Using VPN across a MN-700 Wireless BaseStation

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Wireless
  • Connection
  • VPN
  • Microsoft
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
a b F Wireless
September 2, 2004 11:27:33 PM

I connect with my office network via VPN over the
internet. I can do this no problem using a computer
hardwired directly to my Cable Modem. But any computer on
my home network connected via ethernet or wireless
through the MN 700 Wireless Base Station and then the
Cable Modem cannot communicate via VPN. I have worked
through this problem extensively with Microsoft telephone
assistance for the last year without any success. As a
result I have to disconnect my MN 700 whenever I need to
contact the office via VPN.

Has anyone else succeeded in making a VPN connection
through a Microsoft MN 700 Base Station or is this a
basic flaw in the design of this hardware? If it is
possible, what settings on the base station need to be
changed?

More about : vpn 700 wireless basestation

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 3, 2004 1:21:48 PM

It would be extremely useful to know what VPN client software you are
talking about.

"Chris Morry" <cmorry@rogers.com> wrote in message
> I connect with my office network via VPN over the
> internet. I can do this no problem using a computer
> hardwired directly to my Cable Modem. But any computer on
> my home network connected via ethernet or wireless
> through the MN 700 Wireless Base Station and then the
> Cable Modem cannot communicate via VPN. I have worked
> through this problem extensively with Microsoft telephone
> assistance for the last year without any success. As a
> result I have to disconnect my MN 700 whenever I need to
> contact the office via VPN.
>
> Has anyone else succeeded in making a VPN connection
> through a Microsoft MN 700 Base Station or is this a
> basic flaw in the design of this hardware? If it is
> possible, what settings on the base station need to be
> changed?
September 3, 2004 10:24:40 PM

Since you provided so little information the only thing I can recommend
you do is persistent port forward whatever ports are needed by your VPN.

Chris Morry wrote:

> I connect with my office network via VPN over the
> internet. I can do this no problem using a computer
> hardwired directly to my Cable Modem. But any computer on
> my home network connected via ethernet or wireless
> through the MN 700 Wireless Base Station and then the
> Cable Modem cannot communicate via VPN. I have worked
> through this problem extensively with Microsoft telephone
> assistance for the last year without any success. As a
> result I have to disconnect my MN 700 whenever I need to
> contact the office via VPN.
>
> Has anyone else succeeded in making a VPN connection
> through a Microsoft MN 700 Base Station or is this a
> basic flaw in the design of this hardware? If it is
> possible, what settings on the base station need to be
> changed?
Related resources
September 5, 2004 6:41:13 AM

If you are using cisco client, try making MN-700's
address to 192.168.1.1 at its LAN settings.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 6, 2004 10:11:13 PM

Hi:

It is Novell Contivity. The built in VPN settings in
Windows don't work on dial-up, direct Cable or via the MN-
700. But Contivity works by dial-up or directly to the
Cable but not through the MN-700.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

!