Downloaded Program Files Folder

I have the Winfixer 2005 problem on my computer. I don't know how to classify
it, as a virus or spyware or what. It seems to be a problem for a lot of
people. Anyway, it keeps trying to install itself on my computer as
Winfixer2005, WinAntiVirus Pro 2005, or as WinAntiSpyware2005. I intend to
format my computer and start over to get rid of it.

But in trying to get rid of it, I have run several spyware programs which
have identified several files/folders that contain parts of it. One such
folder is "C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files." Initially, when I received
this information, I clicked on "My computer," "Windows," "Downloaded Program
Files" to try to find the questionable folder/file. But when I viewed the
contents of "Downloaded Program Files," the questionable file was not listed
there. The title of the left column was "Program File" and some of the files
listed were "Shockwave ActiveX Control," "Java Runtime Environment 1.4.2, and
"Shockwave Flash Object." There were 23 files in all.

Winfixer did manage to download an installer icon onto my desktop. To try to
find the path for the installer, I right clicked on the icon, clicked
"Properties," and clicked "Find Target." A window appeared (the kind you get
when you click "My Computer") showing the installer icon. It was by itself. I
clicked on the back arrow to see which folder this installer resided in and
it was "Downloaded Program Files." However, the files listed in this
"Downloaded Program Files" folder were totally different from the ones I
found through the process described in paragraph 1 above. The files in this
second folder were mostly .dll, .dat, .inf and .ocx files. Also, the
installer file was there.

The question I have is, why were the contents of these two "Downloaded
Program Files" folders, which had the same title and path, completely
different from each other?

--
joebat23

Hi,

That folder normally contains IE plug-ins. Why you were seeing differing
contents is because at certain points you were set to see files only of a
certain type or extension. In the open/save dialogs, note the bottom line
that uses "files of type", it has to be changed to all files in order to see
everything.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/