4600 boot up time

larrry

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2004

new 4600 takes about 4 minutes to completly boot up. Do you think its caused
by some of Dells support type software that was installed by Dell? It did
this right out of box b-4 any new software or anti virus was installed.
Help please.

Larry

The first time you turn on your computer, the factory download has to set
itself up, and that takes several minutes. After that, bootup takes about 30
seconds until you start installing software and making other changes to your
system.

If you have not protected your computer adequately, it can take a mere
second from the time you first connect to the Internet for your system to
become infected with a virus or spyware. That is what I suspect is your
problem. Dell's diagnostic software does not start with Wimdows.

Rocky

"Larrry" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> new 4600 takes about 4 minutes to completly boot up. Do you think its
caused
> by some of Dells support type software that was installed by Dell? It did
> this right out of box b-4 any new software or anti virus was installed.
> Help please.
>
> Larry

jdc

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 03:31:32 GMT, "Larrry" <2roo@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>new 4600 takes about 4 minutes to completly boot up. Do you think its caused
>by some of Dells support type software that was installed by Dell? It did
>this right out of box b-4 any new software or anti virus was installed.
>Help please.
>
>Larry

You say before any software or anti-virus was installed. Did you
install an anti-virus program in addition to the one that came
pre-loaded on your 4600? In other words, do you have two anti-virus
programs running at once? If so, you need to uninstall one of them
right away. You also need to verify that it's really gone by looking
in msconfig startup and checking the processes in task manager.

Robert

Shouldn't be like that. My son's 4600 with XP Pro is fully booted in under
30 seconds.
However I installed most security updates & installed antivirus with current
definitions before it even looked at the web.
Its internet connecion also goes via internet sharing & that PC runs a
firewall.
It also gets adaware and spybot search & destroy run very regularly.