Sign in with
Your question

Opteron for gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
March 16, 2004 5:48:25 PM

Its about time for me to set aside the old 933mhz clunker and move into the 21st century. Im still probably a couple months away from purchasing anything so im trying to get all the information I can. Im going to have this machine built for me. All my previous machines have been more or less "off the rack" and im finally looking for something where the mfg hasnt cut any corners. I could probably manage to kludge together a machine by myself but frankly id rather have a professional do it.

With this in mind, I havent even been able to decide yet on basically anything. I dont have any particular loyalties (amd v. intel or nvidia v. ati) I just want a machine that performs nicely gaming-wise, but above that it should be stable. Ive heard of some people building machines with an Opteron (sometimes OC'd) and im curious what people think about this. At the same time im not adverse to building something with a p2.8c or an a64 (once the better boards are released)

More about : opteron gaming

March 16, 2004 6:12:54 PM

Opteron = Athlon FX underclocked for stability.

So these processor can be good gaming machine, but you will have to go with higher clock speed models. I don't think Opteron 140 (1.40GHz) will gives you very good performance, they will probably gives you average performance. But, you would have the opportunity to upgrade later.

The other problem with Opteron platform is the memory cost, you must use registered RAM, this RAM cost more than than conventional DDR.

If you can wait a couple of weeks (in the worst case 2-3 months), you will have the opportunity to buy nForce3 250Gb based motherboard. <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam..." target="_new">Read this thread</A>.

And Athlon 64 for socket 939 will be out too! This will be the best time to buy A64 systems.

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?
March 16, 2004 6:26:46 PM

ok pardon my newb-ness but Opterons use similar/the same boards as Athlon64s right?
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
March 16, 2004 7:39:56 PM

Opteron and athlon 64 fx51 use socket 940. Athlon 64 (not fx) uses socket 754.
March 16, 2004 7:57:56 PM

Well, since you are a couple months off, there sure is no need to decide now. But things are looking GREAT for you as there will be new motherboards, chipsets, socket types, chips, video cards, etc. available by the time you are ready to decide.

All evidence that I have seen so far is saying that an NForce 3 250 Socket 939 Athlon 64 is going to be the way to go come May/June. I'll argue with anyone that a Pentium 4 2.8C is a valid if not great choice if you need to upgrade today, but come May it seems Intel won't have an answer to AMD's Athlon 64. But the future of A64 is looking so good it really shouldn't matter to you. Hopefully Intel will answer back with something to help lower the prices for us, but I'm not sure how long that will take.

Next few months should be exciting for you. Read up and ask here before you take the final plunge.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
March 17, 2004 11:09:28 AM

I realize this isnt the Motherboard forum, but lets face it anymore matching the right cpu to the right mobo can save you tons of headaches. Now I may be asking you guys to speculate but will the 939 socket boards have PCI-express? And say someone had a PCI-express board, could they use a current GPU like a 9800 in it or will it require PCI-express cards? Thanks for your help everyone
March 18, 2004 4:50:21 PM

I've heard that only one of the motherboard manufacturers has planned to release a mobo with both AGP and PCI-Express. The slots will be fundamentally different, and both electrically and mechanically incompatible.

BTW don't buy the first set of Geforce releases for PCI Express - they're just the current cards, with an AGP <-> Express bridge. I'm not going to plan on PCI Express for a very long time, because ATI cards are really terrible at running apps dual screen compared to nVidia's nView software, and I have seen no nVidia plans for a PCI Express card that I would consider buying.

I'm going to build a processing / RAID workstation, put my pro-GL grafix card in it, get a Radeon 9800 or something for my existing mobo, and then wait for PCI Express to mature and prove that it's going to actually <i>stay around</i> before buying. (unlike VESA local bus and Microchannel - remember those? exactly.)
!