does this make sense? episode 2

bullseye

I posted a question about whether scandisk corrupts Windows a few days ago
(and the Dell tech's recommendation).

The same escalation tech called back to follow up. He mentioned that Dell
is aware of customers' service issues and the call back was evidence of the
company's efforts to improve. I told him this move is in the right
direction and to keep it up. I have griped on occasion in here about Dell's
awful service but in all fairness, if this call indicates a new trend, then
Dell ought to have many happy customers (and more income from these
customers).

As important, the tech is adamant about his recommendation about performing
scandisk only once or twice a month. When I told him about the responses I
got in this forum, he explained that there is a known issue with Scandisk
(and Windows?). Scandisk is known to corrupt Windows and that scanning the
drive repeatedly will increase the probability of this to occur. (He says
he has first hand experience with scandisk killing a machine and erasing all
data.)

Does this make sense?

"bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message

> I posted a question about whether scandisk corrupts Windows a few days ago

Scandisk is known to corrupt Windows and that scanning the
> drive repeatedly will increase the probability of this to occur.

Buffalo Bagels.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

On rare occasions, this happened with scandisk in the 9x operating systems
when the user chose to have scandisk automatically repair all errors.

It is not a problem in Windows XP, which replaced scandisk with Disk Error
Checking.

Rocky

"bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message

> I posted a question about whether scandisk corrupts Windows a few days ago
> (and the Dell tech's recommendation).
>
> The same escalation tech called back to follow up. He mentioned that Dell
> is aware of customers' service issues and the call back was evidence of
the
> company's efforts to improve. I told him this move is in the right
> direction and to keep it up. I have griped on occasion in here about
Dell's
> awful service but in all fairness, if this call indicates a new trend,
then
> Dell ought to have many happy customers (and more income from these
> customers).
>
> As important, the tech is adamant about his recommendation about
performing
> scandisk only once or twice a month. When I told him about the responses
> got in this forum, he explained that there is a known issue with Scandisk
> (and Windows?). Scandisk is known to corrupt Windows and that scanning
the
> drive repeatedly will increase the probability of this to occur. (He says
> he has first hand experience with scandisk killing a machine and erasing
all
> data.)
>
> Does this make sense?

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 18:55:49 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "bullseye"
<bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote:

>As important, the tech is adamant about his recommendation about performing
>scandisk only once or twice a month. When I told him about the responses I
>got in this forum, he explained that there is a known issue with Scandisk
>(and Windows?). Scandisk is known to corrupt Windows and that scanning the
>drive repeatedly will increase the probability of this to occur. (He says
>he has first hand experience with scandisk killing a machine and erasing all
>data.)
>
>Does this make sense?

I would suggest asking him to point you to someplace this is actually
documented. I've never heard of anything like this, and from the responses
you got from others I don't think anybody else has heard of it either.

In one of the older versions of Windows (95 or 98), there was a problem some
people ran into with the defragmenter occasionally corrupting a file. From
my experience and posts by others seeing the same problem, apparently the
problem only occurred if a directory had an extremely large number of files.

But I don't remember any problems with scandisk/chkdsk.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.

More info on Buffalo bagels:

"Mule Fritters!"
http://www.robotjohnny.com/archives/2004/04/mule_fritters.php

Rocky

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
message news:2i6smnFjpaj9U1@uni-berlin.de...
> "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I posted a question about whether scandisk corrupts Windows a few days
ago

> Scandisk is known to corrupt Windows and that scanning the
> > drive repeatedly will increase the probability of this to occur.
>

> Buffalo Bagels.

> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message

> I posted a question about whether scandisk corrupts Windows a few days ago
> (and the Dell tech's recommendation).
> <snip>
> As important, the tech is adamant about his recommendation about
performing
> scandisk only once or twice a month. When I told him about the responses
> got in this forum, he explained that there is a known issue with Scandisk
> (and Windows?). Scandisk is known to corrupt Windows and that scanning
the
> drive repeatedly will increase the probability of this to occur. (He says
> he has first hand experience with scandisk killing a machine and erasing
all
> data.)
>
> Does this make sense?

I don't know if this is related or not -- but there is a known problem is in
the high end SCSI RAID controller(s). It is a known issue with Dell (Perc
2, Perc 3 et al); the drives are not checked for problems while powered up
(There is a lot more to it than this, but this is the SHORT summary). Net
result, the drive goes bad and the controller won't detect it. When you
perform a scandisk, it checks every sector of the drive(s), and shuckey
darns, it finds a bad one (or bad drive)...

There was an alert sent out at a MAJOR company that I worked for about
"don't reset the systems" due to a known problem with Dell controllers.
(I've yet to see a follow up announcement about the problem being fixed, or
for that matter a general acknowledgement that there is a solution to the
problem). The bottom line: If you scandisk (or reboot) your server, you
*may* loose your drive(s) (and data!).

The funny thing about it -- when I asked the Dell representative for more
detailed information about the problem, the reply that I received was
"encrypted" such that there was no way to copy it (Thank you MS); or even
get a screen shot of it. Full acknowledgement of the problem and that the
fact that Dell was aware of it.

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:47:12 -0400, "HillBillyBuddhist"
<hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

>"bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I posted a question about whether scandisk corrupts Windows a few days ago
>
> Scandisk is known to corrupt Windows and that scanning the
>> drive repeatedly will increase the probability of this to occur.
>

>Buffalo Bagels.

Power loss or brownout while running scandisk??

SRS

bullseye

<snip>

> Power loss or brownout while running scandisk??

No. (In this incident, I discovered that the latest ZoneAlarm update,
version 5, is corrupt. I reverted back to ZoneAlarm 4.5 and solved the
scandisk problem.)

TRENDING THREADS