Dual-monitor set up for $500

Apennyworth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: next few days

Budget Range: $200-250 per monitor

Monitor Usage from Most to Least Important: watching movies, PS3 and PC gaming, multitasking

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com or a local Best Buy or Fry's maybe

Country of Origin: US

Brand Preferences: Samsung, Asus, LG I think are the popular ones

Physical Size (Diagonal): 22+

Resolution(s) You'll Consider: 1920 X 1080 or 1920 X 1200

Inputs Needed: HDMI for PS3, DVI or HDMI for PC

Panel Type(s) Desired: no-preference really

LED Backlight : not sure

Speakers : indifferent

Wall-Mount: I'd like the option, but probably won't wall-mount them

Stand Functions: basic functions at least

Additional Comments: I just bought two 23'' LG IPS236V for $230 each (here's a link to the 22'' version: IPS 226V. I'm having problems get a nice black from the monitor compared to my 5 or so year old Samsung 940T LCD monitor as if there's some bleed through. With a complete black desktop it also seems like the blacks are uneven. I'm kinda disappointed considering it is an IPS. Are there any resources I can use as diagnostics to see it's a faulty monitor?

So, if I need to, I'll return these and get something else. I thought I would like LED thinking the newer technology would be better, but if it looks bad in comparison to my 5 year old Samsung, then maybe not. Any suggestions would be awesome, thanks!

Apennyworth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I went ahead and unpacked the other IPS monitor that I bought and it doesn't seem to have noticeable uneven black levels. I do wish they had some height adjustment though, because for some reason one seems to be about 2 mm taller than the other =/. I might go take back the first one I opened if their return policy doesn't have anything annoying like a $25 restock fee or something. Without having another monitor to compare the black levels to, these aren't so bad and I'll probably get used to them pretty quickly.

Anyone have any stories of Best Buy's return policy on slightly faulty monitors? If I can find better monitors for about the same price and it's not going to be a hassle to return these, I'll definitely go through the process to do so.

@cloudy2010 That's ok, but it doesn't have the necessary ports I need, it just has VGA. I either need an HDMI + DVI (for PS3 and PC) or 2 HDMI (for PS3 + DVI->HDMI adapter for PC).

If the height difference is only 2mm, you can put some sheets of scratch paper under the shorter one to make them line up better. I doubt you'll find a monitor in your price range that is manufactured with tight enough tolerances to make the black levels look completely even on every unit shipped.