AMD 64 ??

DukeD

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2004
I'm pretty new to this & need some advise. Am planning a machine that I'm going to construct. Should I go with the 64 bit AMD? Run Win XP Pro. Some have mentioned that, until the next service pack from Microsoft, there may be some troubles with compatability with some software and OS, etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-Duke-

just trying to put a little distance......
..... between causes and effects

Carnecerro

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
I am running a Athlon64 3200+ with an Abit K8V-Max3 board on WinXP Pro. I have noticed no problems with any programs I run (Office, Photoshop, Pinnacle) or any games. (Battlefield 1942 & Vietnam, UT2004, Rise of nations, COD) The chip and board combo is great. I get about 21000 on 3dMark 2001 and 6850 on 3dMark 2003. (9800XT with a gig of Corsair.)

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Some have mentioned that, until the next service pack from Microsoft, there may be some troubles with compatability with some software and OS
Where did you read this? Everyone knows that A64 are rock solid on Windows XP PRO. you maybe talk about the forthcoming Windows XP 64-bit Edition. The beta is out, so it's not a finised product, there is drivers/compatibily and stability issue, but most of them will be corrected when the "official" version will be out (probably in 6 to 12 monts).

You don't have to worry about compatibity/stability. If you buy a GOOD motherboard and get the latest BIOS and drivers for you GPU/Chipset. You will have a ROCK-SOLID machine in your hand.

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?