Solved

Moving from IDE to AHCI

Hey Everyone,

I recently installed Windows 7 Home Premium on a new blank SATA hard drive which I had formatted using the default settings under Windows XP Disk Management.

Prior to installing Windows 7 on this PC, I disconnected my other SATA hard drives to preclude any issues during formatting/installation.

What I would like to know is whether changing the BIOS disk access mode from IDE to AHCI will impact my ability to access my old hard drives (once I reconnect them)?

Thank you.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about moving ahci
  1. Yes when you change the storage mode it changes the drivers that windows installs to communicate with the hard drive.
  2. Understand that when you make the change in BIOS Windows will no longer boot.

This may help you make the switch without having to reinstall: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/987378-how-to-switch-from-ide-to-ahci-without-repairingreinstalling-windows/
  3. Thank you for your responses.

Now provided that I get Windows 7 running on AHCI either by doing the reg. change etc, or by re-installing, what would I then need to do, if anything, to access the data on my old hard drives?
  4. Best answer
    N0Spin said:
    Thank you for your responses.

Now provided that I get Windows 7 running on AHCI either by doing the reg. change etc, or by re-installing, what would I then need to do, if anything, to access the data on my old hard drives?

Nothing, except maybe having to take ownership of the files/folders.
  5. ex_bubblehead said:
    Nothing, except maybe having to take ownership of the files/folders.

That was my most significant concern.

I was trying to figure out if needed to plow through a huge amount of cleanup and archiving (several 600GB HDs full of music, video and data, etc) BEFORE I attempt to switch the system over to use AHCI, and then add these data drives back in before I serialize this Windows 7 installation and lock down my hardware config.

I was hoping to pickup an SSD on sale (as a primary boot drive), but missed my chance on Cyber-Monday so now I'll probably just wait until the Christmas Eve or post holiday sales.

Thanks again. ;)
  6. Best answer selected by N0Spin.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Hard Drives SATA