Explorer.exe - Application error. Please help.

I have Windows XP Pro SP2. All updated up to date.

Every 2-3 shutdowns I get following error message:
'Explorer.exe - Applicaton Error. The instruction at "0x01252bdc" referenced
memory at "0x01f80960". The memory could not be read.'

Anyone has ideas on what is causing this?
2 answers Last reply
More about explorer application error help

    a64bit wrote:

    > I have Windows XP Pro SP2. All updated up to date.
    >
    > Every 2-3 shutdowns I get following error message:
    > 'Explorer.exe - Applicaton Error. The instruction at "0x01252bdc"
    > referenced memory at "0x01f80960". The memory could not be read.'
    >
    > Anyone has ideas on what is causing this?

    This could be caused by hardware or software. There is no way to tell
    from the information you've provided. Here are general troubleshooting
    steps for both software and hardware:

    For software issues - First check for malware after deleting all
    Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's Temporary Files, go to
    Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab. You'll see where you can
    delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear its cache by going to
    Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows Temporary files,
    Start>Run cleanmgr [enter]. To clear Sun Java's cache,
    Start>Settings>Control Panel>Java applet>Cache>Clear or follow the same
    path to the Java applet and then to General>Settings>Delete files.

    Then follow these detailed malware removal steps, doing everything with
    updated tools in Safe Mode. You can find all the links to referenced
    programs and sites on my website here:

    For hardware issues -

    1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
    observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
    you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
    and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

    2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
    have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
    download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
    the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
    need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
    download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
    In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
    immediately. Let the test run for an hour or two - unless errors are
    seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

    3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Download
    the file and make a bootable floppy or cd with it. Boot with the media
    and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical errors, replace it.

    4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
    you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
    laptop, although of course the power supply can be faulty.

    5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
    www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.

    Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
    with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
    uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
    computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Do you have Adobe reader installed? Try uninstalling it and see if this error will stop. If it does the re-install your Adobe reader

    --
    Peter

    "a64bit" <a64bit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F722379-314E-41B7-BA6F-4E53FB0E3081@microsoft.com...
    >I have Windows XP Pro SP2. All updated up to date.
    >
    > Every 2-3 shutdowns I get following error message:
    > 'Explorer.exe - Applicaton Error. The instruction at "0x01252bdc" referenced
    > memory at "0x01f80960". The memory could not be read.'
    >
    > Anyone has ideas on what is causing this?

Error Message Memory Microsoft Explorer Windows XP