:smile:

Just go for XP. It works.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
October 7, 2002 6:10:44 AM

I use it. Over a year now.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>
!