Mike

Splendid

I am trying to set up a scheduled backup of normal files and folders
(including the system state) from a PC using XP Pro to an external backup
drive connected to another computer also using XP Pro on the same workgroup.
The network is working great, so there is no problem there.
When I set up the scheduled backup, it asks me for a password and to confirm
the password. I enter the password for the host computer (this is the only
profile on the PC and it has administrator rights). When I do this, I get a
message that I don't have sufficient permissions to schedule the backup.
I can do the same backup without scheduling it, so why can't I schedule a
backup?

Thanks for your help.

> I am trying to set up a scheduled backup of normal files and folders
> (including the system state) from a PC using XP Pro to an external backup
> drive connected to another computer also using XP Pro on the same
workgroup.
> The network is working great, so there is no problem there.
> When I set up the scheduled backup, it asks me for a password and to
confirm
> the password. I enter the password for the host computer (this is the
only
> profile on the PC and it has administrator rights). When I do this, I get
> message that I don't have sufficient permissions to schedule the backup.
> I can do the same backup without scheduling it, so why can't I schedule a
> backup?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Create an admin account on your own PC that has the same
name/password as the one on the other PC, then use this
account when scheduling the backup task.

Mike

Splendid

I will give that a shot. Do you think it matters which PC gets the new Admin
Account? I thinkthe way I a mreading your suggestion is to set up the admin
account on the PC I am trying to backup "from" with a password that matches
the password of the PC I am trying to backup "to". I sthat correct?

Thanks for your help.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to set up a scheduled backup of normal files and folders
> > (including the system state) from a PC using XP Pro to an external backup
> > drive connected to another computer also using XP Pro on the same
> workgroup.
> > The network is working great, so there is no problem there.
> > When I set up the scheduled backup, it asks me for a password and to
> confirm
> > the password. I enter the password for the host computer (this is the
> only
> > profile on the PC and it has administrator rights). When I do this, I get
> > message that I don't have sufficient permissions to schedule the backup.
> > I can do the same backup without scheduling it, so why can't I schedule a
> > backup?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >

> Create an admin account on your own PC that has the same
> name/password as the one on the other PC, then use this
> account when scheduling the backup task.

I would not use the admin account because its password is likely
to change. Flag things clearly by creating a "backup" account on
both machines, with appropriate access rights.