Javascript non functional issue with IE6 in XP

I'm running Win XP pro with all service packs and updates ditto IE6. After
checking several websites with java applets they appear to function fine.

However on some websites where they use javascripts I get no joy.

For example:
On one site (harborfreight) when I click on "order from catalogue" the following
message appears at the bottom of the screen (left lower border) "javascript:
orderFormCat()" and after clicking the link "Done" appears in place of the
javascript. No window opens--no errors--nothing. I have tried this on several
other machines not running XP and the website links work perfectly.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

John

"JTM" <j@j.com> wrote:

>I'm running Win XP pro with all service packs and updates ditto IE6. After
>checking several websites with java applets they appear to function fine.
>
>However on some websites where they use javascripts I get no joy.

Be aware that Javascript and Java are totally different. They have
nothing to do with each other.

>For example:
>On one site (harborfreight) when I click on "order from catalogue" the following
>message appears at the bottom of the screen (left lower border) "javascript:
>orderFormCat()" and after clicking the link "Done" appears in place of the
>javascript. No window opens--no errors--nothing. I have tried this on several
>other machines not running XP and the website links work perfectly.

Tools|Internet Options|Security. Investigate the settings for the zone
that the problem site is in. There's a setting there that allows or
disallows Javascript.

You might also investigate the Firefox browser
(http://www.mozilla.org/firefox)

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

"Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
> "JTM" <j@j.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> .. Investigate the settings for the zone
> that the problem site is in. There's a setting there that allows or
> disallows Javascript.

Thanks for the response. However in:

Internet Explorer 6 Menu Drop Down:\Tools\
\Internet Options\
\Security\ TAB
ZONE \Internet\
CustomLevel BUTTON

I find no occurance of any reference to "javascript" and after placeing the
troublesome website in the trusted zone and checking that virtually all options
are enabled for trusted sites--the javascript still fails to run. In fact all
javascripts on the website fail.

This appears to be a common problem with XP running SP2 and I have found no
comprehensive answers other than the websites need to be rewritten to accomodate
the changes dictated by SP2--not likely to happen anytime soon. See:
http://www.phdcc.com/xpsp2.htm

> You might also investigate the Firefox browser
> (http://www.mozilla.org/firefox)

Sounds like you have come to the same solution I have been contemplating.

Regards,

John