XP 2400 showing as 1800

Carnivore

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2004
I did a serch and couldn't find a post on this, even thoug I am sure it is around here someswhere. ANyhow...IM building a box, and when I boot the XP 2400 shows as an 1800....is there an adjustment I need ot do in the BIOS to get this squared?

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
It's easy, force "manual settings" instead of "automatic" in your BIOS, you will have more options to change FSB speed and other stuff.

By the way, what is your Motherboard model and revision?

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

Carnivore

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2004
Getting irritated now. This is my backup box so I bought a cheap MB?CPU combo. The MB is an ECS K7VTA3. No wwher ein teh BIOS can I find something that lets me "force manula setting." The only thinng I can find relavent to teh CPU is under "Frequency/Volatge Control." I can change the CPU CLock from 100-132MHZ. But if i run ti up to 132 I get a blank screen on reboot. I don't think that actually has anythingt o do with the FSB....getting irritating!

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
OK... Don't panic, I will help you!

What is the revision of your MB, it is probably written on directly on the MB or on a sticker on it. There is bunch of version of it, check there :
<A HREF="http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/dw_list.asp?submenu_id=26&function_id=4" target="_new">http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/dw_list.asp?submenu_id=26&function_id=4</A>

When you know you MB Revision number, get the newest BIOS for it. Then, we will continue to troubleshoot... :smile:

Another interesting link for you :
<A HREF="http://www.ecs.com.tw/support/techcpu/athlonxp.htm" target="_new">http://www.ecs.com.tw/support/techcpu/athlonxp.htm</A>

--

is there a jumper on the motherboard allowing you to change the FSB? My old Soltek Board had Jumpers for the FSB - perhaps yours has it set to 100? just a thought

I am a small fat ginger kid and I lob cow pats at old people, please be my friend

Carnivore

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2004
Well my bios ver is 6.0. I would assume i need ot upgrade to the 8.0 C? This is my first time building a box..so im kinda dumb on this stuff. I am in the middle of installing teh OS. FIgired get something done vice stare at it.

Having the OS installed will have no impact on updating the BIOS will it?

Shoudl I upgrade it to teh very latest BIOS?

Carnivore

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2004
BAH! Ned hit it on the head. I have to set muy jumpers. I was reading on how to updat ethe BIOS, and it told me to check if the board has an update jumper. Didnt find that, but found a jumper set up to set FSB to 133.

Well if thios doesnt work Ill come back crying in a few.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Having the OS installed will have no impact on updating the BIOS will it?

There is no proble mwith that, when you are done, D/L the latest BIOS and the software tu udate it from the ECS web site. After that, your BIOS will probably detect correctly the Athlon XP 2400+ and/or you will have access to more options in your BIOS to tweak the FSB and CPU multiplier!

Give me some news about it!

--

Carnivore

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2004
Well I did te jumpers and all is well. I am going to update the BIOS eventually. Had a second box to build after I fiunishedteh first. So I got to build my first two boxes ion one day. Life is good.

Now that I have figured out how to build a box, and how to manage the BIOS, it's tiem for me to learn how to OC. Time to burn something up!

Thanks for the help all.

Carnivore

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2004
Yup, it's good to go now. It was just a matter of the jumpers. I guess ECS is doing the jumper= FSB speed on a lot of their boards now. Even their highend boards are coming out set up like that. Wait...is ECS + Highend an oxymoron?