I have a problem with an .avi file, I think it may have a virus. Here
goes...

It was downloaded from an unknow site. While kept in a folder (A) within 'My
Documents' folder it greatly slowed any operations whenever I opened folder
A to view its contents.

This .avi file will not delete and can't be moved, comes up with a message -
"Cannot delete '.avi file': It is being used by another person or program.
Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." This message
comes up even when no programs are opened, its a stand alone home pc so no
other users.

I stupidly copied (it copies OK) it onto my Desktop. Now it slows the
computer down all the time where it used to only slow the computer when I
opened the folder that contained the .avi file. What I've done is created a
duplicate of a problem. Its now in two locations and I can't delete it from
either the folder or the Desktop.

Please help/advice to permanently delete this .avi file.

Thanks!

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Bennos wrote:
> I have a problem with an .avi file, I think it may have a virus. Here
> goes...
>
> It was downloaded from an unknow site. While kept in a folder (A) within 'My
> Documents' folder it greatly slowed any operations whenever I opened folder
> A to view its contents.
>
> This .avi file will not delete and can't be moved, comes up with a message -
> "Cannot delete '.avi file': It is being used by another person or program.
> Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." This message
> comes up even when no programs are opened, its a stand alone home pc so no
> other users.
>
> I stupidly copied (it copies OK) it onto my Desktop. Now it slows the
> computer down all the time where it used to only slow the computer when I
> opened the folder that contained the .avi file. What I've done is created a
> duplicate of a problem. Its now in two locations and I can't delete it from
> either the folder or the Desktop.
>
> Please help/advice to permanently delete this .avi file.
>
> Thanks!

I've had this problem.

You need to hit CTRL ALT and DEL and in processes end the process
EXPLORER. Click on the Applications tab and in new task type EXPLORER
(This restarts the explorer shell).

You then can delete both files.

--
MCR