Whats best way to back up a system?

I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
be back up and running in a couple hours.

Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?

--
2dogs in Oregon USA
35 answers Last reply

    /2dogs/ said:

    > I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
    > everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
    > hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
    > its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
    > etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
    > hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
    > be back up and running in a couple hours.
    >
    > Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?

    No.

    But an imaging utility will, provided that you keep current back ups. The
    one I use here restores 3+ gigs in less than 4 minutes - every file, every
    setting.

    There are several good tools for this purpose. Check out...
    http://terabyteunlimited.com (Image for Windows)
    http://ghost.com
    http://www.acronis.com/

    --
    For most XP answers and tweaks...
    http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

    2dogs wrote:

    > I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
    > everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
    > hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
    > its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
    > etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
    > hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
    > be back up and running in a couple hours.
    >
    > Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?

    As dev said, use a disk imaging program. Store the images on external
    media such as a USB/firewire external hard drive DVD or on another
    networked PC. Restores can be done of the complete partition or
    individual files and folders.

    Programs that do this are Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, and Terabyte
    Unlimited's Image for Windows and BootitNG.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    When recreating the system on a new drive using an image utility is it
    necessary to format, partition and install the operating system on the new
    drive before restoring from the backup drive?

    --
    2dogs in Oregon USA

    "2dogs" <2dogs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When recreating the system on a new drive using an image utility is it
    > necessary to format, partition and install the operating system on the new
    > drive before restoring from the backup drive?

    No.

    However, the new drive better be in the same system or it won't work.

    "Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote in message

    > "2dogs" <2dogs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> When recreating the system on a new drive using an image utility is it
    >> necessary to format, partition and install the operating system on the
    >> new
    >> drive before restoring from the backup drive?
    >
    > No.

    Will the process you described also work if the image drive is not a
    removable drive but is instead a second system hard drive used only for the
    image?
    --
    2dogs in Oregon USA

    2dogs wrote:
    > I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
    > everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
    > hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
    > its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
    > etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
    > hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
    > be back up and running in a couple hours.
    >
    > Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?

    Yup.

    That's what I use. I do once a week fulls, daily differentials and I
    keep 4 weeks' worth of backups.

    I've had to restore from a backup after my system device failed. Worked
    fine. I've also pulled individual files and folders out of backup files
    when I've brainfarted and deleted the wrong tree.

    please tell me more. so far averyone else has disagreed.

    Were you able to install a new drive and completely restore the backup to it
    without formatting, partitioning, or installing the operating system first?
    --
    2dogs in Oregon USA

    2dogs wrote:

    > please tell me more. so far averyone else has disagreed.
    >
    > Were you able to install a new drive and completely restore the backup to it
    > without formatting, partitioning, or installing the operating system first?

    Yes that can be done.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    2dogs wrote:
    > please tell me more. so far averyone else has disagreed.
    >
    > Were you able to install a new drive and completely restore the backup to it
    > without formatting, partitioning, or installing the operating system first?

    Ahh, sorry, I missed that. To restore from a Windows backup you must
    first format and install the O/S on the new drive (a bare installation
    is all you need) then you can restore the backup over the top of that.

    if you have a second hdd in the machine, you can ghost a bootable image to
    that drive, all that needs to be done in the event of failure is to change
    the jumper on the drive to become the master and boot 2 minute job, do this
    on a regular basis myself

    --
    there are no problems just challenges

    "Z" wrote:

    > 2dogs wrote:
    > > please tell me more. so far averyone else has disagreed.
    > >
    > > Were you able to install a new drive and completely restore the backup to it
    > > without formatting, partitioning, or installing the operating system first?
    >
    > Ahh, sorry, I missed that. To restore from a Windows backup you must
    > first format and install the O/S on the new drive (a bare installation
    > is all you need) then you can restore the backup over the top of that.

    sorry this can also be done with removable drives, again just change to
    master insert drive in the pc and boot again 2 minute job, no need to install
    windows format or anything else ghost takes care of the full process
    been a lifesaver for me on a number of occasions

    --

    steve.a wrote:
    > if you have a second hdd in the machine, you can ghost a bootable image to
    > that drive, all that needs to be done in the event of failure is to change
    > the jumper on the drive to become the master and boot 2 minute job, do this
    > on a regular basis myself

    That method allows you to save exactly one image. Useful if the hard
    drive failed, not useful if you need to go back to 5 days ago. And not
    useful if you need just a single file from 2 days ago.

    Windows backup will NOT work to meet all your demands.

    The most obvious solution is a RAID 0 configuration which I doubt you have
    RAID on your PC. So, will not continue on that.

    CLONING
    This copies the partition, filesystem, and all the files to another hard
    drive. There's no formatting or installing to do afterwards. It will act
    just like your current hard drive if made active for booting. The SID
    should be identical though. Remove the clone after the cloning operation.
    Do not leave connected to your PC.

    IMAGING
    This makes a copy of your partition, your filesystem, and all your files
    with the exception of the paging file and hibernation settings file. This
    is compressed into one or more files. It cannot be used for the original
    XP. Rather, the file or files must be restored using another hard drive as
    the target. After completion of restoration, the target hard drive will be
    a duplicate of the original hard drive.

    Many imaging type softwares also can perform cloning as an alternative.
    This is usually a selection called copying a drive.

    The target hard drive (where the copy is made to) should be the same size or
    larger for cloning.

    The target hard drive or partition for imaging may be smaller than the
    original. This is due to lack of copying the paging and hibernation
    settings files, compression, and only copies data not empty space. C:
    cannot be saved to C:, must be an alternate partition, hard drive, or DVD/CD
    writer. The two files mentioned are recreated by XP upon booting XP.

    > However, the new drive better be in the same system or it won't work.

    Could you expand on that statement please.
    I have a PC with XP networked with a P.C. with 98Se and I use True Image to
    copy the XP to the 98SE.
    Are you saying it won't work unless the 98SE is changed to XP?
    Blair

    "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message

    > "Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote in message
    >> However, the new drive better be in the same system or it won't work.
    >>
    > Could you expand on that statement please.
    > I have a PC with XP networked with a P.C. with 98Se and I use True Image
    > copy the XP to the 98SE.
    > Are you saying it won't work unless the 98SE is changed to XP?
    > Blair

    The images are complete backups, including system files and drivers. No,
    you cannot copy XP to another computer...even XP if it is not identical in
    every single way.

    > please tell me more. so far averyone else has disagreed.
    >
    > Were you able to install a new drive and completely restore the backup to
    > it
    > without formatting, partitioning, or installing the operating system
    > first?
    > --
    > 2dogs in Oregon USA
    >

    > "Z" wrote:
    >
    >> 2dogs wrote:
    >> > I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
    >> > everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If
    >> > my
    >> > hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and
    >> > all
    >> > its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users,
    >> > and
    >> > etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a
    >> > new
    >> > hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup
    >> > drive and
    >> > be back up and running in a couple hours.
    >> >
    >> > Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?
    >>
    >> Yup.
    >>
    >> That's what I use. I do once a week fulls, daily differentials and I
    >> keep 4 weeks' worth of backups.
    >>
    >> I've had to restore from a backup after my system device failed. Worked
    >> fine. I've also pulled individual files and folders out of backup files
    >> when I've brainfarted and deleted the wrong tree.

    Before you restore/install anything the media/drive needs to be prepared
    that is formatted. Partitioning can take place after you have restored
    provided you have suitable software for the task (partition manger et al).

    "Z" wrote:
    >> if you have a second hdd in the machine, you can ghost
    >> a bootable image to that drive, all that needs to be done
    >> in the event of failure is to change the jumper on the drive
    >> to become the master and boot 2 minute job, do this
    >> on a regular basis myself
    >>

    > That method allows you to save exactly one image. Useful
    > if the hard drive failed, not useful if you need to go back to
    > 5 days ago. And not useful if you need just a single file from
    > 2 days ago.

    1) Ghost and Casper XP (and a few other utilities) can make
    a bootable image (i.e. a "clone") of a single partition and
    put it among other partitions on another HD. If your OS-to-
    be-archived is small enough and the destination HD is
    large enough, you can put several clones on a single
    backup HD. If you put enough entries in each clone's
    boot.ini file (one entry for each partition on the backup HD),
    any partition on the backup HD can act as the loader (i.e.
    act as the "system" partition in Microsoft's terminology) to
    load any of the other partitions.

    All that is necessary to boot any one of the partitions is
    to make one of the primary partitions "active", and that
    partition will be the "system" partition, i.e. it will run the
    loader and present the boot menu. To make the backup
    HD take control for booting, you can remove or disconnect
    the main HD, or you can simply readjust the HD boot order
    in the BIOS to put the backup HD at the head of the boot order.

    To backup 5 OSes on a single HD, you can have a maximum
    of 3 partitions be Primary partitions - any one of which can
    marked as the "active" partition that will do the loading - and
    the 4th partition can be an Extended partition which can hold
    several more clones, each clone selectable for loading by
    the boot.ini file residing in one of the Primary partitions.

    2) A simpler system would involve copying the main HD to one of
    several backup HDs, each backup HD sitting in a removable
    tray. For that operation, you can use not only Ghost or
    Casper XP, but also True Image (which can only clone an
    entire HD, not just a designated partition). The single partition
    on the backup HD would always be the "active" partition, and
    no knowledge of boot.ini syntax would be necessary.

    To use a backup HD, just slide in the appropriate tray, remove
    or disconnect the main HD, or readjust the BIOS's HD boot order
    to put the backup HD at the head of the boot order, and restart
    the computer.

    3) To just copy a file from the backup HD, just connect it or slide
    in its removable tray and boot up. The backup partition will
    be visible to the running OS as just another Local Disk, and
    you can drag 'n drop files between the partitions.

    4) CAUTION: When starting up a clone for the 1st time, don't
    let it see its "parent" OS, or it will forever be dependent on
    the continued presence of its "parent". Once it has booted
    and run for the 1st time independently, it can be allowed to
    to see its "parent" OS with no problems.

    Making the "parent" invisible can be done in several ways:
    a) Simply disconnect or remove the source HD,
    b) Cut the power to the source HD (works best if the 2 HDs
    are on different IDE channels),
    c) Use Partition Magic to "hide" the source partition
    (done from a bootable floppy or an OS on a 3rd partition).

    *TimDaniels*

    In article <7AD7E0B3-DCFB-4D3F-8C66-28900F2E8C50@microsoft.com>,
    2dogs@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
    > everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
    > hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
    > its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
    > etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
    > hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
    > be back up and running in a couple hours.
    >
    > Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?

    You want to make a GHOST Image of your entire drive to a file on a
    external drive so that you have a PERFECT Image of the system at the
    time of the image - you can then restore the image as needed, even
    resizing drive partitions, and it will work perfectly.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    In article <89FA10B8-8306-4BE1-8ED4-E732AC02CAC0@microsoft.com>,
    2dogs@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > When recreating the system on a new drive using an image utility is it
    > necessary to format, partition and install the operating system on the new
    > drive before restoring from the backup drive?

    Not using Ghost (or most of the others) - the Image, including all disk
    info (to make it bootable) is included in the Image Saved and in the
    Image Restored - this would be a DISK IMAGE, not a partition image.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "steve.a" wrote:
    > sorry this can also be done with removable drives, again just change to
    > master insert drive in the pc and boot again 2 minute job, no need to install
    > windows format or anything else ghost takes care of the full process
    > been a lifesaver for me on a number of occasions

    What is done with the main drive? If it remains in the computer
    and it and the removable HD were put on the same cable (i.e.
    same IDE channel), the BIOS's default HD boot order would
    select the main HD (the Master) for booting. If the main HD were
    always jumpered as Slave to allow the removable HD to take over
    as Master whenever it appeared, the main HD wouldn't boot when
    the removable HD were present for the cloning. For the simple
    slide-in-and-take-over to work, the main drive would have to be
    on the 2nd IDE channel (as Master or Slave), and the removable
    HD would have to be on the 1st IDE channel. That is because the
    default HD boot order gives the 1st channel (ch. 0) precedence
    over the 2nd channel (ch. 1).

    If the 2 HDs are to be on the same channel at the same time,
    the BIOS's HD boot order must be changed to put the appropriate
    HD at the head of the boot order.

    Of course, none of this has to be dealt with if the both the main HD
    and the backup HD are in removable trays and insertable into 2
    separate racks. Then, simply removing the main HD would pass
    booting control to the backup HD.

    *TimDaniels*
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article <cYNVe.12109$tc7.6357@fe03.lga>, Z@no.spam says...
    > 2dogs wrote:
    > > I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
    > > everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
    > > hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
    > > its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
    > > etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a new
    > > hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive and
    > > be back up and running in a couple hours.
    > >
    > > Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?
    >
    > Yup.
    >
    > That's what I use. I do once a week fulls, daily differentials and I
    > keep 4 weeks' worth of backups.
    >
    > I've had to restore from a backup after my system device failed. Worked
    > fine. I've also pulled individual files and folders out of backup files
    > when I've brainfarted and deleted the wrong tree.

    While NT Backup will work, it's no where near as simple as using Ghost
    or other third party IMAGE programs.

    In order to run NT Backup you have to be running the OS and have a
    working copy of Windows running - now, if you don't have Windows in a
    working order, you have to reinstall it, get your backups, restore them
    properly over-top of the OS and then it will work.

    With an Image, you boot from Diskette or CD, run the Image program,
    select the Source File, select the Destination Drive, done.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article <#gYXpxOuFHA.3400@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
    says...
    > 2dogs wrote:
    >
    > > please tell me more. so far averyone else has disagreed.
    > >
    > > Were you able to install a new drive and completely restore the backup to it
    > > without formatting, partitioning, or installing the operating system first?
    >
    > Yes that can be done.

    On a single machine, without installing the OS, you can not run Windows
    BACKUP to restore the backup.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:
    > On a single machine, without installing the OS, you can not run Windows
    > BACKUP to restore the backup.

    A terrible oversight that I hope the Vista console corrects.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote in message
    > >> However, the new drive better be in the same system or it won't work.
    > >>
    > > Could you expand on that statement please.
    > > I have a PC with XP networked with a P.C. with 98Se and I use True Image
    > > copy the XP to the 98SE.
    > > Are you saying it won't work unless the 98SE is changed to XP?
    > > Blair
    > >

    > The images are complete backups, including system files and drivers. No,
    > you cannot copy XP to another computer...even XP if it is not identical in
    > every single way.

    I am devastated! I have assumed that when I copied my image from XP PC to my
    98 PC that it was a self contained file and when I wished to restore it
    would restore it complete without any reference to the 98 operating system
    on the PC.
    You are telling me that I have been wasting my time and it wouldn't have
    worked!
    What I believed was that I was copying the whole disk and not copying XP
    Blair
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Ghost

    "2dogs" <2dogs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
    > everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
    > hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
    > its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
    > etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a
    > new
    > hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup drive
    > and
    > be back up and running in a couple hours.
    >
    > Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?
    >

    > --
    > 2dogs in Oregon USA
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <#gYXpxOuFHA.3400@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, rock@mail.nospam.net
    > says...
    >
    >>2dogs wrote:
    >>

    >>>please tell me more. so far averyone else has disagreed.
    >>>
    >>>Were you able to install a new drive and completely restore the backup to it
    >>>without formatting, partitioning, or installing the operating system first?
    >>
    >>Yes that can be done.
    >

    > On a single machine, without installing the OS, you can not run Windows
    > BACKUP to restore the backup.

    I didn't think we were talking about windows backup.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    On Tuesday 13 September 2005 08:35 pm, 2dogs had this to say in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > I want a means of backing up my whole system, applications, data, and
    > everything including the operating system to a separate hard drive. If my
    > hard disk dies I don't want to have to reload the operating system and all
    > its updates, reload all my software and their updates, recreate users, and
    > etc, etc, etc. This literally takes days. I want to be able to put in a
    > new hard drive and completely recreate my entire system from my backup
    > drive and be back up and running in a couple hours.
    >
    > Will the backup utility supplied with XP do this?

    Of course not. What INCLUDED software that comes bundled with XP can be
    relied upon to do much of anything? One usually has to find a third-party
    app to get full functionality for a particular job.

    Personally, I'd suggest you look at Acronis True Image software. It'll allow
    you to disk image your XP hard drive to a file or files on your other drive
    and makes for quick and easy recovery should you need to of everything on
    your main hard drive.

    --
    Now this is Eye-Candy! Most beautiful desktop in the world.
    Checkout ELive - a live Linux CD - run R17

    In news:D102B212-DEBC-47DA-8E4A-6051E9222404@microsoft.com,
    2dogs <2dogs@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Will the process you described also work if the image drive is
    > not a
    > removable drive but is instead a second system hard drive used
    > only
    > for the image?

    Yes, imaging works identically whether or not the drive is
    removable.

    However, if you're planning on backing up to a non-removable hard
    drive, I urge you to rethink that strategy. I don't recommend
    backup to a second non-removable hard drive because it leaves you
    susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original and backup to
    many of the most common dangers: severe power glitches, nearby
    lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer.

    In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not
    kept in the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for
    example, if the life of your business depends on your data) you
    should have multiple generations of backup, and at least one of
    those generations should be stored off-site.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >> I use Acronis True Image.
    >> I connected my removable HD.
    >> Opened True Image and Imaged my C drive to the removable
    >> HD......True Image did the rest
    >> True Image lets you put a Start Up recovery manager in the
    >> boot
    >> process.This shows up on your screen before XP loads and tells
    >> you
    >> if you wish to start the Manager to push F?.When you do this
    >> True
    >> Image Starts and you can restore a saved image without being
    >> in XP.
    >> By Imaging my C drive to a removable HD I can and have removed
    >> my C
    >> drive and booted with the removable HD.It is an exact copy af
    >> the
    >> drive at that point in time.By saving Images of various
    >> Partitions
    >> onto another drive you can restore that partition to the point
    >> in
    >> time that you imaged it.Images will need to be updated when
    >> you have
    >> changes.
    >> I was worth what I paid for it.
    >> peterk
    >>
    >> --
    >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve
    >> Wozniak "2dogs" <2dogs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >>> When recreating the system on a new drive using an image
    >>> utility is
    >>> it necessary to format, partition and install the operating
    >>> system
    >>> on the new drive before restoring from the backup drive?
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> 2dogs in Oregon USA

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
    > What is done with the main drive? If it remains in the computer
    > and it and the removable HD were put on the same cable (i.e.
    > same IDE channel), the BIOS's default HD boot order would
    > select the main HD (the Master) for booting. If the main HD were
    > always jumpered as Slave to allow the removable HD to take over
    > as Master whenever it appeared, the main HD wouldn't boot when
    > the removable HD were present for the cloning. For the simple
    > slide-in-and-take-over to work, the main drive would have to be
    > on the 2nd IDE channel (as Master or Slave), and the removable
    > HD would have to be on the 1st IDE channel. That is because the
    > default HD boot order gives the 1st channel (ch. 0) precedence
    > over the 2nd channel (ch. 1).
    >
    > If the 2 HDs are to be on the same channel at the same time,
    > the BIOS's HD boot order must be changed to put the appropriate
    > HD at the head of the boot order.
    >
    > Of course, none of this has to be dealt with if the both the main HD
    > and the backup HD are in removable trays and insertable into 2
    > separate racks. Then, simply removing the main HD would pass
    > booting control to the backup HD.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    No doubt the OP is long-gone, thoroughly confused over the complexity of
    this thread as it has evolved since his or her original query. I hope that's
    not the case, but I fear it is.

    Anyway, I hope he or she will forgive me for not specifically responding to
    his/her query while I respond to Tim's comments. And I hope (most likely, a
    forlorn one) that the OP will gain some measure of understanding from all
    that has gone on re the discussion of this issue.

    Tim, I think you know from my previous postings that I am a strong proponent
    of users equipping their desktop computers with *two* removable hard drives
    in their mobile racks. For many reasons (which I won't go into here) it is,
    in my view, a most desirable hardware configuration for many, if not most
    desktop PC users. The flexibility & peace of mind one gains from this
    arrangement is enormous. But we'll leave any further discussion of the
    advantages of removable drives for another day, OK?

    However, we frequently find that for one reason or another (usually the lack
    of two available 5 1/4" bays), the user can install only one removable HD.
    Their other HD will be an internal one. In that situation our usual
    configuration method (of course, I'm speaking of PATA drives here) is to
    connect the removable drive as Primary Master and the internal one as
    Secondary Master. The removable drive becomes the user's day-to-day working
    drive while the internal one acts as recipient of the clone for backup
    purposes. Under these circumstances the system will ordinarily boot to the
    removable HD. Should the removable drive be disconnected (a simple turn of
    the keylock to the OFF position), the system will boot to the internal HD.

    In cloning the contents of one drive to another we usually work with Ghost's
    2003 bootable floppy disk (or bootable CD), or if using the Acronis True
    Image program, the ATI bootable CD. The process is simple, straightforward,
    and effective.

    Having said all this, let me reiterate my opinion that the most desirable
    hardware configuration for many, if not most PC users to equip their desktop
    computer with *two* removable drives. Should that be not feasible, we
    recommend that a USB/Firewire external hard drive be employed for backup
    purposes, rather than an internal HD. Obviously a more secure backup system
    will result from having an external device rather than an internal one as
    the recipient of the clone. But, for one reason or another, should the user
    be unable or unwilling to use a removable or external drive for backing up
    their system, then a internal drive will have to suffice. We do *not*
    recommend using a different (separate) partition on a single drive for
    backup purposes.

    So, to summarize, using a removable HD and an internal HD, viable clones of
    one's system can be created using a disk imaging program such as the ones
    discussed.
    Anna
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote:

    >I am devastated! I have assumed that when I copied my image from XP PC to my
    >98 PC that it was a self contained file and when I wished to restore it
    >would restore it complete without any reference to the 98 operating system
    >on the PC.
    >You are telling me that I have been wasting my time and it wouldn't have
    >worked!
    >What I believed was that I was copying the whole disk and not copying XP
    >Blair

    You have misunderstood.

    Where the backup image is stored is basically irrelevant, provided the
    drive is accessible and has enough capacity.

    What the original comment meant was that when you restore an image you
    must restore it to the same PC that it was created from, otherwise
    there will be problems.

    You cannot make a backup image of Computer A: and then restore that
    image to the hard drive of Computer B:, thereby obtaining two
    functioning computers (A and B) with the same operating system,
    installed apps, etc.

    Hope this clarifies the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article <vfohi1520kae9m83gu912gb63nmqnm7n3p@4ax.com>,
    ron.martell@gmail.com says...
    > What the original comment meant was that when you restore an image you
    > must restore it to the same PC that it was created from, otherwise
    > there will be problems.
    >
    > You cannot make a backup image of Computer A: and then restore that
    > image to the hard drive of Computer B:, thereby obtaining two
    > functioning computers (A and B) with the same operating system,
    > installed apps, etc.
    >
    > Hope this clarifies the situation.

    Actually, if you consider a "repair/reinstall" you can restore the image
    and regain full use of your system. I just did three of these over the
    weekend and found it worked perfectly.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

    >Actually, if you consider a "repair/reinstall" you can restore the image
    >and regain full use of your system. I just did three of these over the
    >weekend and found it worked perfectly.

    The need to do a Repair Install and also to provide a different
    product key, are what I was alluding to when I said "otherwise
    there will be problems".

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > "Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote:
    >

    > >I am devastated! I have assumed that when I copied my image from XP PC to
    my
    > >98 PC that it was a self contained file and when I wished to restore it
    > >would restore it complete without any reference to the 98 operating
    system
    > >on the PC.
    > >You are telling me that I have been wasting my time and it wouldn't have
    > >worked!
    > >What I believed was that I was copying the whole disk and not copying XP
    > >Blair
    > >

    > You have misunderstood.
    >
    > Where the backup image is stored is basically irrelevant, provided the
    > drive is accessible and has enough capacity.
    >
    > What the original comment meant was that when you restore an image you
    > must restore it to the same PC that it was created from, otherwise
    > there will be problems.
    >
    > You cannot make a backup image of Computer A: and then restore that
    > image to the hard drive of Computer B:, thereby obtaining two
    > functioning computers (A and B) with the same operating system,
    > installed apps, etc.
    >
    > Hope this clarifies the situation.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thanks for clarifying what was intended in the original comment. I am
    relieved
    Regards
    Blair
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article <brqji1l31fldbbinbt85t127i0t0hnh6vd@4ax.com>,
    ron.martell@gmail.com says...
    > Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
    >

    > >Actually, if you consider a "repair/reinstall" you can restore the image
    > >and regain full use of your system. I just did three of these over the
    > >weekend and found it worked perfectly.
    >

    > The need to do a Repair Install and also to provide a different
    > product key, are what I was alluding to when I said "otherwise
    > there will be problems".

    You can use the same product key/COA as long as it's a repair - you are
    even permitted to restore an OEM install to a new board as long as it
    was to replace a defective board.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me