Expected prices? (Socket 939 A64 & Socket 775 P4)

Rosenkavalier

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2004
I'm thinking of building a mid-range system sometime in the next 3-6 months. I know that both Intel and AMD are moving to new socket platforms during that timeframe, but I haven't found anything so far with expected/projected prices on the new format CPUs. I'd expect to look at the lowest end of the new chips.

I guess what I'm trying to determine is if the initial prices will be out of my reach for long enough that I should go ahead and get a value-priced setup to last for the next year or so. Does anyone have info, or can point to some links on pricing? Thanks.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I suppose (but I'm not certain) both intel and AMD will release affordable (say ~$200) s939/s775 chips. But even if they don't, its not worth speculating a lot, since you'll be waiting a few months either way. Just see what is available by then, read some reviews, pick what works for you.

If you want speculation nevertheless, within 3-6 months you will probably be able to pick up a nForce3 250 socket 939 board with a midrange A64 (3000+ or 3200+) and PCI-E. That really can't be bad, but if intel pulls a rabbit out of their hat by then and releases lower power (maybe even 64 bit enabled ?) prescotts by then, well, all the better, you might have more choice :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =