64 Bit & PCI Express

DukeD

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2004
Ok... so they're coming out with the pci Express slots for the new vids. Do you think it's going to make things so radically different that it's worth the wait? Much better gaming etc?

I'm getting ready to go for it & build a new machine with 64 bit, asus delux board.... good fast Ram, etc. Don't want to invest in this if things are going to get much, much better video wise. Seems I read an article about this upcoming video change and they predicted great things but if it's going to take a year or two, who cares... I'll be building a new machine again by then.

Your thoughts? Thanks all. You all are a great help .

-Duke-

just trying to put a little distance......
..... between causes and effects

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
initialy i doubt there will be much improvement. but down the line i suspect it will be the same as all other new slots. just as it was when vid cards went pci, and the same when they went agp.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah another vote says it probably won't be much faster/if any right away. But at least you will be able to use a PCIe card if/when it is faster.

If you don't want to wait that long, at least wait 2 weeks or so until the NForce 3 250 socket 754 boards come out. These are looking to be better than any current option and are so close to hitting the streets it seems. You won't have PCIe, but a better chipset/mobo.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
I'm not going to hold my breath for PCI Express, because my systems are starting to all be pretty dated, and the Geforce PCX line is just going to be rehashes of the FX line, with an AGP <-> Express bridge on the card to make it plug in to the new bus. I see some good cards coming out far down the road for it maybe, but by then any processors / ram / etc. I'd buy today would be pretty obsolete for plugging a brand new grafix card into.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All your cards will become outdated, like old ISA cards did. But that will take quite some time. If it's easy for you to wait, wait. If it's difficult to wait, build.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
The video card people aren't using all the bandwidth in an agp 4X card mostly. The 8X is not even half the bandwidth of express 16X, so maybe in 2 to 3 years we'll need it.